Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Dnforum and Censorship and Professionalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, we have had a few issues crop up in the last week or so and I would like to take this time to clear things up.

As far as Censorship goes, Dnforum.com will no longer Censor any information form a post as long as it is done with factual data and in a professional manner.

Posts that are made just to stir up trouble will be deleted and warning point will be issued to the user. These are posts like, user123 is a crook.

A post that is allowed is, Beware of user123 , I paid for this domain through paypal on Feb 5 / 05 and I got ripped off.

If you want to post some controversial discussion topics, that is fine.

Please always rememeber that we are not here to decide whose opinion is right or wrong, we are here to provide a medium for all discussions relating to domains, websites and other related issues.

If you feel you have a post that has been wrongfully edited or removed, please feel free to email me directly at [email protected]

Please also feel free to post questions about this topic here.

Best wishes!

-=DCG=-

Domain Days 2024

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
(If you want to post some controversial discussion topics, that is fine)

I think a seperate category for politics and religion posts that dont appear in todays posts link, might be of interest.Since this is an international forum there is potential that some extreme viewpoints would cause heated discussions,those who like to debate the politics and current events of the day might find it appealing
Just a thought

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have always been ok with this but many here believe it would stir up too much contraversy and we should stick to domains and websites.

-=DCG=-

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
An alternative website would be more appropriate for a religion/politics forum so that all using the forum know what to expect, those that could be offended by it are not forced to be involved in it and so Moderators are not forced to become embroiled in issues that are not involved with why they are here.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To be honest, who would expect serious political or religious debates on a domain name forum?

But you know people LOVE to talk BS among friends or even strangers in the pub, from local politics to world affairs, and once in a while those "where was god when we needed him most" kind of things.

It doesn't hurt. What really hurts is that there are stupid people who can't take differences as they are. Some even take it "personal" when it comes to "their" countries or "their" gods. In the real world, we don't drink or make friends with them but walk away. The same should apply to our Lounge or Cafe here.

There is an old Chinese practice that people choose to meet their future sons or daughters -in-law in a mahjong (gambling) game, because that is the time when most would show their true self. I'd say allowing political and religious debates in the Platinum Lounge and Gold Cafe is good in that we can learn more about who we are really dealing with.

Again, it's not the differences, but how you handle the differences that matter. For example, some members might know that I actually have a very different stand from Adam (DotComGod) regarding the war in Iraq, but we never make it a big deal.

As a moderator, I personally do not expect any unproportional workload increase. Of course, if there are more threads and traffic because of this, extra workload will be proportional and well worth it. And we don't even need to exclude these so called sensitive posts from getnew or getdaily searches (like some other silly places).

Just my two cents, and they are NOT the official position of DNForum. ;)

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I'm a huge fan of community building, and conversations other than the bare bones of the forum focus are good for that... It's good for business, and as nameslave so aptly puts it, these kinds of conversations are a great way to measure the people you may want to do busines with.

We draw a larger audience to our smaller world by having these kinds of "conversational" areas...

Vivvy

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok we could setup an area and call it 'Life Outside Domains' or 'Life without a mouse in hand' or 'The Real World'

Let me know what you want to do guys and gals!

-=DCG=-

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i think as long as these posts are segragated from todays posts category, if that can be done would be OK, then those who just want domain talk wouldnt get upset, I too beleive talking about issues does open up a can of worms but it also is dialogue that brings people back

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Ok we could setup an area and call it 'Life Outside Domains' or 'Life without a mouse in hand' or 'The Real World'

Let me know what you want to do guys and gals!

-=DCG=-

The 'The Real World' is good but 'Life without a mouse in hand' is better.
After all life is what it is and nobody can escape from the reality no matter how hard he/she tries!

ParkQuick.com

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. Domains in that section should not show up when you click on Today's Posts.

fatter said:
i think as long as these posts are segragated from todays posts category, if that can be done would be OK, then those who just want domain talk wouldnt get upset, I too beleive talking about issues does open up a can of worms but it also is dialogue that brings people back

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i joined this forum to hear about and discuss domains. there are plenty of forums (thousands) that cover all aspects of politics and religion, the two most controversial topics in the world. i have not, nor would i base a decision to buy or sell a domain based upon a person's political or religious viewpoint. let's stick to the intent and purpose of the forum--domains -there is certainly more than enough to talk about.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mark said:
i have not, nor would i base a decision to buy or sell a domain based upon a person's political or religious viewpoint.
No, no. I would not either: it's business after all. But like I said:

it's not the differences, but how you handle the differences that matter.

fryman04

Master of the cave
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mark said:
i joined this forum to hear about and discuss domains.

Exactly. Want to take about politics? Go hang around some newsgroup.

Let's keep this related to domains.

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems when people complain about this forum one of the things they complain about is not feeling at home here or feeling like they belong. Community building brings people here who wouldn't otherwise come and keeps people here who wouldn't otherwise stay. A good forum is equal to more than the sum of its parts...

One of the wisest things I've ever seen posted here is a quote from DCG himself, "Remember, If a person with knowledge sells a domain there must be some reason to dump it." You can become so narrow in your focus here that the very audience you want to attract does not come and all that's left is a bunch of guys with names to sell... no one to buy and no who cares about your egos.

Just a humble opinion...
Vivvy

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Answer seems simple to me - opt-in/opt-out parts of the forum.
It should be easy to make certain parts of the board invisible to those who want to opt-out - those who want to discuss say politics for example could opt-in to that part of the forum and it would become available to them - I would especially like to see this option for adult, regardless of any decision about other matters.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Ok, we have had a few issues crop up in the last week or so and I would like to take this time to clear things up.

As far as Censorship goes, Dnforum.com will no longer Censor any information form a post as long as it is done with factual data and in a professional manner

-=DCG=-

Hmmm.

What happened to this thread here:

AirKatrina.com -- man charged in alleged web scam
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=114930

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Censorship is a slippery slope. What it's saying is "we're not smart enough to judge things based on the facts". It underestimates the intelligence of this forum.

There are already other boards where, like lemmings they're led over the cliff because of too many "Yes men", and unwillingness to have a vigorous debate to uncover the truth. Censorship here would be a step in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom