Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Dnf suggestions for sub forum re-org

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have suggestions on how to make the forum easier to browse by being better organized, post away.

-=DCG=-

Upvote 0

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Consolidate the ccTLD forums - many don't see a lot of traffic.

Maybe even open up some of the foreign language forums like the French forum (one for domain discussion, development, domain sales, etc..).

Advertising and related offers - make the rules clearly state that it is for domain (and related - hosting, development etc..) products and services. Maybe have a subforum for "other" - people have been posting quite a few off-subject blogs and personal sites in there.

Get rid of the IDN sales area - either make it one forum or put them under the ccTLD (señor.es in the .es section).

Doc

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
somehow code in the price range option in the title itself in Offers Wanted
Despite there being a rule for specifying price range in title , some members still put in the thread(usually unknowingly) . and one has to open each thread individually
OR
Enable permissions so that members may alter thread title on their own.

Best would be compulsorily coded "price range in title" option

Also, if a sale is completed ,could we request for our own threads to be deleted by the mods.. ?

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
An off-shoot of the above suggestions is to merge the various ccTLD boards, but then have the drop-down box where people can choose the relevant ccTLD they are selling. This will actually make things easier for ccTLD buyers/sellers since instead of having to check a myriad of boards, they simply have one - and the convenience is still there due to the drop-down boxes.

Also, the "Content Development" category needs some cleaning up IMO. The "Make Money from Content Websites" parent board (which is already pretty specific) actually has a child board in it with no posts or threads! Really the only active bit of the "Make Money from Content Websites" is the AdSense section, and that's not too active either.

It's things like this which is the problem: the "Content Development" category could be done in 5 boards; but at the moment it has a massive 38 boards. Quite simply, people won't want to make a new topic (or a post) in a board which only has a couple of posts/topics in it. It'd be better to have 5 pretty active boards then 38 tumble-weed-esque boards.

To sum-up my personal opinions (feel free to disagree) - even on a popular board like this, having hundreds of child-boards is just a waste and will actually decrease activity.

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Get rid of the IDN sales area - either make it one forum or put them under the ccTLD (señor.es in the .es section).

When are you going to realise that IDNs are not specifically ccTLDs?
That IDNs can be registered in .com / .net / .org etc?
Or that Москва.com sold in August last year for $216,000? (Hardly a ccTLD .. Right?)

Ah well, nevermind, hardly matters at this point, that opportunity has long passed for the majority.

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When are you going to realise that IDNs are not specifically ccTLDs?
That IDNs can be registered in .com / .net / .org etc?
Or that Москва.com sold in August last year for $216,000? (Hardly a ccTLD .. Right?)

Ah well, nevermind, hardly matters at this point, that opportunity has long passed for the majority.

True - I'm thinking the previously mentioned pull-down menu may be a good idea for the IDN area, too.

C

Chuck

The drop down menu is worth looking into, I'll see what I can find.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The forum-I'm-not-allowed-to-mention just utilized tabs which I think is handy.

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The forum-I'm-not-allowed-to-mention just utilized tabs which I think is handy.
To be honest I'm not a major fan of that - I prefer to be able to see all the main boards on the forum homepage. In some ways now (since I'm quite.. quick when browsing online) I'll either visit to check the discussion bit or the offers bit, oddly enough. I prefer from a usability stand-point to not have tabs in the way that the-forum-I'm-now-allowed-to-mention-either does ;)

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i prefer this layout rather than tabs, keeps it simple... i would agree with taking out some of the child boards though.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i'd like to throw this in....

remember that some sub-forums were created becasue of past requests for them.

such sales and discussion forums like .tel .asia .in .mobi .me etc and even now many are posting .cc and other newer cctld's for sale.

if all these sub-foums are merged into the "Offers Wanted or Fixed Priced" section, then don't expect for your threads to stay on top of the que or on the first page for longer than a few minutes.

the volume will be too much.

if you merge all the cctld sales section into one sub-forum section, it may help but those who specialize in or are searching for, certain cctld's may find their threads lost in the mix of other cctld threads.

i'm not against consolidation or merging, or expanding an area if necessary, just want to note how some changes could create other issues.

drop-down and fill-in boxes are better if they can be installed, by serving as the default for posting.

this could truly reduce the amount of thread closures reported posts.

as for the layout, i wouldn't want to see this forum look like another.

imo...

Last edited:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, we will be working on this re-org this week and we will try and incorporate alot of the suggestions received here.

I agree some sub forums need to be condensed.

-=DCG=-

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, we will be working on this re-org this week and we will try and incorporate alot of the suggestions received here.

I agree some sub forums need to be condensed.

-=DCG=-
Good luck :) Re-organising sub-boards and all has always been a pet-peeve of mine! :cool:

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that the .uk ccTLD is 10% as big as .com etc. I'd suggest, Adam, that you expand that out considerably.

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about an interface that brought up all related threads and displays the categories in a visually appealing way

for an example: visualthesaurus.com

I believe other sites are using this type of interface, anyone know of another one with asimilar visual interface?

where to get script?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom