Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

DNForum.com Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What! %+|

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
* the rules should have bullet points so theyre eaiser to read

i would also like :-
* a no bumping posts rule
* private messages not being printed in the general forum unless absolutely neccessary - ie. with regards to domain sales and not returning messages

i understand the feelings of not having links to rival forumsbut i have to agere with RJ - im a member of domainstate and namepros etc as well but it does not make me post here any less
although maybe im biased because ive got a forum in my sig ;)

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
some proposals floating around... modifications? comments? preferences?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal A:

"DNForum seeks to provide excellent services to encourage productive and enjoyable membership here. Nonetheless, members may post information about other forums openly under 'Related Offers.' It is in poor taste to specifically promote another forum in other sections or through the DNF personal messaging or e-mail system."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal B:

"DNForum seeks to provide excellent services for membership here. Casual mention of other domain-related forums is fine, but it is in poor taste to promote other domain-related forums through DNF personal messaging, e-mail system, links, or posted solicitations."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal C:

"DNForum seeks to provide excellent services for membership here. Casual mention of other domain-related forums is fine as long as the actual name and url of the forum is not listed. Likewise, the actual name and url of another domain-related forum should not be listed by way of personal messaging, e-mail system, links, or posted solicitations." (We do not monitor your PM, but if a recipient forwards your message in a complaint we will act accordingly).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal D:

"Members reported for possible spamming or being nasty will participate in an immunity challenge involving climbing over logs, putting together website puzzles, and eating yucky bugs. After this, a tribal council will convene around a glowing 18" monitor and, while ominous music plays in the background, a vote will be taken to find out whose avatar will be snuffed out."

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. Member's identities must be kept private. No dispute whould result in publishing private information unless authorized by the individual in question.
2. No dispute shall be brought onto the public forum sections prior to it being handled by the appointed management representatives. if you have a problem with a transaction or a member, bring it up with the member through PM and if that does not resolve the situation, bring it up with the mods or forum council reps. Only if the management fails to resolve the dispute you are allowed to post the problem to general popultaion. There should be a section called 'Disputes'
3. No flooding of the forums. If you spam the public sections of the forum or post profanity, vulgarity and otherwise offensive material which violates the forum rules, you will not only be banned but also held responsible for all expences led to by actions taken to resolve the situation on behalf of the forum representatives.
4. Anything and everything you post in the public (not hidden or limited membership) sections of dnforum will become the property of the forum. Anything and everything you say may be used by the forum administration to promote the forum.
5. No picking your nose during live auctions
6. No appraisal comments on names posted for sale shall be allowed unless comments are requested by the seller. All appraisals should be performed in the appropriate forum section.
7. No bumping is allowed. Any post which does not contain relevant additional information on a previous post will be considered a bump.
9. All DNF sales/ transaction are non-refundable. Sell at you own risk. If you are found to be in violation of forum rules and are banned, your DNF will not be refunded in any way of form. All names sold for DNF will remain property of the buyer. Simple advice: there are not that many rules and its not that hard to play by them.
10. um... hmm.... This space is reserved for that special rule that will apply when you think you can get away with bending the other 9 rules.

doubledee999

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomeBase
some proposals floating around... modifications? comments? preferences?

Proposal A:

"DNForum seeks to provide excellent services to encourage productive and enjoyable membership here. Nonetheless, members may post information about other forums openly under 'Related Offers.' It is in poor taste to specifically promote another forum in other sections or through the DNF personal messaging or e-mail system."

Proposal B:

"DNForum seeks to provide excellent services for membership here. Casual mention of other domain-related forums is fine, but it is in poor taste to promote other domain-related forums through DNF personal messaging, e-mail system, links, or posted solicitations."

Proposal C:

"DNForum seeks to provide excellent services for membership here. Casual mention of other domain-related forums is fine as long as the actual name and url of the forum is not listed. Likewise, the actual name and url of another domain-related forum should not be listed by way of personal messaging, e-mail system, links, or posted solicitations." (We do not monitor your PM, but if a recipient forwards your message in a complaint we will act accordingly).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal D:

"Members reported for possible spamming or being nasty will participate in an immunity challenge involving climbing over logs, putting together website puzzles, and eating yucky bugs. After this, a tribal council will convene around a glowing 18" monitor and, while ominous music plays in the background, a vote will be taken to find out whose avatar will be snuffed out."

I like Proposal D

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Point8T

7. No bumping is allowed.

I've heard this a lot in the past. There is a fix, if Greg decides this is a good rule.

You can set vbulletin to only post New posts to the top (like it is now), but replies will not bring the post to the top.

In other words, the forum will list the posts in the exact order they were posted, in decending order, and it will stay that way no mater who replies, etc.

A lot of support forums keep this setting because of the high number of bump attempts, and to set the order of requests.

It may be a good setting for the advertising forums, but not the other forums.

I'm not suggesting it, I'm just throwing it out there.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-

I agree with this rule as it was written here. It would be wrong to disallow advertising of 'competeing' products in the 'Related Offers'.

We could say dnjournal.com is a 'competing' site because it offers a free alternative to DNForum for learning about domain names.

Or that Domain Seller Pro competes with DNForum because it gives sellers an alternative for selling their domain names.

If there's another forum opening, I would like to know. Is it wrong to be a member of several domain forums at the same time?

I tend to agree with 'RJ' on the above. It seems like DNF is getting
too insecure with itself.

Hypothesis:
Since DNF is more than a forum, and has so much to offer.
Then why be afraid of competition.

There have been a lot of efforts to make this a closed society, by way of membership and content.

IMO Gregr should not be asking members about forming rules, it leads to further controversy.I understand his wanting to express inclusiveness,but there is another way to do this.

It's his party to do as he pleases, and I'm still listening to the music, but the DJ ain't playing a lot of hits lately.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by biggedon

IMO Gregr should not be asking members about forming rules, it leads to further controversy.I understand his wanting to express inclusiveness,but there is another way to do this.

It's his party to do as he pleases, and I'm still listening to the music, but the DJ ain't playing a lot of hits lately.

Biggedon:

First you were unhappy because Greg made membership decisions without your input, so you complained. He then grants a 30 grace period, to every member, at your request.

Now, you are unhappy becuase he IS asking for your input.

You make no sense. I think you just like to complain.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains

Biggedon:

First you were unhappy because Greg made membership decisions without your input, so you complained. He then grants a 30 grace period, to every member, at your request.

Now, you are unhappy becuase he IS asking for your input.

You make no sense. I think you just like to complain.

1.True, I was and am still unhappy about paying for a membership, but I wasn't the ONLY one who was dissappointed.

2.True, i did request a 30 day grace period and true he granted that,however that should have been a given. Since it was already stated that we would have "Several months" before action would be taken.

3.False, I am not unhappy that he is asking for imput about the rules,I just simply stated that "It would lead to further controversy".

Perhaps if you read exactly what was stated,without reading into it what you perceive, then you would get the message.

It seems quite contradictory, to ban people for rule breaking or because of a vote in a poll, then turn around a solicit members for rule suggestions.

The rules should be clearly defined and a member should be given certain quantity of violations before being banned. It should not be up to the concensus of the population to decide on banishment,it amounts to no more than a "witch hunt".

It's the mentality of a nation, that labels a person as a terrorists, then locks him up without due process.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Based on recent developments and comments, I have added another alternative... how about a couple more days to solicit comments and suggestions and then we have a poll?

Proposal A:

Proposal B:

Proposal C:

Proposal D:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal E:

no more rules..that should be the only rule...let common sense be the rule

"No explicit rules concerning promoting other forums using DNF PM, e-mail, or posts."

--------------------- new as of 3/13/2003 -------------------------

Proposal F:

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24314&perpage=20&pagenumber=5

"DNForum seeks to provide excellent services for membership here. Use of the forum private messaging or e-mail system to promote other forums in a secretive manner is inappropriate, but open posting of links to other forums is allowed."

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
rather than write a full page paragraph about advertising domainstate (this is what most people are alluding to after all)..

how about

you MAY NOT actively promote sites that are in direct competition with dnforum.com. this involves posting, direct mailings or private messages using the forums numerous contact systems.

to me this say its ok to mention it but you cant go and post ads abouts it everywhere. its not unheard of that people will provide a link to a post on a another forum to prove a point or to provide information with a no linking rule this would effective stop this altogether. which is a bad thing.

Ciq

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
DNForum.com does rule but this thread is about the rules. :)

I inherited the DNF rules when I bought this site. They have become dated. The auctions for one introduced a need for additional rules. I would like to get some feedback on what the DNF rules should be.

You can post a whole set of suggested rules, if you feel energetic or you can post one rule that you feel is necessary or a few rule suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

not to give my site a plug but if you go to Debate.us and sign up there is a pretty good set of rules once you read the rules you can x out and not sign up feel free to copy them,,,,,,,,,,

debate.us Where Freedom of Speech Rules!!!

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ciqala
rather than write a full page paragraph about advertising **********
how about

you MAY NOT actively promote sites that are in direct competition with dnforum.com. this involves posting, direct mailings or private messages using the forums numerous contact systems.

to me this say its ok to mention it but you cant go and post ads abouts it everywhere. its not unheard of that people will provide a link to a post on a another forum to prove a point or to provide information with a no linking rule this would effective stop this altogether. which is a bad thing.

Ciq

Hi Ciq... is this like Proposal B or C?

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acceptable Use Policy

The Domain Name Forum online community enables interaction and knowledge sharing on domain names and related issues.
This is a private forum. You are not guaranteed admission and your membership is subject to revocation. Here are some key guidelines to follow when posting content:

Do not post content that is obscene or otherwise objectionable.

Stay focused on the topic under discussion.

The forum is not a place for advertising your domains or services everywhere. Please keep your domains for sale in the appropriate forum.

Please note, messages posted to DNForum are not pre-screened.

Don't attack each other; personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. We also take politeness very seriously. You are welcome to challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectively and thoughtfully.

We will not allow posts containing obscene or vulgar language, these posts will be removed, and this could result in the loss of your community membership.

Do not ask for an appraisal on a domain name that you don't own. This is a waste of valuable talent.

Create threads in the proper forum. Threads created in the wrong forum are subject to deletion because it's easier to delete than it is to move. Should you continue to create more work for the moderators, your membership will be revoked.

Members will not be allowed to promote their own website/business outside of the Advertising forums, members will be warned and could also lose their forum membership if "spamming" on the forums where it is not allowed. Members are only allowed to create one thread/day in the Advertising forums. Each forum will be monitored for content. Any content that violates DNForum's policies of acceptable use may be removed.

Your forum signature may not exceed 4 lines in length, and may contain no more than one link. The use of your forum signature to attack another member is not allowed. HTML and the IMG vB code have been disabled.

We reserve the right to remove your membership should you violate these guidelines.

Thank you for using the DNForum Community; online communities are a great place to source information, share information, and seek peer advice.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think we're allowed 2 links now, actually.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
I think there should be less rules and more posts :D

and more beer. definitely more beer.:dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom