Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Did anybody land any good Gmail account names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Android said:
there are tons of words left, just no names (First or Last)

I have always been a little hesitant in using my name in emails anyways..

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not a GMail account, but I got [email protected] back in '97. Spam was my knickname at the time. I keep it active just in case... get a lot of spam complaints -- good thing Bigfoot only delivers 50 messages a day on free accounts.

I would like a gmail account, but don't have the connections, I guess -- anyone have an invite laying around they want to trade for a domain or two, or a couple eNom regs?

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to fall prey to viral marketing strategies. Nor do I want to give up any privacy or get tons of spams for a free email address. I am happy with [email protected] Signing in mail.com / hotmail accounts to keep them active is annoying enough.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While I'm less suspicious, a "good-name"-at-Gmail.com account basically translates into SPAM, depending on how *good* your alias is. LOL! Having said that, I agree that they are good for resale. :)

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
While I'm less suspicious ...
I mean I'm less suspicious towards Google ... even though they probably will supercede Microsoft, just like the latter once did to IBM.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
.....I agree that they are good for resale. :)

Can you please estimate the potential value of good gmail product/service type of names in the future? i.e. names like trading @ gmail.com, communication @ gmail.com, motels @ gmail.com, etc?

Do you think it a good investment to grab lots of good names now before the release to the general public?

P.S. If anybody has an invite, motels was available last time I checked.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can't brand a real business with a "[email protected]" email address.. Imagine trying to get regular customers to your business with such a name. Therefore they have very little value. Yeah, some gullible "end user" may try to cough up a few dollars for their very own "[email protected]", but in reality most won't.

Step back... and realize how the "Google" marketing machine is hyping this thing... I mean "invites" to domainers to get their own "gmail" address. :goofy:

Google is rewriting itself as we speak. It is quickly becoming the "defacto" brain for the internet..

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
You can't brand a real business with a "[email protected]" email address.. Imagine trying to get regular customers to your business with such a name. Therefore they have very little value. Yeah, some gullible "end user" may try to cough up a few dollars for their very own "[email protected]", but in reality most won't.

I am onstantly surprised by how many businesses I see still using @aol.com and @hotmail.com addresses. Just today I was talking with a client who just changed ISPs, and I offered him email services on his own domain, but he turned me down, electing instead to adopt the cox.net address he had been given. Since GMail will be free, and offer unmatched capacity, I would not be surprised at all if these accounts have some level of resalability. I wouldn't expect to get too much for them, though.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
FLe8 said:
I am onstantly surprised by how many businesses I see still using @aol.com and @hotmail.com addresses.

I personally don't do business with someone using a @aol.com or @hotmail.com address unless I know them, but that's just me... :-D

...Especially when it comes to forking out $$$. I can't do a WHOIS check on a "[email protected]" email address... However, if it's a [email protected] email, the first thing I do is a WHOIS, then check to see if the site is up and running.... Even then I am still leery.

note: If you are using a @aol.com email address on your "contact us" page then I won't even bother contacting you for fear of "getting" my email address lifted for SPAM purposes....

I realize why some business owners maintain a "@aol.com" address because they can access the account anywhere. What they don't realize is that MOST isp's offer webmail using their own domain email address. Maybe you could tell your client this???

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's my two cents:

Names: Most common first name and last names were gone in April. Notice the adjective "common". By the time the first wave of invites hit Ebay the last week of April/first week of May, most of the popular first name, last initial combinations were gone. Many of the not so common First name, last initials were grabbed up by the end of May.

Today, there's still many first name, last initials in the more proper common names, like WilliamC, WilliamB, etc. Must be most folks wanted Bill instead of William, but chose something else when they found out Bill was too short, and thought WilliamX to long or formal.

Account termination: The stated inactivity is listed in the last sentences in the Google Program policy. Make sure you log in every NINE months:

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/program_policies.html

I think they might take away your "extra" accounts based on the 11th bullet in the Prohibited Actions;

o Create multiple user accounts or create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretenses

I'm no lawyer, and not an expert on Acceptable Use policies, but I'd think you should assign a friend to each account and put their names on it, and maybe their emails for the backup emails. Course, for the people in this forum, I'm sure you could just create a bunch of alternate email addresses on your own hosts and not worry about it.

Now a question. If a "friend" of mine has some invites left over, what good names would you recomend that would bring in nice $ in a few months when this thing launches and Googles IPO has everyone drooling?

Cheers,
John

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
I personally don't do business with someone using a @aol.com or @hotmail.com address unless I know them, but that's just me... :-D

The first "reputable" one that comes to mind is [email protected]. I still cringe every time I get the Dogbert's Ruling Class newsletter. AOL must be passing money under the table for this. There are many others, too.

izopod said:
Maybe you could tell your client this???

I think cost is the #1 factor. Free email = 0 cost. Even if I give him free email service with his domain, the domain itself still carries a yearly renewal cost. It's not logical, but who says consumers act logically?

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like free email as a personal thing, but some free email is better and more professional than others...

for instance, canada.com email works well for business because [email protected] sounds much better than [email protected] (note, that isnt my real email)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
I like free email as a personal thing, but some free email is better and more professional than others...

for instance, canada.com email works well for business because [email protected] sounds much better than [email protected] (note, that isnt my real email)

Another good point. The only problem is that if spammers get a hold of the "@canda.com" address and whore it, then you could find yourself on the short-end of a spam filter. A relative of mine called me the other day to report that an email he sent was returned "undeliverable". I called my ISP to find out what the problem was, and come to find out "@juno.com" email addresses are now being blocked by my ISP due to the large amount of spam that comes from these addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom