Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

do the big players ever sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question :)

I'm just wondering if Anything .com or Netcorp ever sell at enduser prices?

Is it worth contacting them?

Domain Days 2024

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Never seen it happen so far hehe

Even we only sell under extremely good conditions, used to sell a fair few domains back in the day when a good offer came along but now regret whenever a name is sold so its too hard to part with them haha

Very rarely these days.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is absolutely no reason for the top holders to sell at this time.

I think you will see them start selling when valuations are put at values greater than 100x annual revenue.

Maybe 3-5 years from now you will see them start cashing out.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just like you asked this question, askt the holder of the domain if he/she wants to sell. Can't hurt and you never know until you ask. In life timing is 50% of the battle, you might call the same day his/her spouse files for divorce and they might want to sell then but not yesterday when Joe Schmo called. Cheers,

Acro

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Zoobar said:
There is absolutely no reason for the top holders to sell at this time.

I think you will see them start selling when valuations are put at values greater than 100x annual revenue.

Maybe 3-5 years from now you will see them start cashing out.

On the contrary, they'll be tempted to sell when their return approaches the risk-free rate (i.e. treasuries) as there will be better places to put money to work.

As much as I would wish for 100x, I don't think that's realistic in general cases.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, they sell. But, it is not very often.

Even Name Admin has sold names.
I know of a couple that Monte sold for them.

However, you would not have known unless you
looked thru the domain history.

As it was stated above, it all depends on the offer price compared
to the yearly revenue. You won't get their attention with a 10X.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. It's not for me but the company I work for is very interested in 2 of their holdings (one at each Co.). One is very prime, the other I wouldn't value over $1000 even to an enduser. I was hoping someone would say 'yeah I bought one' ..so I know there's a chance..but I was wondering if they only let go of names for 7 figs lol , or if they would consider mid $xx,xxx to low $xxx,xxx. If they don't consider in that range I didn't want to waste anyones time. I don't think these domains are big traffic names either.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so u value it at $1000 and say they value it at $50000 so maybe you two can meet in the middle... i'd send over an e-mail and go from there.

just some advice...don't sound desperate or mention any companies, because then the price will shoot up exponentially.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have never tried to buy an expensive domain name from a big player, but from what I hear it sounds like the Tijuana sales approach...once a buyer shows interest in a product, the price shoots up. The way to combat this in Tijuana is by having more than one option of places to purchase. The same approach could apply here, let them know from the start that you are considering a few different options. Works even better if you actually are considering a few different options.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
duck, i don't think that approach would even get you a response... these guys weren't born yesterday. they have been buying and reselling domains for a while.

you just gotta sound genuine and not like somebody who is looking for a bargain. they are more then interested to sell off for the right price and re-invest. do they care if it will be a win-win situation when all is said and done? of course not...you need the domain more then they need it, so you have to keep that in mind and not screw up your one chance to get it when and if you decide to make contact.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mike031 said:
so u value it at $1000 and say they value it at $50000 so maybe you two can meet in the middle... i'd send over an e-mail and go from there.
We wouldn't meet them in the middle at $25k or anything more than $5k, no way. The domain I feel is only worth $1000, is what I would say was enduser pricing. If I owned it, and tried to sell it here, it would probably go for only $100, if that.

Duckinla said:
...once a buyer shows interest in a product, the price shoots up.
I agree.

We do have other options, its just the matter of really wanting the domain badly, not needing it. It would be very nice to have them, but it's not essential to our business. We would only pay so much for it. Not an outrageous amount, like 100x years rev.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dvestors said:
thanks for the replies. It's not for me but the company I work for is very interested in 2 of their holdings (one at each Co.). One is very prime, the other I wouldn't value over $1000 even to an enduser. I was hoping someone would say 'yeah I bought one' ..so I know there's a chance..but I was wondering if they only let go of names for 7 figs lol , or if they would consider mid $xx,xxx to low $xxx,xxx. If they don't consider in that range I didn't want to waste anyones time. I don't think these domains are big traffic names either.

It's hard to discuss these things precisely in the abstract. Alot depends on the domain name itself.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
let them know from the start that you are considering a few different options.

I laugh and tell them to go with one of the other options.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It certainly seems to be a sellers market right now because so many people believe quality domain names will be worth twice as much in a couple years. Reminds me of buying a house in Southern California last year. The seller wouldn't entertain offers...but at least my realtor was willing to negotiate his fee. Like I said, your better able to negotiate when you have other options. It's true for buyers and sellers.
There's a right way and a wrong way to let someone know you have other options. A party that believes they are in a position of power will have an allergic reaction to a hard-ball approach but may entertain a more humble approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom