Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

DNforum should show IP on each post

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

prasit

I notice that there are 2 users name who always post messages to support each other opinion and mislead other users that their statements are valid and trustworthy. there may be more people doing the same thing, and it wasn't good for other users.

DNforum should show last 3 set of the IP for each post e.g. xx.228.22.45, so other users know that these users are actually the same person. And they wouldn't be any privacy issue because you don't reveal the whold IP address.

Gregr, hope you take this suggestion seriously. I just thought that it's unfair for other users to be taken advantage by this misbehaviour.

thank you.

Upvote 0

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree. It's probably the guy who suggested extortion and had his post deleted.

P

prasit

winfreecash,

I'm sorry if i made you angry by my misunderstanding.. hope you are cool with it now.

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Prasit,

I don't carry anything long...lifes to short. It's cool.

P

prasit

i think so :p

but i still think this forum should show IP, so there won't be any trouble or misunderstanding again.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by winfreecash

I don't carry anything long...lifes to short. It's cool.

Can you feel the love? :)

About the IP's--I will talk to Greg--but keep in mind that we are aware of what's going on--and who is doing what. We (Greg & the mods) were actually discussing this issue yesterday. There is nothing currently in place to restrict members from having multiple user ID's--however if enough people start to abuse the system--Greg will have to consider it.

Greg doesn't want to be too heavy handed. He wants people to feel free to go about their business as they wish--as long as they are not taking advantage of the system. There will always be a few people that push the limits--and they will get a chance to correct their ways (after friendly reminders) before any action is taken. If they continue to be a problem--rest assured--they will be dealt with accordingly.

The particular person you are talking about has already been warned. There is no need to mention names though. We will see how it goes.

Let me also remind everybody--that if you see something you feel is offensive--or just too much--click that link "report this post to a moderator" on the problem post--and we will come sliding down the poles of the modcave and take care of it. Kinda like Batman. :)

If they continue to be a problem after a couple warnings--we shall grind them up into little pieces--mix them with some FancyFeast--and feed them to my cat. :D

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually Namepopper he was referring to his post under thiis thread http://dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6136 .
He and I have resovled the situation and I believe the entire thread has been resolved. He though stk and I were the same person. I wish it was true!!!

Sooner or later the folks with double nicks trip themselves up and look like the morons they are.

The problem with showing IPs is that it could help a hacker AND many ISP's have zillions of IPs and it is not inconcievable that 2 people here could show the same IP

A forum such as this with moderators does fine as it is.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know you two are cool with each other. I was sincere when I said "feel the love" after your post quote.
I thought you were very nice in accepting prasit's apology, and I think prasit was very cool to apologize.

It just so happens that we have a user in that same thread using multiple ID's--and I thought you might be referring to him. I think he has decided to behave himself--and everything is looking up. Someone sent me a pm suggesting that I post who it is--but there is no need for that. I believe everyone deserves a second chance--and I would not want to embarrass somebody just because of a few poorly chosen comments.

All is good. :)

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Posting IP's will only give you a false sense of security that a user is using only 1 account.

Its easy to spot the "dupers" and although they may fool the casual user they don't fool the people that count.

If I see them lowballing an appraisal I make a point of posting in that thread.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for my two cents, moderators do a better job at weeding out bogus and bad stuff than displaying IP numbers... good mods use a number of ways to do detective work, not just IP numbers...

those who want to do bogus and bad stuff would probably be able to find a way to use multiple IP numbers...

some good people would not want to have *everyone* see their IP numbers...

so you could wind up harming good folks and not detering non-good folks...

just my two cents

P

prasit

well, what i'm saying is show just last 3 numbers of the IPs, omitting the first number, eg.

xxx.224.21.56

anyway, if you guys think that's it shouldn't show the IPs, then i accept your comment.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i agree that this could cause problems...

showing all but the first three digits means theres on a possible 999 ip addresses...

most normal networking tools could narrow that list down by simple port scanning and makes it more than a little bit easy for someone to attack a users machine...

i get what you mean prasit but i for one wouldnt like my ip broadcast in that way

(even if my shiny apple mac is bombproof :) )

as namepopper said you should report posts where you think people are double posting even if they log off the net and recycle their ip through their isp a simple traceroute would show at least which isp they use and as i have done at a forum i mod traced double posters who hace been causing trouble.

[disclaimer]this is not a how-to, this is merely meant to identify potential weakspots so as to prevent security holes from appearing[/disclaimer]

:)
CiQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators