Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Do Not Use Paypal to Sell a Domain Name!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rentdn

T_T
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
rentdn said:
The problem is everyone uses them, and almost noone uses moneybookers.

Moneybookers will become more popular , because it already allow to add funds by CC ( about 3 month ago ), and The bigest Poker Rooms already accept deposits and withdrawals by this way ( PartyPoker add this option month ago )

Domain Days 2024

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Greg, here's the VP of customer services direct line:

1-402-935-2269 Michelle

Thanks Adam, I called her and she already knew about my case. She's going to call the thief.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great!

Hope she helps.

-=DCG=-

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MoneyBookers stinks. I had a transaction with them that took weeks to complete. It was a $600 transaction and it took Moneybookers about 2 weeks to give me an account verification so I can retrieve the funds. Then I did a $300 transfer to my bank which was suppose to cost about $3. When I got the money it was $25 off plus moneybookers took the $3. I email MB and they never replied...I emailed again a week later rather angrily..finally someone replied saying to check the bank and that wire transfers can sometimes get fees from incoming bank. Of course I already checked my bank and they said no fees and that sender would have to check route. I was really ticked. Moneybookers wouldn't help and kept telling me it was receiving end...which I think is total BS. I know that senders are the ones that get the fees. I asked for the info from MoneyBookers but they never gave it..I gave up after about a month of this crap and never logged into the account again. Sad I didn't take all the money out at once so I was charged another $25 to get the rest of my money out.

MB stinks...it has really crappy support and the site itself is budget at best. Maybe for non-us residents it's a good deal but imho despite the .01% of problems at Paypal they are still the best. Some have bad experiences but I really have a peave about people blaming everyone but themselves for problems. Seems like many paypal issues could be resolved if their TOS was read and followed. Sure there is risk but that's business.

Also if you got the $1400 chargeback expect the rest of the money to get pulled eventually too. I am not sure about DCG's advice but it's easy enough to send a CD to the person with confirmed shipping and signature request. Then you are locked for the paypal protection.

Sell a domain...tell the buyer he must provide his confirmed mailing address. Ship a CD to him via confirmed delivery confirmation with signature request.

Or you can just use an escrow service. :)

For $4k I would unless the person had great reputation.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Or you can just use an escrow service.

For $4k I would unless the person had great reputation"

Which brings me to my next point....

Any transaction higher than 500$ = escrow.com....

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well the bad thing about escrow.com is that I can not use it. For some reason, they do not allow Arizona residents to use there system? Not sure why, but they don't.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rarethings said:
"Or you can just use an escrow service.

For $4k I would unless the person had great reputation"

Which brings me to my next point....

Any transaction higher than 500$ = escrow.com....

I sold a $15K name before and used Escrow.com. The buyer changed all the whois to bogus info. Escrow.com wouldn't release the $15K to me. I'd have been shit out of luck if I didn't get Enom to push the name back to me.

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For selling domain, probably sedo is better.

I heard someone said that When you had a transaction, you can just push your name to sedo and leave them to deal with the buyer. This way you will get your money for sure.

Not sure if it is true, I never sell a name yet on sedo :(

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah but sedo releasing the money from them to you is the next issue....the list goes on...WIRED FUNDS to your account solves all problems...it's easy..they just call their bank up and say "wire this much to account # blah blah blah"

For paypal I always request the funds in a domain sale and make the payment type "quasi cash" in the selection of transaction type, this is like an ATM withdrawal and cannot be charged back on a credit card. I put the domain in the notes of course and save any push confirmation emails when you transfer/push the domain, also make sure you only put the domains new whois info in EXACTLY the same as the paypal info thats included with the payment...just my wooden nickel..peace :)

Chris

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
so how do you sign an agreement that will be accepted by paypal since they require a receipt??

Even though Im screwed by Paypal, for an amount that big in the high $XXX - $X,XXX , im willing to take it further to get my property back..

Look at it this way.. If you go to court, you get the domain that you sold for that amount back and survive to sell it again. Rather than letting the buyer jip you out of a worthy domain name. You will atleast have something to go on

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents for this thread:
escrow.com - what happened to "Fearless", thats exactly why no one should use escrow.com for domains. The only reliable escrows for domains are Sedo and Moniker, because they escrow both parties = they get the domain into their account. I would probably prefer Moniker for their great human support.

For bank wires:
There exists total 3 fees for bank wires: sending bank, corresponding bank and receiving bank. It is up to sender, how he wants to share fee, here is the codes:
OUR - sender pays all 3 parts of the payment
SHARE - sender pays fees of his bank, recevier pays fees of corresponding and his bank
BENE - receiver pays all fees

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For any transaction over $1000, wire transfers would make a lot of sense (wire fees would be lower than Paypal fees).

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also true. Wire transfers are probably the best way, but many buyers are clearly reluctant to simply "hand over" the cash.

BTW I have heard great things from Moniker from almost every seller. I'm gonna have to try them out soon.....

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
faxed signed agreements and a wire or dont do the deal if its $xx,xxx EVER

or escrow.com, I have never had a problem with them up to $xx,xxx dollar amounts and they always paid me mega fast

rentdn

T_T
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
labrocca said:
MoneyBookers stinks. I had a transaction with them that took weeks to complete. It was a $600 transaction and it took Moneybookers about 2 weeks to give me an account verification so I can retrieve the funds. Then I did a $300 transfer to my bank which was suppose to cost about $3. When I got the money it was $25 off plus moneybookers took the $3. I email MB and they never replied...I emailed again a week later rather angrily..finally someone replied saying to check the bank and that wire transfers can sometimes get fees from incoming bank. Of course I already checked my bank and they said no fees and that sender would have to check route. I was really ticked. Moneybookers wouldn't help and kept telling me it was receiving end...which I think is total BS. I know that senders are the ones that get the fees. I asked for the info from MoneyBookers but they never gave it..I gave up after about a month of this crap and never logged into the account again. Sad I didn't take all the money out at once so I was charged another $25 to get the rest of my money out.

MB stinks...it has really crappy support and the site itself is budget at best. Maybe for non-us residents it's a good deal but imho despite the .01% of problems at Paypal they are still the best. Some have bad experiences but I really have a peave about people blaming everyone but themselves for problems. Seems like many paypal issues could be resolved if their TOS was read and followed. Sure there is risk but that's business.

Also if you got the $1400 chargeback expect the rest of the money to get pulled eventually too. I am not sure about DCG's advice but it's easy enough to send a CD to the person with confirmed shipping and signature request. Then you are locked for the paypal protection.

Sell a domain...tell the buyer he must provide his confirmed mailing address. Ship a CD to him via confirmed delivery confirmation with signature request.

Or you can just use an escrow service. :)

For $4k I would unless the person had great reputation.

I know about their poor support , but it was in past now they are doing better , what about 25$ probably it was charged by your bank as a fee

joeny

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Listen Folks , I have sold lots of domians and have used all the services ,

Paypal is the worst and alot follow , BUT the best , most professional service out there is

www.escrow.com

No BS , they give the buyer/seller inspection period that you both agree on , they handle the money , you can either get a bank wire , check , or over nite check

and the fees are about the same or maybe cheaper than the rest ,

Some people say "well I need the money like now in minutes"

Well waiting a couple of days is WAY better that some @#$% doing a charge back!

Seriously this was one of the best services I use and will now always use

Once you use it you will never accept anything else

Oh and BY THE WAY , THEY specialize in Domains sales!

Joe

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
escrow.com ? Thats crazy, because they have NO WAY to verify ownership of a domain. Because they do not get domain into their possession. The only reliable Escrow is Enom and Moniker, because they physically get domain into their possession before send the money to the seller. Someone in another thread told, how he was screwed this way for $15,000 - buyer got the domain, change whois back to the seller and claimed he did not get it and requested money back. It can work also the other way - seller change whois to the buyer and claims, he already transfered the domain and will get the money.

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most of my transactions go well..All through paypal. I had one buyer try screw me filing a chargeback which he lost after I sent paypal a link to the person trying to sell the site on sitepoint the day after filing a chargeback :)

On a side note I sold a site for $xxx a few days back and all went fine via paypal. Any reputable member on this forum I beleive you can do business with but then again anything can happen, Something as bad as you think your dealing with even DCG only to find his DNF account was hacked hours earlier and you just been scammed, The mailing the CD is a great idea, Push domain to a new account, put the user and pass on the CD in a text file along with a backup of site files

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
paulrogers250 said:
The mailing the CD is a great idea, Push domain to a new account, put the user and pass on the CD in a text file along with a backup of site files

Excellent add-on to DCG's idea (proprietary info about the domain in a hard format such as a CD.)

We've used PayPal for $xxx up to mid $xxxx domain transactions, but only with careful verification of whom we're dealing with. IE... established members on a site.

Knock on wood, no negative PayPal experiences for us yet, either as a buyer or seller of both virtual and tangible goods and services.

Rob

P.S. At $xxxx and higher levels, the PP fees start to become significant... best is wire transfer too...

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
joeny said:

u must be shitting me?? smells like an advertisement coming directly from them.

escrow.com is by far the most dangerous 'service' to use when dealing with domains, because they have no way of really verifying who's got a domain at any given time. they are just happless spectators in the whole process, with a power to take your money and keep it until the costly and lengthy arbitration. its enough that seller or buyer claims opposite of what you claim and u r shit out of your luck. so if u had an unfortunate thing to deal with dishonest seller or plain crook u r simply ****ed trying to get escrow.com not only on your side, but even to really act upon the issue. because they will keep your money indefinitely (even up to a year they 'proudly' say) and will give u lengthy runarounds when u call them (they will never call u) and even if the 'incident' is concluded 'happily' by some divine miracle (which unfortunately in the case of 'fearless' member above hasn't happened) they will penalize you for any future transaction by labelling u 'difficult' and taking away certain privilegs from your account despite u maybe having bunch of previous transactions with them.

escrow.com is a nightmare, and would only recommend it to eastern european crooks as a way of making easy money from 'dumb americans'

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom