Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Do you still class .info as a ‘new’ extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't :party:

- I routinely come across .info sites when I'm browsing the web
- Over 25 million pages indexed in Google (compared to 6 million this time last year).
- New registrations remain strong (2000 + per day compared to around 1100 pre promotion)

- Rob

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't consider .info to be new, but I don't come across very many when I'm browsing. It is actually kinda rare for me (or maybe I just haven't noticed).

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
I don't consider .info to be new, but I don't come across very many when I'm browsing. It is actually kinda rare for me (or maybe I just haven't noticed).

That's strange; maybe it's just me.

Today for example I wanted to check the PR for one of my sites, pagerank.net was down so I ran a search on Google, prchecker.info was the 6th result listed on the first page (not bad out of 4,320,000).

My guess is that .info sites are getting listed higher up the index than they once were or, maybe it's all down to good SEO and what I'm seeing is just coincidence.

- Rob

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This may be old hat to you folks..but here is a way to see all the .INFO sites listed in Google --

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=site:.INFO&btnG=Search

"Results 1 - 100 of about 27,200,000 for site:.INFO."
(the number seems to vary sometimes, perhaps due to server changes at Google?)

For my two cents, I think it will always be a "new extension" like a "younger brother" is always a younger brother -- no matter hold old the children get :)

A couple of my .INFO sites are on the first couple results in Google out of thousands of results, but the search terms are not major ones

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I still consider it new, probably for another 2 years or so...

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Only to people new to the Web....

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it is not a new extension even for newbies

it is just the 5th top domain extension

and will remain the 5th for ever even more pages indexed at google amd more registrations are done

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think affilias lit up every dormant .info at one point.. every one; and the entire name space of unregistered .info names (wildcarded a' la sitefinder) garnered only 30,000 unique visits a day. If you want to make a living hawking .info's god bless you but no serious speculator should regard them as anything but a stepping stone to a real domain name.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chaiki said:
If you want to make a living hawking .info's god bless you but
no serious speculator
should regard them as anything but
a stepping stone to a real domain name.

I assume you are implying that .com is the only "real domain name" ?

I guess I better let those free 25 .info's drop in 6 months. Since, I surely
don't want to waste any money to renew them.

Chaiki, Do you really, honestly think that .info's will never take off ????

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think Mark Twain said (and i'm paraphrasing) .. "To be successful, find out where the people are going and get there first" .. Last time I checked people were still mostly going to .com .net .org or the country code tld of the country they want info about. The more time elapses, the more difficult it is to change that.

Every TLD has some good in it and .info will always hold a special place in my heart as the TLD that makes me giggle after I say it.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chaiki, thank you for the advise.

But, why did you include .net and .org?

People only type-in .com. (unless, they are clearly looking for an org type site.)
Or, they go to google. Which, might include some .info sites.

Therefore, it appears that the only way people will go to an .info site if it
has an active website which is listed in google.

Rob, I guess some consider .info a stepchild rather than a new extension.

But, don't stepchildren grow up????

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow.. you are a smart guy so I am going to asume we're still engaged in a game of 'post the obvious'. At their heart all domain names are about traffic .. the registrant of "mortgage.info" wants people to come to his website so he/she can sell them mortgages, loans and pine air fresheners with his company's logo. If he didn't he would have registered m-o-r-t-g-a-g-e-4-u-today.info . All domain names get bought with this same underlying logic whether the purchaser is buying one name to brand or hundreds of names to point to another site. It is about 'hope' in a way .. hope for traffic.

.NET and .ORG still get traffic. People will visit Chicago.org and Ringtones.net today based on the name and the gravity of the suffix. .Biz, .info, .us and other namespaces who have tried wildcarding their dns have proven they do not get traffic in any measurable volume. "No Traffic = No Hope". This is a simple formula we should all learn. Come to think of it I might get it as a tattoo.. or perhaps a t-shirt. Yes a t-shirt.

I am not saying you can't build traffic www.webhosting.info has done a fine job of that and google.com has done it at the .com (what is a google anyway) But in the end if you are looking for generic domain names that you can buy so that you can make money with the free traffic you generate, so that you can write long rambling posts like this one instead of going to work at a job, then buy a .com/.net/.org or the country code tld of the country you live in (excluding .us which is like the crazy half brother I keep in my basement).

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chaiki said:
actnow.. you are a smart guy.

Chaiki, you made one incorrect assumption. :-D

As for the other points. None of us know for sure.

I remember in the early '90's wondering
"Why would I need a domain name?"
Boy, was I wrong. Especially, when they were free.

Rob, to answer you question. Yes, I still consider .info's a new extension.
And, I will continue to "occasionally" buy .info's for speculation.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.info is a new extension. I've been buying loads of them. And they don't get any traffic. But I believe in them long term so I will keep buying.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chaiki said:
Every TLD has some good in it and .info will always hold a special place in my heart as the TLD that makes me giggle after I say it.

Do you really think that? I actually think .info sound rather professional, more so than .NET. and some other gTLDs.

- Rob

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it'd be nice getting step children traffic like www.imageshack.us

right under hosting.com under keyword hosting in google and #5 out of 293million in google for keyword image :-D

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
zouzas said:
it'd be nice getting step children traffic like www.imageshack.us

right under hosting.com under keyword hosting in google and #5 out of 293million in google for keyword image :-D

Or spain.info for that matter, No. 6 out of 53,300,000 for the keyword spain, just above lonelyplanet.com :-D

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
new extension, no. good extension, yes. as mentioned in another thread dot com and dot info are the only two extensions i have focused on in the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom