Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

DNFORUM Down Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whew! I finally got thru.

All day there was a... "Site has exceeded it's bandwidth limitations"... message when trying to get here. I hope everything is ok.

Maybe we should all pitch in a few bucks to help DNFORUM get a better (or bigger) hosting plan!!!!

What do you say boys? How do we set up an account for DNFORUM?

Upvote 0

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This happened a few weeks ago. It also generated some donations at that time and prompted Dan to switch hosting companies then. I'm starting to think he is pulling the plug on purpose to get more money out of us :D !

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
LOL duke, no. Sorry for the downtime, what happened was me and my current host didn't have good communication and the account gave the error (if you remember a few weeks back this happened also, the bandwidth error), because we never really set bandwidth limit usage on the account, and since there was a flood of visitors coming in in the fast couple of days. While this hapened I was away at practice and din't get home until about an hour ago and sorting things out with my current host.

Also I'm going to be getting a dedicated server really soon, I'll try to get it tomorrow (I'm thinking about a custom server from myvirtual.net). I have just enough cash to fund it for this month. I really don't have experience managing a dedicated server etc, but I'm sure it would make the site run a hell of a lot faster with many people online at once, alsi I heard with control panel software in there's really nothign you have to do). I think I already found a place who could get me a (I think) fairly nice dedicated server, so I will be deeply looking into that tomorrow when I get back, I got to go now (get up early and have to get somewhere).

If you would like to donate and help I really would appreciate it, the address is [email protected] in PayPal.

Also while this is the suggestion forum, I'll be out the entire next week (starting in 4 days) to a football camp.

Dan

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Also I'm going to be getting a dedicated server really soon, I'll try to get it tomorrow (I'm thinking about a custom server from myvirtual.net). I have just enough cash to fund it for this month. I really don't have experience managing a dedicated server etc, but I'm sure it would make the site run a hell of a lot faster with many people online at once, alsi I heard with control panel software in there's really nothign you have to do). Dan

Hi Dan, don't worry, I have a Cobalt Dedicated Server which is self-managed but co-located. I am no where near a programmer or geek but I easily maintain and run my server, which now has more than 300 sites online. I recommend the Cobalt RAQ Servers very strongly, simple and easy control panel and amazing reliability, more than 99.9% uptime.

Once you get familiar with the Control Panel and WS-FTP'ing of files, and FTP all your htm and graphic files, it basically then runs by itself with no work at all in the future (unless you want to make some changes).

For example, I have some small 1-page static sites running continuously for more than 2-yrs on my server which I have never touched since they first went online.

Don't worry about speed, this site is fast now and I don't think your own server would speed it up much at all.

Also, not sure if you really need a dedicated server :confused: They are normally for multiple websites, not 1 or 2 but dozens or hundreds of sites. It's very rare someone with only 1 website (even a large one) would need or have a dedicated server. All you likely need is an improved hosting account with more bandwidth.

Also, give them your credit card number and instructions to charge you for extra bandwidth when needed. It is extremely rare and unusual for a hosting firm to block access due to bandwidths.

If one exceeds it all they do is issue a notice and actually shutting the site down is unheard of or at least very rare, I have never seen it done by anyone except to you in 20-yrs of using a computer. Most all webmasters would quickly complain to the firm who did this and switch hosting firms also :mad: It's very odd they did this to dnforum for most of the day today, and also at an earlier date.

www.SuggestionTool.com

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Right, Dan, there are other options before buying your own server.

:cool:

By the way I will be sending in a portion of my Friday night tips with paypal to help the cause. I would send today but momma needs some food and water.

Ah, the pains of success...

I bet you missed it while it was down though, and thats a sign that Dan's running a good ship here :)

M

mole

Originally posted by HippieChick
By the way I will be sending in a portion of my Friday night tips with paypal to help the cause. I would send today but momma needs some food and water.

Now, ain't that sweet of her :)

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Hmm, that might be a good idea. Maybe I don't need a dedicated server. But yes, I need to switch over to a more reliable host now. I don't see why my curren thost could just let my bandwidth expire without notifying me. I'm now looking to get a dedicated server, something I might want to consider is I've heard of these things called virtual dedicated servers. I'm not really sure how they work, but I think it's between shared hostgin and a dedicated server. Thanks for the input realnames, dod, etc.

Dan

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
Wish I got tips :)

You've got to pick the right clubs to perform at gregr :D

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tim,

That was an inappropriate post ..

You did yourself no favors by posting confidential informatition, about your dealings with Dan.

:(

Yeah but he took it down after I jumped down his throat so atleast he knows better now.

I would hate to send my DNForumBoys to rough him up. ;)

abrams1117

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Wish I got tips
---------------------------------------

You probably wouldn't want a job where you get tips.(to improve proper service?)

Most of those jobs are TOUGH.

And if tips are a big part of your survival, you could have a couple bad weeks in a row and really be in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom