Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

DNForum new owner what up

Status
Not open for further replies.

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I signed up for platinum, avatars were free were they not? Now ya gotta pay with dnf$ ? ANd, when I registered platinum, it was said that we would be able to request a user name change, now that costs too? Just exactly what is it ya get for $50? Never again. I understand there is going to be a new forum soon for domaineers. I cant wait. I truly feel like I been had. It has gotten aweful quiet around here since The G man boogied. :mad:

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nexcorp, that stuff has always cost $dnf. Maybe I'm missing something? Was there verbage on the reg. or upgrade screen with specifics?

"Freebies" were definitely given to platinum members. We were told by NHLRat that avatar changes would be free, but it was never a promise that was fullfilled "automatically". Requests were always honored as far as I know, but you had to send a PM. Greg had a special thread for username changes in the platinum forum. I've lobbied for "free avatar" changes earlier on with Greg, but never got anywhere until the new ownership said they'd offer free changes. They never said it'd be automated though.

I'm all for complaining, but its got to be "fair" complaining for it to sit right. Basically, if you're upset about something else, you should complain about that in a straight forward a way as possible. Right now, what you're commenting on seems "off-center" from understandable.

The "there's a new forum starting" comment has gotten old now though. People should just go to DomainState, NamePros, DiscussNames.com, or other existing places if they don't like Dnforum. The "new forum" dreams generally peeter out quickly when the amount of necessary dedication becomes clear.

Who was the "G" man?

~ Nexus

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well. I thought from what I read, that a $50 membership would mean a free namechange. Tha's the impression I got when I read about platinum membership. If avatars always cost money I didn't know because I tried a while back to even find how to do it and I couldn't find it. But hey, for $50 in real money one would think a name change or an avatar wouldnt be to hard to come by. $50 is steep for a lot of people that do what we do to begin with. Most have probably lost money. I realize somebody gotta pay for hosting an bandwidth, so free maybe not. If it was cheaper, the ranks might swell. It's just my opinion. I do think there is going to be a new forum , soon : )

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nexcorp
Well. I thought from what I read, that a $50 membership would mean a free namechange. Tha's the impression I got when I read about platinum membership. If avatars always cost money I didn't know because I tried a while back to even find how to do it and I couldn't find it.
It was never esp. clear. With the new design, the "Rewards Store" is more obvious. This is where "change avatar" has always been. If you send a PM to NHLRat though, as a platinum member, I think changes will be honored. Just have a url in the message with the avatar. A lot of what you said is good, but this thread seems more like it should be a suggestion about what could be improved, and not a complaint. I'm sensitive to folks "beating up" on the folks running the joint, because its easy to do, without taking a moment to take it slow and courteous. I think there's a lot on the grill though...

Originally posted by nexcorp
It's just my opinion. I do think there is going to be a new forum , soon : )
That's cool. I think you're right. But, the question is, will it really make an impact? People start new forums everyday. When DNF started charging for membership, I think at least 3 new forums began. DomainState was started last year by the 3 prior mods at DNF, and their degree of integrity and general community respect has earned the website a strong following (and even then, gaining critical mass is always tough...) The great perspective they have is that even if the 3 mods were the only ones there, there would be enough to have a good conversation about domains. From running a forum myself, I can tell that you that many folks reguarly begin forums with no idea of how to build and nurture a community. Often times it is a factor of serendipity. That's probably why I have an allergic reaction to any notion that even a forum started by a large well known company will be met with success. I wish it luck though.

Who knows, I might start my own forum tomorrow.

Best,
~ Nexus

cjmacd

iwebwork.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's a few thoughts.

the 50$ that the majority of us here at dnforum paid hasn't paid for flashy pictures or funny user names.

it paid for being a part of a community of PROFESSIONALS,
others who are here to further their knowledge and businesses and interact with other professionals.

avatars / usernames changes are rewards for contributing to a forum site. (that's how it was always done, long before dnforum)

you would notice you get a dnf $ for every post.

its kind of a sub ranking system, the people with "glow" "avatars" "special names" are known as the major contributors to a forum:)

I know when the new admin came in, and even when Greg was here as dictator :D, platinum folk got those perks as a "Limited time" offer , until it was integrated into the "rewards" store

Keyword here: "rewards" - for contribution to the site :)

also if you haven't gotten your $49.99 worth by now, maybe this isn't for you, either way I wish everyone the best of luck in all that they do , domains or otherwise :)

-Chris MacDonald

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I read once that avatars could be changed under control panel>user options

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep. Thanks for your input guys. Maybe I did post it in the wrong place. I know it takes a lot of work so. Maybe if I get enough people to respond to my, nasty post I will have enough moeny to change my name and glow radioactive. Or, Is it illegal to beg for DNF$ ? : ) It will take me another year to get that kind of dough. Hmmm. How about a virtual hold up of that DNF version of billgates? Is there a charity section? Maybe I could get rid of a name or two for some DNF$ Yea, Prohost.com for 2000 Dnf$ hehe. NOT

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, somebody msut have fels sorry for me : ) You guys are great. Oh, thanks for putting up with me. I've been know to be a little hard headed and very opinionated. To the owners and the mods, keep it up.

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
COol. What happened to Coolhost and Namecaster?

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For what. I didn't see anything bad from them. They gettheir dough back?

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure there is an explanation, you just have to look for it.

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well then Im grandfathered on that. Avatar is too cool? C'mon. I just put that up there temporarily until I get a real Logo and enough dnf$ to change my name and get a radioactive glow. If I get banned, it will be because I want to . I seem to know how to push people buttons unwittingly sometimes. : )

Domainaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Still prefer to call them Dan bux - wifey still has not had the time to design my avatar so I really do not mind how much they cost here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom