Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

do city names worth anything if .net / .info / .org ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder if some city names of about 50,000 people worth anything if they are .info , .net or .org

I think so but would love to hear other opinions.

Cheers

Domain Days 2024

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
depends... in the EU internet penetration is around 50%... so ideally there would be 25000 internet users in a town/city with population of 50000 which quite good. thus there might be some traffic. if the town/city is a famous place, you'll have many visitors from other locations. then again, i think only ccTLD city names have traffic (with a few exceptions)... at least that's what i noticed. problem is all the ccTLD city names are taken. as for info, net or org, i think they are worth of smth only for ppl who want to develop them into websites. personally i would take infos rather than nets or orgs.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cheers mate so let`s make an example:

would you prefer Roma.it rather than Roma.com or Rome.com ?

In Italy .it is preferred than .com so I agree with you but look at Branson.com sold for more than $1.5 millions, small town in Missouri.

They did not buy Branson.us, I think Usa is preferring .coms because they think represents Usa and it will take more time.

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
italiandragon said:
They did not buy Branson.us, I think Usa is preferring .coms because they think represents Usa and it will take more time.

USA is very different from EU in this sense. Furthermore, I think americans might be more likely to visit rome.com while italians roma.it. what i also noticed is that native speakers rarely use english names with their ccTLD. some cities have different variants of their name in english and the local language, ie a local person would be more likely to visit roma.it rather than rome.it, while a foreigner would be more likely to visit rome.com rather than roma.com. of course, there might be lots of exceptions, however, I think in europe this is fairly true.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mistermouse63 said:
USA is very different from EU in this sense. Furthermore, I think americans might be more likely to visit rome.com while italians roma.it. what i also noticed is that native speakers rarely use english names with their ccTLD. some cities have different variants of their name in english and the local language, ie a local person would be more likely to visit roma.it rather than rome.it, while a foreigner would be more likely to visit rome.com rather than roma.com. of course, there might be lots of exceptions, however, I think in europe this is fairly true.

yes I agree totally, thank you

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We hold a few International city / state names outside the .com space (i.e. in .org, .net) and they have received significant interest both from end users and resellers or brokers...

Hold 'em for the right buyer or develop.

I laugh when I get a $100 offer for a short TLD for a city/region with a population of 2M+ (!)

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
italiandragon said:
I wonder if some city names of about 50,000 people worth anything if they are .info , .net or .org

I think so but would love to hear other opinions.

Cheers
In Europe, Info and com cities can bring some of the biggest purchase prices (in addition to the respective countries ccTLD). In the United States, Cities with populations above 10k are very tough to pick up in com and the .US cctld. Also tough to pick up .info locations. My guess on an example of SanFrancisco.com would maybe take $20 million+ to pick up if at all. US City 2 word hyphen infos have sold for $xx,xxx recently. My experience is that net and org don't work well.

Let me know if you find any, I'm a buyer. :usa2:

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
In Europe, Info and com cities can bring some of the biggest purchase prices (in addition to the respective countries ccTLD). In the United States, Cities with populations above 10k are very tough to pick up in com and the .US cctld. Also tough to pick up .info locations. My guess on an example of SanFrancisco.com would maybe take $20 million+ to pick up if at all. US City 2 word hyphen infos have sold for $xx,xxx recently. My experience is that net and org don't work well.

Let me know if you find any, I'm a buyer. :usa2:

Thank you.....I`m digging.......and can confirm it`s extremely hard to find something in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom