Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain Transfer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can a registrar to registrar domain transfer be completed close to the expiration date?

I initiated a transfer of a domain from Register.com to AddressCreation.com on Saturday (8/31). The domain expires on Friday (9/6).

What do you think are the chances that the transfer request fails? I'm a bit worried that I'm too close to the expiration date...

Thanks,
David

Register for the auction

AJB

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it is supposed to be done before 10 days of the expiration, it could be done though. Who knows.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have transfered names that expired within a week. This is probably something that is allowed per registrar.

I would renew domain now
after I renew than I transfer
transfer domain some time take over a week

With transfers away from Register.com, you always run the risk of a failure because you failed to authorize the transfer when the register.com email arrives.

Apparently their latest authentication email looks like a renewal notice. You then locate the link that takes you to the authorization page, and you have to scroll the page 10000 pixels to the right to find the authorization button.

We have a dozen of these transfers in process at the moment - all on their second or third attempt because the domain owner did not get the authentication mechanism correct...

If you end up renewing before transferring, remember that if you transfer away from your registrar within 45 days of a renewal you will most likely lose your renewal. The registrar is automatically credited by the registry when this happens - and they will not likely reverse this credit and pay for your renewal since you have left them...

-t

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They slip up sometimes and the transfer gets thru close to expiring .. cant tell till you try.

If it fails you can renew any time .. up to 60 Days or more sometimes .. with them.

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Never had a problem with Register.com transfers, including names that had already expired, but remained active during their grace period.

Just read the email carefully. The first link is for Register.com renewals and the second [lower] link is for transfer authorization.

quack :D

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had problems transferring TO Register.com (or to be more precise, NameBargain.com). Their queue is so messy that even names with more than 3 weeks to expiry are NOT successful. (And you could guess that I then have to renew it with NetSol for $35 a year.)

The most horrible part is: they re-initiated the failed transfer request 2 months later (after I renewed the names with NetSol). Can you believe this?

Well, more to your topic: registrar transfer depends on both the losing and winning parties. I have done successful transfer just ONE day before expiry. But then you'll have to make sure that the winning registrar is filing your request right away and you need to keep track of the losing registrar's reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom