Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain sales of over $1k

Status
Not open for further replies.

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm wondering what method of payment you would suggest for domain sales over $1k (or so) in value?

PayPal is my favourite, although if the member isn't well-known it's probably not wise to use. That'd leave Escrow.com? The problem here is that it seems that the payment methods are only within the US (and I live in the UK) - or am I wrong here? Am I able to use Escrow.com, and if so, what would the payment method be?

Thanks,
Tristan

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm wondering what method of payment you would suggest for domain sales over $1k (or so) in value?

PayPal is my favourite, although if the member isn't well-known it's probably not wise to use. That'd leave Escrow.com? The problem here is that it seems that the payment methods are only within the US (and I live in the UK) - or am I wrong here? Am I able to use Escrow.com, and if so, what would the payment method be?

Thanks,
Tristan
You can use escrow internationally. There is a limit on the amount you can pay with using a credit card but you can also send a wire.

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I recently had a fairly large sale and used escrow.com. They were such a pleasure to work with and I'd recommend them.

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ah, good to hear that then :) Thanks a lot for the advice everyone.
Thanks,
Tristan

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
escrow.com is the safest. It may take a few extra days with exchanges from one currency to another and with credit card authorization.

But I have never had a hitch or a problem with escrow.com. So if it does involve different currencies and add in a CC, it will perhaps take 3-5 business days to all get approved and completed.

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Doc Com :)

So it's Escrow.com that handles the currency exchange, not the actual bank which will end up receiving the money? Or am I getting confused :p

Basically I live in the UK - hence I'm wondering whether I'd receive a cheque/wire transfer in USD (and then my bank would charge me extra for the exchange), or would Escrow.com exchange the money and end up paying me in sterling/GBP (£)?

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They will pay you in USD.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Doc Com :)

So it's Escrow.com that handles the currency exchange, not the actual bank which will end up receiving the money?

or would Escrow.com exchange the money and end up paying me in sterling/GBP (£)?
Yes to those statements.

I have had GBP and countless other currencies paid in USD to my account.

I am not sure of the fee they charge (or even if there is a charge for currency exchanges) as escrow.com is paid a fee for the service of using them.

Still, a hell of alot better and safer than PayPal and even some straight bank wire transfers that are scams.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Paypal if trusted upto a couple of k
Otherwise just a straight bank transfer.
Its cheaper & easier than escrow. Also banks are more answerable than escrow imho
Receiving a transfer via bank is free for moi
Its just how the Pred does it :yes: :cool:
Pm sent

wael

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, beware of scams involving buyers paying for domains via Western Union, MoneyGram, or cashier's check, especially if they request some complicated scheme where they will pay more than your asking price and you will refund a portion.

Whatever you do, beware of scams involving buyers paying for domains via Western Union, MoneyGram, or cashier's check, especially if they request some complicated scheme where they will pay more than your asking price and you will refund a portion.

wishmeluck

Gold Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is "otherwise just do a straight bank transfer".

What is this? A wire?

I've heard of things where even money wired in was somehow recalled due to not sufficient funds after the fact. I dont know how many days later. I'd like to confirm this. Seems totally unreasonable to me that banks can't do their job and guarantee the $ is there prior to authorizing the wire, but whatever. i'd like to here from a banker who understands the issues involved.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I live in Norway and I used Escrow.com just recently for a mid $x,xxx sale. No problems at all, got the money wired to my account the day after buyer approved the domain.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Only problem with getting a wire is giving out all your personl info and account numbers...for those with high security in mind..paypal is not a bad choice for deals up to a few G's from a verified account - I have done probably more than most using pp and never had an issue..just keep emails of pushes, transfers, etc and you will be fine. Also, make sure that whenever you use paypal, escrow, whatever...only push or transfer the domain name to the same email/details used in the payment to you, otherwise there is a loophole for people to claim they never got the domain name. Good luck..

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Only problem with getting a wire is giving out all your personl info and account numbers...for those with high security in mind..paypal is not a bad choice for deals up to a few G's from a verified account - I have done probably more than most using pp and never had an issue..just keep emails of pushes, transfers, etc and you will be fine. Also, make sure that whenever you use paypal, escrow, whatever...only push or transfer the domain name to the same email/details used in the payment to you, otherwise there is a loophole for people to claim they never got the domain name. Good luck..

But when you use Escrow.com , only Escrow.com gets to know your personal info/accounts numbers, right?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
right...but the other party will receive all your correct contact info and address, name, etc

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
right...but the other party will receive all your correct contact info and address, name, etc

True, but then again, I never hide my contact info from the domains I own so anyone can get that pretty easily. But yeah I do agree that paypal is an amazing way of paying for stuff. When I purchase stuff from online stores I really haven't heard much about, I always use PayPal. I'm not too fond of leaving my cc numbers at every cheezy website I visit .. ;)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
word up

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom