Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain name market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartsdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I dont know about anyone else but imo the market seems dead at the moment for resellers.

Too many people buying up silly dot whatever names that are worth less than the reg fee.

The premium is in lucrative .com names still.

Domain Days 2024

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"The premium is in lucrative .com names still."

This will never change.

-=DCG=-

dsturbed

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuartsdomains said:
I dont know about anyone else but imo the market seems dead at the moment for resellers.

Too many people buying up silly dot whatever names that are worth less than the reg fee.

The premium is in lucrative .com names still.

Ofcourse this is all just speculation

The market as a whole, I believe, is completely saturated now and getting worse. Alot of us, not excluding myself in some cases, are living with this notion that the better our portfolio the better or chances of landing that one deal netting 5 or 6 figures yada yada yada... so all we're doing is buying up domains and squating on them, which in turn is hurthing the market as a whole. Dare I say, hurting the web as a whole! %+|

Those of us that've come from other specialities in IT and Sales need to start utilizing our talents like I know there's alot of developers on here and we need to put the purchasing on hold and start developing our portfolios so as to make the market presentable again.

Ive got quite a few extremely brandable names, that Im begining development on... hell, I've only been doing this a couple months... I can't be the only one.

IMHO

Cheers

stuartsdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i wish i had the mind set to buy up domain names in the early nineties, id be a multi millionaire now.

dsturbed

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuartsdomains said:
i wish i had the mind set to buy up domain names in the early nineties, id be a multi millionaire now.

You mean like DCG! :bandit:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Holding a large portfolio of crappy names will NEVER be profitable.

Holding fewer, higher quality generic names will be profitable for a very long time, as will developing names into websites that use search engines to drive traffic to them.

MJM

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fullreign said:
You mean like DCG! :bandit:
Not to sound like a DCG stalker (but I been around since Dan sold to GregR, and in turn to DCG) and at this time I believe he just was just breaking into the industry. I'm thinking late 2002-ish.

Which makes the accomplishment that much more impressive. Not discrediting the 90's guys - they run the league, and their foresight/brilliance broke ground for us. But circa-2000 domain empires are always fun to see crop up, especially given the market's saturation.

Regarding premium dot com's: But of course.

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
"The premium is in lucrative .com names still."

This will never change.

-=DCG=-

[Devil's advocate mode on]
Who knows what will happen to the current domain naming system within the next 5-10 years ?

d:)

RepCentral

DN Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Colbert said:
[Devil's advocate mode on]
Who knows what will happen to the current domain naming system within the next 5-10 years ?

d:)

Or something else will upset the balance and a new equilibrium will have to be found. Since it is the new year, here are some thoughts on the future:
(Feel free to add)

- Verisign raising prices will surely have an effect although it may be that good domains get more expensive for the business of domain hunting. Possibly will cool general market for low quality names

- Verisign changes expiration model so auctions move through them. Will they become the Domain Name equivalent of Ebay? Or will it cause an imbalance to the system and goof everything up?

- Microsoft changes how I.E. reacts to domain addresses or removes/hides the address bar all together (gasp). General users (not power users) are the people that click on parked site ads so this could really be bad or good if MS does something odd in an effort to hurt Google. ** I give this a high chance of happening because MS is really after Google's ad money.

- Unique and new method of search or domain organization. There's a lot of smart people out there. Who knows, the next Google could be finalizing their awesome new web services!

Anyone have any more disruptive web predictions that could happen (aside from war, famine or alien invasion)

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Don't get me started.

I remember sitting in my dorm room in 1996 talking about how the good names are probably already taken. Late 1997 I finally wise up and start buying names...wise up probably isn't the best term since all of the names I bought generally were "productXforsale.com" - decent names today but not the generics I should have been buying. Even still i was buying 5 or 10 names a year from 97-2004 when I should have been buying 50 or 100....

I bought one great generic that is now worth a lot, but if if if.....

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
Holding a large portfolio of crappy names will NEVER be profitable.

Holding fewer, higher quality generic names will be profitable for a very long time, as will developing names into websites that use search engines to drive traffic to them.

Now, you tell me!!!
:angry:

All I have is this big pile of manure.

When, I really should have a little pile of diamonds.

Too late now !!!
:biggrin1:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Now, you tell me!!!

Even manure can be valuable...it sells for about $15 per bag at the local gardening store.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
Even manure can be valuable...it sells for about $15 per bag at the local gardening store.

I can get it for $8 :rockon:

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
People who think they missed out on the great names should be figuring out a way to get one or two powerhouse names. They will look back in a year or two and cry about how they could have had great names in 2006.....if they would have only had the guts to pay XX,XXX instead of nickel-diming people for hundreds of crap names. Opportunities are everywhere and they are constant. Most people are building houses in the ghetto when they could still have prime real-estate in Manhattan or Beverly Hills.

They form clubs and hold each other's hands and then ask each other for appraisals all day long. All you need is one great name and the wind will be at your back.

Everyone thinks that if they would have been in the game in the 90's that they would be millionaires, but the truth is that most people don't have the courage to make the tough decision and take a stand. These people will always be on the outside looking in. Many of these people are running away from dotcom because they feel priced-out. The Internet is only one the biggest changes in human behavior in the past 1,000 or so years. Dotcom is synonymous with the movement. If you asked 100 people on the street about .us or a few other extentions, there would be very few who would know what the hell you were talking about.

Bart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog: so true.
I think realizing what you just wrote and acting accordingly is what makes the difference between "the domain crowd" (holding tons of worthless crappy names) and some of the people on this board.

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
If you asked 100 people on the street about .us or a few other extentions, there would be very few who would know what the hell you were talking about.

And a mere dozen years ago the same was true for the .com extension. And terms like "World Wide Web" and "Internet" and "e-mail" and "e-commerce".

Reactions such as "Huh??" and "Whaaa??" were quite common.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Now, you tell me!!!

When, I really should have a little pile of diamonds.

Too late now !!!
:biggrin1:

Sell all of your manure and use that money to buy a diamond.

Never say "it's too late." There never is a better time than now..:humble:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
Everyone thinks that if they would have been in the game in the 90's that they would be millionaires, but the truth is that most people don't have the courage to make the tough decision and take a stand. These people will always be on the outside looking in. Many of these people are running away from dotcom because they feel priced-out. The Internet is only one the biggest changes in human behavior in the past 1,000 or so years. Dotcom is synonymous with the movement. If you asked 100 people on the street about .us or a few other extentions, there would be very few who would know what the hell you were talking about.

Surprisingly, I agree with that :)

However, on DNF most of the members already realize this - they wouldn't have spent a bunch of money on a membership if they thought the market was drying up. There will always be new profitable products and methods available on the internet. Podcasts, Blogs, MySpace and many other new ideas are making people tons of money everyday. I was talking to Howard Hoffman last night on the phone and we agreed, while top notch domains are getting more expensive, there will always be great deals and opportunities for people who aren't afraid to risk a little and have a decent level of intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom