Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain purchased through tdnam, now previous owners want it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As if you didnt already know, I second that motion!!

But first try to squeeze them for a lot of money, be a prick about it!!

If they had something to fight with they would've made mention of it, or goburpy would've. Dont take them serious over a 15$ domain. For the 15$ let them fight and spend more getting it back.

with the remark they made in closing

I would reply with

They began the email with "sir or madam" .. does your whois show your name making it obvious of your gender ? could this be automated ?

Jack

Let me add....

They said they were legal and registered owners of the domain.whatever

First off we dont own them, we liscence them per/se. And they arent registered owners anymore, you are. tell em to bugger off, All you got to lose is 15 bucks, have fun with it.

Domain Days 2024

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just do the right thing sell it to meeee :pound:

seriously this has happened to me too, it all depends on details each name is different , if its generic you have more choices...

I dont like the fact that he states it was a mistake, I think the only mistake was his and he forgot to renew it. The way he words that email its like someone ripped him off... he needs to cool down a bit.

my best advice is proceed with caution.

:yo:

EnricoSchaefer

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The reason you might consider replying is that they are now a potential buyer. They can't make you return the domain. If it is going back, you will indeed hear from GoDaddy. Otherwise, you might start a conversation that results in a voluntary sale and solid ROI.

If they were going to sue you or bring a UDRP, they have your registrant info. So you aren't giving them something they don't already have by responding. Buyers are hard to find. Turning potential buyers away is something you should think about. many domain purchases start out with mild threats. If you decide to respond, be polite, direct and invite them to make an offer if they want to. Don't put the first number in play. Good luck!

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I spoke to people at Godaddy.com, Wild West Domains, 3ix and DomainRightNow and there has been a mistake by giving you an opportunity to register our registered domain.

That's fine. If the registrars made a mistake, the registrars can fix it, as stated in their respective terms of service. Thank you and have a pleasant day.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
John, are there any cases brought to the WIPO that involve domains that dropped? What recourse does the old owner have from any new registrar, when they failed to renew the domain?

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's fine. If the registrars made a mistake, the registrars can fix it, as stated in their respective terms of service. Thank you and have a pleasant day.

There.

If theres no tm problems, put it on sedo, send them a link. Let the market decide.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ignore the email. Looks spammy anyways. If you still have the email, view the complete email headers for more insight of who may have sent it - very possibly a ploy to get you to let the name go cheap to some scammer.

Stall as long as you can ... once you're 61+ days out from the date the domain was assigned to you by TDNam, transfer it out to another registrar; that often adds another layer of protection.

Ron

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
John, are there any cases brought to the WIPO that involve domains that dropped?

Oodles. It's a very common fact pattern.

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-1167.html

Respondent is not shown to have done any more than to register a generic domain name that was available for registration and use it in connection with goods which the domain name describes. . The record does not establish that Respondent had knowledge of Complainant or intended to disrupt its business.

Whilst the Panel is sympathetic to the plight of Complainant in light of the evidence in the record indicating that the disputed domain name was made available for registration after Complainant’s renewal payment apparently was paid and after Complainant was informed that its registration had been renewed, Respondent is not shown to have been responsible for that conduct. . The propriety of that conduct and the extent, if any, to which legal avenues outside the Policy may be available to address those circumstances are not issues this Panel is able to address under the Policy.

http://www.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/114434.htm

In this case, Complainant claims that Respondent has intentionally attempted to divert Internet users to competitors and that Respondent's registration of the disputed domain name capitalized on an error on Complainant's part in failing to renew registration of the domain name, which Complainant had originally registered in 1997. Respondent waits for domain names incorporating common words, generic terms, short terms and useful phrases to be released after their registration has lapsed. Then Respondent immediately registers those names and uses each of them to host a generic portal web site, presumably gaining revenue from banner advertisements and affiliate links. This activity has not been found to be bad faith registration or use under the UDRP unless the selection of the domain name and the manner in which it is used are related to its correspondence to Complainant's trademark. It has been held that a party is entitled to conduct a business of capturing generic domain names which become available in the marketplace, often through failure to renew registration. See Canned Foods Inc. v. Ult. Search Inc., FA 96320 (Nat. Arb. Forum Feb. 13, 2001); First American Funds v. Ult. Search, D2000-1840 (WIPO Apr. 20, 2001); GLB Services Interactivos S.A. v. Ultimate Search, Inc., D2002-0189 (WIPO May 29, 2002).

The fact pattern is so common, that it got to the point where I could file a response, wake up the next morning, and wonder what the domain name was.

Now... in circumstances where (a) the prior registrant had established a TM claim in the name, (b) the name is not otherwise a "dictionary word" being used in accordance with its primary meaning, and (c) the subsequent use by the new registrant is consistent with the TM claim, then the decision is going to go the other way.

However, when someone comes out of the box claiming there was a "mistake" or "error" on the part of the registrar, then refer them to their registrar's terms of service, which provide the registrar with the ability to correct mistakes (all of them do), and tell them to sort it out with their registrar, since you have no way of confirming said "mistake".

Quite often, you will not be hearing from the domain registrant, but will be hearing from an outside contractor responsible for their website, who has found himself between a rock and a hard place because he forgot to pay the bill.

be polite, direct and invite them to make an offer if they want to

...unless one genuinely has no interest in selling the domain name. Sometimes a response to a c&d is taken as an "invitation to deal", and the situation becomes something like a Pepe Le Pew cartoon.

D

dragonhawk

Hmm, guess I'll reply to them and ask them to take it up with the registrar as I have no way of confirming the "mistake". Think it's a good idea then to ask them to make an offer for the domain? I don't particularly want to hold on to a $15 domain that could cause me a lot of headaches.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They likely already have complained to the registrar and they didn't do anything.

It may have only cost you $15, but that doesn't mean it's a "$15 domain" ... it's obviously worth a lot more, at least to the person (scammer?) that's been emailing you.

Whether you reply or not is up to you and perhaps replying will work out fine ... but just keep in mind that anything you reply back with can potentially be used against you later...

Ie. if you reply back saying "I have no way of confirming the 'mistake'", you are in essance suggesting that a "mistake" did occur.

If you feel compelled to reply, I'd suggest replying back with something that's terse, and strictly factual ... ie. "It expired. I'm the registrant. Matter is closed.".

Ron

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a domain through tdnam and today

I get stuff through TDNAM and use GoDaddy exclusively. You can go to the TDNAM site and read the rules, but basically the deal is

TDNAM is GoDaddy's auction arm. In addition to being a venue for private sellers, GD uses it for a last attempt to auction a name regg'd with them before it is finally released back to the registry, hence the world, for anyone to reg.

So, if it is a GD regg'd name, there is a ten-day period after the auction closes during which the previous owner can still make restitution and get the name back.

If it's been ten days, and the name is now in your GD account--or in your account with another registrar--it's YOURS.

Ignore the email you received. Don't respond. Use the name.

WIPO is full of cases where the previous owner let a name drop and then tried to get it back. Even with trademarks, the panels rarely return the name if it's been dropped, as there is no bad faith registration. You snooze, you lose.

Steve

I should say: they snoozed, they lost.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WIPO is full of cases where the previous owner let a name drop and then tried to get it back. Even with trademarks, the panels rarely return the name if it's been dropped, as there is no bad faith registration. You snooze, you lose.

If the new use isn't in conflict with the previous owners' existing TM ;)

(a) the prior registrant had established a TM claim in the name, (b) the name is not otherwise a "dictionary word" being used in accordance with its primary meaning, and (c) the subsequent use by the new registrant is consistent with the TM claim, then the decision is going to go the other way.

I may be wrong but my guess is that mainly the generic phrases are the ones that aren't given back when the new owner uses it for its descriptive use, or a use differing from the original owners.

What I am confused about the mutineer () com case is that the new owner was using the domain (yes an otherwise generic, but the previous owner had developed TM rights from what I can tell) to divert traffic from their restaurant to others.

unless the selection of the domain name and the manner in which it is used are related to its correspondence to Complainant's trademark
Isn't that what the new owner was doing? Using the name to direct people to other competitors restaurants? Or, was the TM just a graphical mark?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
to divert traffic from their restaurant to others.

I don't recall there being any restaurants.

Complainant asserts that Respondent is directing visitors to competitors of Complainant, stating the visitors "will…be sent to a listing of competing restaurants", but does not provide a single example of a restaurant in competition with the Complainant to which such diversion is alleged to be occurring.

You are confusing the term "complainant claims" with what was actually in the evidence of the case.

They always claim diversion, whether its happening or not.

Mostly, as I recall, it was stuff relating to sailing.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Got it. Missed the part about there not actually being anything related to restaurants. Thanks for clearing that up. Makes more sense now.

But if there WAS, that could have swung the case right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom