Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Do you judge people based...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
on their email address? If someone writes you asking about a name and they are using an email address like hotmail do you automatically assume they are a noob or a kid? Is gmail more prestigious than Yahoo mail?

If someone writes you from [email protected] do you automatically respect them more?

Domain Days 2024

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't ignore anyone who wants to buy a domain , I have had good sales to hotmail addies.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Always better to be safe than sorry. :) If they have the money, then who cares what email address they are writing from. As long as their money is good that's all I care about.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I certainly think the e-mail address can give pause for question. You have to wonder how sophisiticated someone is sometimes based on their e-mail. I once had the displeasure of working with a "consultant". She had an AOL e-mail address which was a tip off to me that she couldn't be too high up on the consulting food chain. Sure enough, she was always real bad about e-mails and voice mails and about six months into her stay our I.T. guy told me she had saved zero files on the company server.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One of my secrets is I often use a young persons sounding free email address such as toprockersongs @ hotmail.com (not a real one). That way they are more likely to give a low price vs if they think I am a domainer or have an impressive email address when they likely will raise the price signficantly (been there and done that a few times). When it comes time to push the name I give them my regular email address which is based on one of my domains. After buying a number of names that way emailing to the sellers admin whois contact info not one of the sellers has ever asked about my young persons sounding alternate email address. If they did ask I would tell them why just like I am revealing here as it is ok to do that and there is nothing unethical about it anyway.

P.S. Just to clarify that, when I use that free email acct method I do not say anything dishonest thru use of the email address. such as I am in my 20's with little money and spend my money going to rock concerts, etc., saying that would be deceptive. I never say anything pretending I am indeed young or inexperienced (though they may incorrectly think that is so) but it does work in at least not getting the price jacked up because they may think your a pro or have deep pockets. A negative is I suspect I sometimes get no replies at all or prices due to the seller thinking wrongly I am not serious.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have no bias. It's easier for me to judge a buyer if they use a domain for email vs hotmail/gmail. However as trader said..often when I want to buy a domain and email the whois owner...I use my gmail account for better anonyminity.

As a seller...I could care less what your email is if your money is good.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sevent said:
on their email address? If someone writes you asking about a name and they are using an email address like hotmail do you automatically assume they are a noob or a kid? Is gmail more prestigious than Yahoo mail?

If someone writes you from [email protected] do you automatically respect them more?
no, no, yes
and no

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not at all...i treat all the emails except for spam with due respect...no discrimination but I might become selective soon or later as i become busier.

VioxxLawyers

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Gmail more "prestigious"?
Gmail= Yahoo= Hotmail= Excite= Lycos and so on.

Same "prestige" level, which means NO "prestige".

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not judge based on their email. However, if I do not have a good feeling with something during talks, I will choose not to sell the domain.

Money is money, if it is good and clears the bank, then it should be fine. If you are hesitant make sure to use a 3rd party like Moniker Escrow service to perform the transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom