Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain Sales Strategy Question

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
If you have a small portfolio of exact (search) match domains around a popular topic, do you sell each domain individually?

Or, bundle and sell to one buyer positioning them to dominate search engine keywords and to keep competitors from having any of the domains?

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

exact match is vague, as some interpret differently than others
also, it always depends on the actual domains and each individual domains' value.

there are too many other factors to say either way.

imo...

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
Hi

exact match is vague, as some interpret differently than others
also, it always depends on the actual domains and each individual domains' value.

there are too many other factors to say either way.

imo...

Thank you, Biggie, exact match in this instance is what word(s) will users key in to search for this service. I have several of these domains.

I'm leaning towards a third option and that is to pitch as a joint venture and partner with one.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
exact match in this instance is what word(s) will users key in to search for this service.
Hi

if, users are already entering those keywords and you are not getting type-in traffic from them....
then they are not exact match.

also, when you "pitch", don't throw curve or fast balls.

imo.....

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
Hi

if, users are already entering those keywords and you are not getting type-in traffic from them....
then they are not exact match.

also, when you "pitch", don't throw curve or fast balls.

imo.....

Thanks Biggie, but with respect, you are making assumptions about the domains and pitch, when the purpose of my post is to have a discussion about sales strategy.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Biggie, but with respect, you are making assumptions about the domains and pitch, when the purpose of my post is to have a discussion about sales strategy.
Hi

initially, i said that "exact match" is vague.

and since everything else has been "vague" in respect to "specifics",
then all one can do is "assume" for the sake of conversation.

additionally, since "strategy" depends on the actual domains, then that unknown has to be known, to discuss best strategy for selling those particular domain names.

and... since you mentioned "pitch" then assumed it's not an incoming inquiry, but some entity you are considering soliciting.
in that scenario, the strategies are limited to how you contact them and what you say, period.
logically speaking of course.

i have sold several domains to the same person in a single transaction before but they were not all the same subject.

in that situation, you have to evaluate each name independently, then as a group and what it cost to replace similar names back in the portfolio

in instance where all names are basically same subject, then it's about which is most valuable, as the others may not be pertinent, but just throw ins for the buyer.

so, it depends on what's contained in the bundle and only you know that.

just saying...

imo...

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
Hi

initially, i said that "exact match" is vague.

and since everything else has been "vague" in respect to "specifics",
then all one can do is "assume" for the sake of conversation.

additionally, since "strategy" depends on the actual domains, then that unknown has to be known, to discuss best strategy for selling those particular domain names.

and... since you mentioned "pitch" then assumed it's not an incoming inquiry, but some entity you are considering soliciting.
in that scenario, the strategies are limited to how you contact them and what you say, period.
logically speaking of course.

i have sold several domains to the same person in a single transaction before but they were not all the same subject.

in that situation, you have to evaluate each name independently, then as a group and what it cost to replace similar names back in the portfolio

in instance where all names are basically same subject, then it's about which is most valuable, as the others may not be pertinent, but just throw ins for the buyer.

so, it depends on what's contained in the bundle and only you know that.

just saying...

imo...

Thank you, my ask was conceptual. I'd been thinking it through and was undecided, but writing it all out here helped me see the direction I will start with for these domains. I can always fall back on one of the other options.

My approach to domains is mostly outbound sales from a branding campaign perspective as my career expertise is in branding/marking/advertising. Everyone has their own domain strategy and this has worked for me. And, I like the creative/strategic challenge.

I have bought a few more trendy domain names, but I'm not passionate about those; the lesson is stick to what works for my personal style. = )

Thank you for your time and interest in discussing my question!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators