Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain expired - they need it back. How much to charge?

• Thread starter Deleted member 111831
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 111831

I picked up a domain in a drop auction that has little value other than the fact that I think it'll get a decent amount of traffic. Paid $35 or something for it. The same day I took control of it I get an email, very polite, from the previous owner, telling me he thinks I 'registered' his domain. I explained to him it was from a drop auction and I empathize with his plight but this is what I do etc. Said I'd need a significant offer to sell it before seeing what the traffic was like.

He says no problem lets wait a week and he offers to pay me 12 months of earnings. Sounds good to me if the domain starts making $3 a day or something, so I accept. He then thanks me for being so honest and ups his offer to 15 months.

So we wait. It didn't do anything, 1-5 uniques a day and no clicks. I'm not gonna lie to the guy.

He said the domain was used for his companies' databases and it would be a huge hassle for them to use a different domain. Other than this, he said the domain had no use.

So how much do I charge this guy for the name? Assume it's a reg fee domain that I'll let drop in a year most likely. Oh and he's emailing me from a four letter .com that is probably worth $100k reseller, but Alexa of only 800k, so not that big of a company I guess.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You bought it hoping for traffic rather than any inherent value - probably drop it in a year - ask four times cost, everyone wins.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I picked up a domain in a drop auction that has little value other than the fact that I think it'll get a decent amount of traffic. Paid $35 or something for it. The same day I took control of it I get an email, very polite, from the previous owner, telling me he thinks I 'registered' his domain. I explained to him it was from a drop auction and I empathize with his plight but this is what I do etc. Said I'd need a significant offer to sell it before seeing what the traffic was like.

He says no problem lets wait a week and he offers to pay me 12 months of earnings. Sounds good to me if the domain starts making $3 a day or something, so I accept. He then thanks me for being so honest and ups his offer to 15 months.

So we wait. It didn't do anything, 1-5 uniques a day and no clicks. I'm not gonna lie to the guy.

He said the domain was used for his companies' databases and it would be a huge hassle for them to use a different domain. Other than this, he said the domain had no use.

So how much do I charge this guy for the name? Assume it's a reg fee domain that I'll let drop in a year most likely. Oh and he's emailing me from a four letter .com that is probably worth $100k reseller, but Alexa of only 800k, so not that big of a company I guess.

check archieve.org to see if previous website and if his personal name is associated or listed in anyway

if his claim is true...it's up to you

give it back for what you paid, plus a small fee

or keep and try to squeeze him for big bucks

your choice, but remember

what goes around....comes around

:)

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Biggedon I think you meant archive.org "way back machine" if I am not mistaking.

Same thing happens to me all the the time and I usually get $200-$500 depending on how bad they want it I am sure he will give at least that. Or what you can do is if you do not think you can sell it for much and there is no traffic charge him the reg fee you paid plus the redemption fee he would have paid because he let the name expire usually $89(Godaddy terms).

Last edited:

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it would be a huge hassle for them to use a different domain.
There is the key to the answer. If his story is true.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
At $3 /day of assumed earnings he was willing to pay you 15 months of revenue.

The domain makes zero, despite what you think of its marketability, alexa ranking etc. In other words you are facing a worth of zero dollars versus the maximum he was willing to pay for the domain, which was approximately $1,350

So ask for a symbolic amount - say - $1,000 and you will see the other party gladly agree to it.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What does his company do? I have worked out deals where I receive services/products in exchange.

I have also given the name back at 2x my cost because the former owner was very professional.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
What does his company do? I have worked out deals where I receive services/products in exchange.

That'd be a perfect solution if it were a domain formerly owned by a Vegas stripper :D

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
whatever you can get , lol. i get so sick of these people. they always have a sob story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom