Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

DN vs. DOMAIN - .COM

DN- vs. DOMAIN- .COM names

• I think DOMAIN is better in ALL cases

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • I think DN is better in ALL cases

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think DOMAIN is usually better

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I think DN is usually better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think they're about equal

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have to ask this. I'm working on a project that may have wide ranging potential, and I'm interested in hearing some advice on naming.

If presented with the need to BRAND, is a DN- name comparable to a DOMAIN- name in terms of branding power? For instance, DNForum.com is a DN- name. A comparable name would be DomainForum.com... but as you can see, DNForum.com is shorter, though DomainForum.com is more easily recognizeable to the casual passerby. "DN" in this industry has become a nice shorthand, but at the same time, I'm unclear as to how powerful it is when branding a product or service for the widest audience recognition.

There are two names I am considering for my project, and I'm wondering if I can get the DN- name fairly easily, if I should bother continuing to persue the Domain- version.

Also, to be clear, assume that anything hyphenated is NOT part of this conversation. Also, I'm the difference between a "domain" and a "domain name" can be considered, but I'm assuming "domain" to be understood as a viable nickname for "domain name" (ex. MyDomain.com, State of the Domain, Domain.com, etc.)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
~ Nexus

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey, how about NAME (as in nameslave.com)? LOL! :D

Okay, my take is that it's not good to stir fry acronyms (like DN) with full words (like Forum). So DNForum.com is by this standard NOT a good domain name. (Dan, the previous owner, made this name up; but the true value of DNForum.com lies not in the name itself but its member base and traffic, right?) Moreover, I do NOT think that DN has become a recognizable shorthand in the "industry", at least not yet.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain is more recognizable, but DN is shorter. I went the DN route because anything I found with "domain" did not sound good at all. The best I was able to do is thinkdomains.com. I settled on DNQuest because of branding.

No matter which way you go, if you can build up a site and promote properly, either will work.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like name or names for domain related.

For DN and Domain, I vote for Domain.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Plain old "Name" would be the best bet, as it's also potentially useful for things other than domains as well. "Domain" would come after that, and "DN" would be absolute last. Abbreviating the full term so that it misses out on all potential keywords makes no sense at all.

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends on your target audience. Many non-insiders would not know DN is short for Domain Name. Many insiders do not even know "domain name" is what the web address they want is called.

I like DNForum.com as opposed to DomainNameForum.com for its intended use. I would like DNF.com even better. But any time you use an abbreviation for your brand it would be nice to also own the long version and redirect to the main site.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave
Hey, how about NAME (as in nameslave.com)? LOL! :D

Okay, my take is that it's not good to stir fry acronyms (like DN) with full words (like Forum). So DNForum.com is by this standard NOT a good domain name. (Dan, the previous owner, made this name up; but the true value of DNForum.com lies not in the name itself but its member base and traffic, right?) Moreover, I do NOT think that DN has become a recognizable shorthand in the "industry", at least not yet.

You are right on this, I did not even know DN stands for domain name before I came to dnforum.com:D

Christopher Marks

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had never seen DN used for Domain Name until dnforum.com either.

Like mentioned earlier, it would all depend on the target audience. Anyone here would understand, but the average joe would have no idea it was for domain name.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The big brother who once oversaw dot-ca registration (very much like NetSol in the old days) chose webnames.ca as their domain and company name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom