Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

"Domain registration is being requested." <- What the * ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moniker

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I regged a .net at 1&1 and it's been saying that in its status for a few hours already. What does this mean and how long will it continue "to be requested"? Isn't registration supposed to be instantaneous?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well it's 1&1... do not expect good performance when it comes to domains.

moniker

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well it's 1&1... do not expect good performance when it comes to domains.

OK, I guess I just learned a lesson but just what are they doing with my domain during that time?!?!? Playing some checkers with it, romancing?

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

OMG, it's still "being requested"!!! About 12 hours later.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would go register the domain with a real registrar, because it must still be unregistered :p

moniker

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
O and to add insult to injury, it's still readily available at all other registrars. They didn't even bother to actually hit the .net registry with my registration (a nano-second). And to add insult to the insult, they told me on the phone it's usually 24-48 hours before they bother to actually submit a reg to the registry. I asked why I can register it immediately at other registrars immediately and they told me it's because their process is "very through" and they "need to verify everything".

Unbelievable. Isn't this against some kind of ICANN rules to abuse registrants like this? Or they're so big rules don't apply to them?

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

I'll admit it, I've been registering with them because of the price (and I wasn't domaining so I didn't even notice). $9.99 is a good price and they give you free privacy. But this is HELL. Any other real registrars that register your domain IMMEDIATELY AND IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE?

Donald Aquilano

DON.ME
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Next time do a little homework. 1&1 is the worst of the worst as far as registers go. I would just go reg the domain at Dynadot or Namecheap.

Did the payment to them go through?

steelrx

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
for a .net with reseller pricing if you are a domainer you can get it for about $6.50 at resell.biz, contact me if you want me to help you ;)

or, the best you can do is register the domain somewhere and then ask for a refund at 1and1

Last edited:

moniker

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Next time do a little homework. 1&1 is the worst of the worst as far as registers go. I would just go reg the domain at Dynadot or Namecheap.

Did the payment to them go through?

O yea, they had no problem taking my payment immediately. No problem there.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$9.99 is not a good domainer price.
Even though many registrars charge .net the same as .com they are less expensive.

This is what the registry (Verisign) charges registrars:
.com: $7.85
.net: $5.11

I would just use Dynadot or at least a real registrar.
Normally they should automatically refund you if the registration fails but hey it's 1&1.

1 & 1 = 0 don't you know :smilewinkgrin:

electronic

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Katherine, this may be off-topic, but, I am considering trying DynaDot.

What has been your experience with them?

Also, if anyone else has any input, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
David

electronic

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

moniker

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
$9.99 is not a good domainer price.
Even though many registrars charge .net the same as .com they are less expensive.

This is what the registry (Verisign) charges registrars:
.com: $7.85
.net: $5.11

Normally they should automatically refund you if the registration fails but hey it's 1&1.

1 & 1 = 0 don't you know :smilewinkgrin:

Awesome info, thanks!

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already, you should go elsewhere and register this name before it's taken. I wouldn't touch 1&1 with even my worst domains.

advermain

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never used 1&1 and thanks to this thread cause now I never will...lol

moniker

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
O by the way, just for experiment (as this name is not critical to me) - I'm letting them do their thing. Guess what? Still not regged. I guess they're going for 48 hours on this :)

On another note, I'm never registering another name with them and once I pick an alternative, will transfer all my names away from them. I believe they're doing this on purpose as they've always been using domains as a way to entice hosting purchases. So they make their domain business as painful as possible (besides the price) to discourage those who just want domains without hosting. This is OBVIOUSLY a business decision. So they'll get their wish with me. They'll get none of my business at all.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
O by the way, just for experiment (as this name is not critical to me) - I'm letting them do their thing. Guess what? Still not regged. I guess they're going for 48 hours on this :)

On another note, I'm never registering another name with them and once I pick an alternative, will transfer all my names away from them. I believe they're doing this on purpose as they've always been using domains as a way to entice hosting purchases. So they make their domain business as painful as possible (besides the price) to discourage those who just want domains without hosting. This is OBVIOUSLY a business decision. So they'll get their wish with me. They'll get none of my business at all.

I can't say I agree with that logic. Why would making a customer unhappy make them want to do more business with said company?

moniker

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Update: regged in about 48 hours.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1and1.com will bill you yearly even if the name was transferred away or dropped (unless you first cancelled their so called packsge, which package you will likely not even realize you had). Other weird things are if you have 100 names there you have 100 seperate packages (accounts) instead of one acct. Also, last time I checked they did not have a Whois feature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom