Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain purchased through tdnam, now previous owners want it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dragonhawk

I recently bought a domain through tdnam and today, I got this email from the company who used to own that domain:

Dear Sir or Madam

We are legal and registered owners of www.domain.com

I spoke to people at Godaddy.com, Wild West Domains, 3ix and DomainRightNow and there has been a mistake by giving you an opportunity to register our registered domain.

Please, in order to prevent any inconvenience I kindly ask you to return it.

Best regards,
xxxx
CFO

There is no trademark or copyright associated with the domain. Can they actually force me to return the domain to them? After all, they did let the domain expire and did not renew it even through the redemption period.

Domain Days 2024

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The email may not even be from the previous owner et... tell them you bought the domain for a project and you'd be a fool to just hand over one of your domains to someone making claims in an email (if you are really concerned ask them to verify who you they are and you should do some research yourself...archive.org, google etc...). Even if you ask them to prove who they are you are not agreeing to hand over or sell the domain to them, the general idea is to feel them out (if you respond at all) so that you can avoid a potential UDRP.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't respond to anyone but the registrar.

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You could send it to auction and let the market decide on the value or you can be a nice guy and return it (assuming they pay you a service fee) What's the name?

D

dragonhawk

So you think I should just ignore that I ever got that email?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You'll find out if it's legit or not: GoDaddy will charge you $29 to put the domain in suspend status.

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You'll find out if it's legit or not: GoDaddy will charge you $29 to put the domain in suspend status.

What a bargain lol

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're under no obligation to return the domain and it's up to you if you want to work with the company or not. You bought it fair and square.

D

dragonhawk

Checked archive.org, there was never a site on the domain. Domain was registered in June 2007 and dropped.

And I picked it up for $5 + rego. So about $15 in total.

Why would GD charge me to suspend the domain? Shoudn't they charge them since they are the ones who are complaining?

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tell them you take cash, check, and all major credit cards.

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol

Do you think it's a good idea to reply and ask them to make an offer for the domain? I mean, it's not a great domain or anything.

Toss it up on Sedo or Afternic with a link to the auction

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol

Do you think it's a good idea to reply and ask them to make an offer for the domain? I mean, it's not a great domain or anything.

I say to ask for $500 minimum. That's being a nice guy. But, if it truly was a mistake by Godaddy...... different story

Yofie

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just because a TM is not posted on uspto.gov doesn't always mean there is not a Pending TM. If a Pending TM is in process, it goes back to the filing date from what I understand.

There are also the "bad faith" type domains etc..

So if it's a generic, you should be all clear. If you want to sell it, offer them a price. If you do not wish to sell it, tell them you are not interested in offering it for sale.

D

dragonhawk

I think the general consensus is to just ignore their email and that's exactly what I'll do :)

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
don't be dumb, and don't even flinch about this. You tell them to give you $20,000 +/- and they can have it back.

This is godaddys problem to sort out not yours. Don't be naive about and just say here you go, sorry!!

Remeber..... !!!YOU DID NOTHING WRONG or ILLEGAL!!! The previous owner has no recourse of action directly with you. They may have some grievance with Godaddy, but not you. The reason they are coming to you and asking for you to return the name is because Godaddy allready told them to shut the Fuq'up and shove it where the sun dont shine!

There only recourse is to try and scare you out of the domain, do not waiver or back down. They cant take you to court, so tell them to give you $20,000 or beat it.

Tell them to go buy the .ME !!LOL!!

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they had something to fight with they would've made mention of it, or goburpy would've. Dont take them serious over a 15$ domain. For the 15$ let them fight and spend more getting it back.

with the remark they made in closing
Please, in order to prevent any inconvenience I kindly ask you to return it.
I would reply with
piss off jerk or jerkette

They began the email with "sir or madam" .. does your whois show your name making it obvious of your gender ? could this be automated ?

Jack

Let me add....

They said they were legal and registered owners of the domain.whatever

First off we dont own them, we liscence them per/se. And they arent registered owners anymore, you are. tell em to bugger off, All you got to lose is 15 bucks, have fun with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom