Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain typos and the billion $$$ empire. Everybody is set to cash in on it.. Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Long live the typos.

Domain summit 2024

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Long live the typos.

The typos will always "live" in the sense that users will always make typographical errors.

The question is "what should happen when a typo occurs".

Understand, if the domain name is not registered, something happens.

So, let's say nobody on earth registered a typo domain name.

What happens depends on your browser, plug-ins, and/or your ISP.

If your ISP is Verizon, then when you type a non-existent domain name, Verizon will helpfully direct you to a search page, that will in turn lead to paid search links.

If your browser is Mozilla and you clicked "yes" to everything, you will go to Google search containing paid search ads. Mozilla makes tens of millions of dollars per year from this.

If your browser is Explorer and you clicked "yes" to everything, you will go to MSN Live Search, containing paid search ads.

If you have any number of plug-ins, your browser may be set to go to Yahoo, and you will get paid search ads.

Notice that three of the most aggressive companies going after mass typosquatters are Verizon, Microsoft and Yahoo.

Notice that each of these three companies stands to benefit financially from the elimination of typo-squatted domain names in ways having absolutely nothing to do with protecting their trademarks.

It's quite a remarkable coincidence.

It reminds me of the scene near the end of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" in which Spencer Tracy plays the part of a policeman who is watching a group of people trying to find hidden money from an old bank robbery. After they find the money, he tells them that they need to go report themselves to the police station, and then he runs off with the money.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So if I am to read between the line's John, what you are saying is why not register them yourself because if not you Yahoo, MS and Verizon will.

j/k of course but not really. ;)

I ment to say ...

So if I am to read between the line's John, what you are saying is why not register them yourself and profit because if not you, Yahoo, MS and Verizon will .

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The typos will always "live" in the sense that users will always make typographical errors.

If your ISP is Verizon, then when you type a non-existent domain name, Verizon will helpfully direct you to a search page, that will in turn lead to paid search links.

If your browser is Mozilla and you clicked "yes" to everything, you will go to Google search containing paid search ads. Mozilla makes tens of millions of dollars per year from this.

If your browser is Explorer and you clicked "yes" to everything, you will go to MSN Live Search, containing paid search ads.

If you have any number of plug-ins, your browser may be set to go to Yahoo, and you will get paid search ads.

Notice that three of the most aggressive companies going after mass typosquatters are Verizon, Microsoft and Yahoo.

Notice that each of these three companies stands to benefit financially from the elimination of typo-squatted domain names in ways having absolutely nothing to do with protecting their trademarks.

It reminds me of the scene near the end of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" in which Spencer Tracy plays the part of a policeman who is watching a group of people trying to find hidden money from an old bank robbery. After they find the money, he tells them that they need to go report themselves to the police station, and then he runs off with the money.

Very interesting point of view.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

for those companies you mentioned, it just means "mo money" "mo money".

it seems no big company has ethics anymore

greed is a mother!

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So if I am to read between the line's John, what you are saying is why not register them yourself because if not you Yahoo, MS and Verizon will.

Please go back a few posts and read what I wrote.

Registering trademark typos for profit is unlawful and will expose you to a mountain of liability.

I do not suggest that you rob banks. Bank robbery is a crime. You will go to jail. You should not rob banks.

Now I guess if I point out that people are robbing banks, you will take this as some sort of suggestion of "If you don't rob banks, then other people will. So you might as well rob banks."

What kind of reasoning is that?

I do not rob banks. I do not torture animals. I do not kidnap children. There is a long list of wrong things I do not do. Please note for future reference that I realize there are people who do these things. My observation of that fact is not a suggestion that you should do them.

It is simply worth noting that Verizon wants to eliminate bank robbers because those bank robbers are impeding Verizon's ability to rob the same bank.

JacksonProduction

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hmmmnn... So registering the domainname "vbkbank.com" and trying to sell it to VBK (yes indeed that's a bank) isn't a good idea??
I mean they could sue me and take the domain from me right?
Please respond, I would like to be sure about this.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please go back a few posts and read what I wrote.

Registering trademark typos for profit is unlawful and will expose you to a mountain of liability.

I do not suggest that you rob banks. Bank robbery is a crime. You will go to jail. You should not rob banks.

Now I guess if I point out that people are robbing banks, you will take this as some sort of suggestion of "If you don't rob banks, then other people will. So you might as well rob banks."

What kind of reasoning is that?

I do not rob banks. I do not torture animals. I do not kidnap children. There is a long list of wrong things I do not do. Please note for future reference that I realize there are people who do these things. My observation of that fact is not a suggestion that you should do them.

It is simply worth noting that Verizon wants to eliminate bank robbers because those bank robbers are impeding Verizon's ability to rob the same bank.

John.... I was joking. :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmmnn... So registering the domainname "vbkbank.com" and trying to sell it to VBK (yes indeed that's a bank) isn't a good idea??
I mean they could sue me and take the domain from me right?
Please respond, I would like to be sure about this.

registering that name for that explicit purpose, would show bad faith on your part.

which would be reason enough to get it taken.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So registering the domainname "vbkbank.com" and trying to sell it to VBK (yes indeed that's a bank) isn't a good idea??

Welcome to DNForum.

Oy.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If there is one thing I know for sure that Mike is extremely good at it is his ability to start amazingly long threads with huge content long and controversial starting posts such as this one, and others. I have even seem some of his threads at other boards go as long as 13 pages. It is possible this one may even break that record :clap2:

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If there is one thing I know for sure that Mike is extremely good at it is his ability to start amazingly long threads with huge content long and controversial starting posts such as this one, and others. I have even seem some of his threads at other boards go as long as 13 pages. It is possible this one may even break that record :clap2:

The thread is not long so many pages because that spammer start it.
Realize the truth and move on.

**** other boards.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
carter, who are you...... besides the forum yes-man.

i have yet to hear you state an original thought.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I'm a simple guy that hate spammers.
Tomorrow you can try to post the same arguments here...mods ban you.

Why a guy spam his site every 3 days continue to post???

Said this, John Berryhill make the perfect point.

I'm the guy that want work don't read these spammers threads.

Are you ok with this???

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
for those companies you mentioned, it just means "mo money" "mo money".

it seems no big company has ethics anymore

greed is a mother!

We have a lot of that in our industry as well. :yes:

:lol: :lol2: :lol:

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol... i just see you commenting on anything and everything like you want to be accepted into some sort of "dnforum crew"

geezus.. stop parroting useless crap. i got word from the cool kids that you have been accepted into their gang, you can stop trying now.

^ that was to Carter.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol... i just see you commenting on anything and everything like you want to be accepted into some sort of "dnforum crew"

geezus.. stop parroting useless crap. i got word from the cool kids that you have been accepted into their gang, you can stop trying now.

^ that was to Carter.

Sure!
Figlio di troia fallito :D

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
geezus.. stop parroting useless crap.

He's participating in this forum using a second language man. Cut him a little slack. I try from time to time to hit the Polish boards, it can be rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators