Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Do trademarked names drop??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafti

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been watching a .info name that use to be a trademark. I went to the U.S. patent and trademark office website at http://www.uspto.gov/ and searched the name. It said that the name has been Abandoned. The "Live/Dead Indicator" said it was dead. The expiration date on this name was in EARLY August of 2006. So the question is, why hasn't this name been put on hold by now? There is still an existing website there as well. Are there different restrictions when it comes to names dropping on expired trademarked names?

Thanks. :)

Domain Days 2024

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If the trademark is all that has expired, then the domain will only expire if the domainowner fails to renew it, if the domain has expired aswell as the trademark i dont know what happened. Im pretty sure trademark only matters for the initial registration

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From my understanding, "abandoned" in regards to the USPTO is in reference only to the registration of the mark there...

It's quite possible for an "abandoned" mark to still be protected as a common law mark and/or protected in other geographical regions ... ie. in a particular state, another country, etc.

And finally, it's sometimes possible to *revive* an "abandoned" mark.

In regards to the domain name itself, Droplister is right ... trademark sometimes matters during initial registration, such as during a "sunrise" period during launch of a new TLD, but typically doesn't matter in regards to renewal - if the fee isn't paid, the domain will be dropped and made available to others to register.

Ron

Talkhost

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
trademark names will drop, but it does not mean there is no trademark issues with the name.. you can reg them as it is not the problem of the registrar to check TM issues.... but the TM holder can still give you problems

B.King

Hard Ass™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It makes no diffrence if on the registration/ dropping procedure of the name because its trade marked, the name is probably in redemption period , when this will be over it would be available to register

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom