Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain accounts being stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProPlay

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was reading some horror stories about domain accounts being stolen.

How can we protect our accounts from being stolen?

Is this very common?

Should I be worried about having almost all of my domains @ GoDaddy.com ??

I use really long password and strange username.

Sticks

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
(I'm telling all I know. I know there are other peers who knows much more than me)
First of all make sure your domains are locked. This would prevent your dn's to be transferred.

And the point I want to mention is usernames and passwords since I have a lot of information about this and I really faced such problems with my customers, friends etc...
Make sure passwords you're using over internet are totally different. I mean let's say when you sign up on a website you used the password : X2X2X2 and this is the common password you do use while surfing, for accounts, domains etc... Don't do this since many sites will be able to see your passwords and this would cause your passwords to be stolen. For example we said you used the pass X2X2X2 while registering on a site and your account on godaddy has the same password (even your email). The point is : Make sure all of your account passwords are totally (100% - make sure they are not even close) different. Passwords are the most important parts of our lives since they open the doors. And I am pretty sure that you wouldn't want anyone else to open the doors that you own ;)

I hope you get it...

(Based on a true story)

ProPlay

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nice reply Sticks

so its all about passwords and also not falling on Physing scam emails and keeping your PC clean and protected from all the crapware around.

Sticks

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there are any other factors but I'm not sure.
A hacker can steal your domain by accessing your email or accessing into your domain management area. To gain access to your email account or domain area he/she must obtain your password somehow right? Even if you have virus protection on your computer and makes you think you're in safe you're wrong since a hacker can gain access to your computer by finding open ports. So that I highly suggest a professional and good Firewall. Also some security scanners to scan your computer for open ports, backdoors/trojans/keyloggers would be great.

That is the way I do. I have virus and firewall protection. Firewall prompts for every single action happening on my comp. I also regularly scan my computers for the factors I mentioned above (keyloggers,backdoors,trojans etc...)

BTW There are many other methods to gain access to someone's email account. For example : Fake Mails. These are usually emails with the same design of most email providers such as Hotmail, Yahoo etc... When you open such emails, for example, a login page comes up asking your user and password. And it goes on like this...

Some fake mails for outlook kinda appplications contains false links. These emails look like it's being sent from your original dn registrar however most of them has fake links. For example the email is "Your domain on Godaddy is about to expire. Please login to your account by clicking here" (Usually the "by clicking here" link goes to an ip that hacker arranged and the page you arrive normally has the same design of your registrar and there are people, still, being cheated with such methods...

That's all in my mind at the moment.

;) Stay away from hackers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom