Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

domain grace period scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How do you take advantage of this Moniker Service?.. Ie being able to delete domains within a few days and only pay the 25 cents?..

This seems like a good idea to me, might have to try some new regs for the first time in ages :)

Domain Days 2024

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How do you take advantage of this Moniker Service?.. Ie being able to delete domains within a few days and only pay the 25 cents?..

If you are registering domains at Moniker, they have a link that says something like "domains in 4 day grace period". You can click on that and delete anything. They give a credit to your account immediately that you can use for other registrations. I have found them to be a great service but you need to work out the registration price with them so you don't pay retail. When you talk to them personally, they are extremely customer friendly.

commandercody

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since most of the traffic would be from either a former website people are looking to visit; existing traffic, or type-in traffic would 5 days really be enough time to figure if its worth anything?
What you really need is a program that keeps track of computers, or a server; that can tally up all the type-ins that lead to nowhere. With and overall picture you would'nt need to have the 5 day period.

Example:
Sorry, no information is available for the URL www.zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.com

If the URL is valid, try visiting that web page by clicking on the following link: www.zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.com
Find web pages from the site www.zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.com
Find web pages that contain the term "www.zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.com"

10,000 people typed the URL for zzz.... this month, sounds like a good choice.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It basically allows you to take risks on domains you otherwise would not have registered.
For example you have a typo that does well. You can register 15 typo variations of that domain. After 4 days you might keep 2 of them and drop the other 13.
Also you can check out low traffic domains that you wouldn't normally register. You will sometimes find that the CTR or click value justifies keeping it, even with 2 visitors per day.

March2005

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
commandercody said:
What you really need is a program that keeps track of computers, or a server; that can tally up all the type-ins that lead to nowhere. With and overall picture you would'nt need to have the 5 day period.

I think that I read an article saying that this is what VeriSign wants to do, but they need permission from ICANN to do so.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Monte is to be praised for offering the grace period to his customers. I have used it very well several times. Other registrars refuse to give refunds under any circumstances, even with 5 minutes of a request.

Just noticed the Moniker Grace Period is now 4-days which I think may be a reduction in time since I recall it was 5-days earlier. Not that it matters much as the names I cancel are typically within 2 or 3 days anyway since it is so easy to tell if there is traffic quickly. I can tell within hrs of it resolving as a traffic name will almost always get hits the first day (even just a few) vs a non-traffic which will get zero the first day.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's grace period has been 4 days for the 3-4 months that I've been using Moniker. However, it has the very nice feature of telling you how many hours are left in the grace period for every name that you register.
I'm pretty sure .org names don't qualify for the deletion option.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pulling up this old thread because Bob Parsons has put out another item regarding the grace period scheme.

http://www.bobparsons.com/DomainKiting.html

I've done a little research and I may have to eat my previous words and agree with Bob here. It seems there is no ICANN fee for domains that are dropped in the 5 day period. I had always assumed that everyone payed the 25 cent fee. This is an absolute outrage for four reasons:

1) A party is allowed to rent at zero cost rather than purchase.
2) A party is allowed to tie up property at no cost and keep it from being available to the rest of the market. In real estate only a sucker would allow another party to tie up thier property with no cost and no commitment.
3) There is no restraining the demand for things that are free. You have to put some small cost on pretty much anything to keep people from becoming gluttons.
4) It is clearly skewed in favor of the deeper pockets. The little players has pretty much zero opportunity to compete in this. Many of the domains caught in this scheme may well have been picked up by little players if they had been given a level playing field in terms of time or opportunity cost.
I also found in my research that at least one very

I know from my search that at least one very prominent member of this forum is a vocal supporter of the system with ICANN. Even after reading their arguements I just don't see any validity to it.

March2005

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe one day one of the big “kiting” companies will have some kind of problem and will not be able to drop the names before the deadline.

Then they would be stuck with hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt and no-traffic domain names.

I think that the grace period should be done away with totally.

richard

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
March2005 said:
I think that the grace period should be done away with totally.

I agree, I think it sends quite a seedy message out,
when the domain 'industry' should be doing all it can
to show its good side.

March2005

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom