Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

domainsite.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is the news. From 9/5 2AM to approximately 9/6 2AM (almost exactly 24 hours) our DNS servers experienced a DDOS attack. I'm not sure if it is related to the .INFO special or not but it was highly annoying. We are still experiencing degraded service from time to time but we are getting the situation under control. Myself and the CEO were at the data center all day yesterday trying to get the situation resolved. We have 4 DNS servers, 3 of which reside on the same network. It was these 3 that were causing the problem, the combined traffic from them was exceeding our alloted bandwidth (which is a lot). We isolated the DNS servers on a different segment of the network so the traffic to those should no longer be an issue.

This free .INFO thing has generated way more interest then we ever expected and maybe it also attracted some negative attention.

As a side not, I pray that other registrars start offering free .INFO domain names to take the load off of us. Degraded performance (or no performance) due to giving things away is not what I call a good thing. :)

owen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
Why is Owen suddenly so silent on all of this and why his site has been down so long but was vocal a few days ago when he was promoting it?

Sadly, I can't spend all day on forums. I wish I could, but even then I would rather be fishing or something else a little more enjoyable. When I am on line and not busy working, I post. When I don't have the time, I don't. In this situation, I felt getting our servers back on line was more worthwhile than posting on the forum.

The reason I was so vocal right after posting the special was too clear up any confusion and to answer any questions. The reason I wasn't while we were having server issues was because I was dealing with server issues.

Hopefully these answers are satisfactory because my sole purpose in life is to please. :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
owen said:
Here is the news. From 9/5 2AM to approximately 9/6 2AM (almost exactly 24 hours) our DNS servers experienced a DDOS attack. I'm not sure if it is related to the .INFO special or not but it was highly annoying.
...... I would rather be fishing or something else a little more enjoyable.

That is exactly what I suspected Owen and mentioned in an early post. Could have even been from a competitor since you have been so successful with the info promo. It is unfortunate that can happen. Glad to see the site back online and I now see why you were not posting here of late dealing with it.

What!! I can't believe you would rather be fishing than at DNF, many of us live here and come here before anything else in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom