Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Development Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This might be a difficult question to answer, however here it goes...

considering i had a domain worth $x.

how much would the domain be worth when it is developed w/o strong activity?

how much would the domain be worth when it is developed with strong activity?

[edit: please tell me the value relative to x if possible]

are there any members who have had experience of selling developed web sites? what are your experiences?

thanks in advance...

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it is simply impossible to answer with an algorithm.

If the site is developed badly enough, and with no traffic, it could actually result in a division of x (less than x), for a non recognizable domain name.

Generally speaking, the price goes up as it is further developed and it has more traffic.

But I sincerely think it is simply not possible to put a function parameter on it...

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i thought that i would get an answer like this.

suppose the developed site had the same graphical skill applied to that of www.absolutecross.com, partnered with above average php applied.

or if you cant answer that question, maybe you could tell me whether it is worth developing a site if i had the appropriate skills in php and photoshop.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have the right skills, *any* domain is worth developing. Of course, the better the domain name and the site, the better its value.
If you have such advanced skills in php (and mySQL) and related technologies, you woukld probably make more money making sites for others than just selling the domain names...
:)

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
If you have the right skills, *any* domain is worth developing. Of course, the better the domain name and the site, the better its value.
No true, you need visitors and such.
seeker said:
If you have such advanced skills in php (and mySQL) and related technologies, you woukld probably make more money making sites for others than just selling the domain names...
not true, I know from expierience.
Very little room for programming.
Best,
- Jordan

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
experience changes with age I guess.

visitors come where the SE tells them (other than type ins).
Then, the contents makes a big difference.
does 'google' mean anything to you???
it was developed...

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
experience changes with age I guess.

visitors come where the SE tells them (other than type ins).
Then, the contents makes a big difference.
does 'google' mean anything to you???
it was developed...
they got the word out.

it didnt ust APPEAR on the web.

I first heard about google through word of mouth.

sites need to be submitted and optimized to benefit from se traffic.

still doesnt relate to your comment.

Best regards,
- Jordan

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hotdog_pk said:
or if you cant answer that question, maybe you could tell me whether it is worth developing a site if i had the appropriate skills in php and photoshop.
In generic terms, its hard to answer this question. If you have a good idea, and domain name, then you can expect that the more you develop the site, the more its worth. However, as seeker was saying, a badly developed website might not sell, or sell for less than just the domain name. On the other hand, a well developed, awesome site, about something no one cares about, also might not sell.

Spend some time looking through the Platinum->websites for sale forum. Lots of nice sites selling for low $, high $ or medium bucks. A few sites not selling at all, poor implementation, simple template mods, or the site's concept or idea was a "labor of love" by the developer, and does not apply to the people who buy in this forums. There's a couple of GREAT sites in there that haven't sold, but you can see where huge amounts of time and skill have gone into their implementation.

To turn your question around. If you feel you have good skills, and want to build a portfolio, then I'm sure you could advertise your services, and get people to pay YOU to develop THEIR names and ideas. Sure, this forum can be a tough crowd, but that's because people here are more or less "in the business". Maybe you can develop sites here, but sell them elsewhere to the general public. Heck, if you work cheap, you can develop some of my DNs and ideas...

Okay, if your question is really not as generic as you've made it to be, and you actually are talking about a specific domain name and site idea and whether you should develop it, then you need to air it out with your peers or your support group. Maybe ask for help publically, and continue the discussion in private with whomever responds.

But remember, keep in mind where the advice is coming from. Everyone's got an opinion, but not every opinion should be followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom