Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Dotster named in massive cybersquatting suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Moving to Panama or Kenya could help. But that's after they do whatever they
can to fix this first. :-D

MrGoodhost

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice Post. Why I'm getting out of this biz. Makes Generic's that much more valuable. I've been getting C&D's. Thanks to Big Brother. I'm losing my mind, as much as my hair.

But - let me vent.
We've created a 'free enterprise' society, but you implement 'a' law and then you create controversy. Some claim free speech and rightful owner if they register a domain before someone else. Law can be used right and wrong, some will then use the law to strong arm, bully and find loop holes.

A Free Uniformed Act of Declaration of who got there first. You own smith.com, i want to register smiths.com or asmith.com - does that give you proprietary rights on asmith.com or smiths.com - 'No'.

But judge for oneself - justifying a name, shouldn't classify a right to the whole dictionary or encylopedia of words. If your given a name, be prepared to protect it on your own good will and register every name there is that may or may not resemble it to protect yourself or your name or your company.

Let's hawke over the names and see if someone registers it, then go after them. hehe or 'heck' they just registered a good name, why didn't we think of it, - let's go after them.

This will never end. blah blah blah.

Now I'm mindless, frustrated, and on a rant. (Please forgive me.)

http://mustangmonthly.com/thehistoryof/mump_0606_hoofbeats_ford_protecting_mustang_trademark/

Maybe F O R D can hang out too.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pardon for bumping up an old thread, but I found this tidbit that might suggest
this dispute's "conclusion":

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070219/ap_on_hi_te/web_address_sampling_3

The department store chain Neiman Marcus Group Inc. even filed a federal lawsuit last year accusing the registration company Dotster Inc. of tasting hundreds of names meant to lure Internet users who mistype Web addresses. At one point, the lawsuit said, the misspelled NeimuMarcus.com featured ads for Target, Nordstrom and other rivals.

David Steele, an attorney representing the retailer, said Neiman Marcus could have placed ads on those sites as well, but "should Neiman Marcus have to pay ... for directing people back to their Web site?"

The two parties recently agreed to settle, though Steele said details won't be announced until at least this week (Dotster declined comment). He said his law firm, Christie, Parker & Hale LLP, also was preparing litigation against other tasters.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dang - I was hoping that they would put this enemy of domainers (Dotster) out of business completely, and end their whois search monitoring.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dang - I was hoping that they would put this enemy of domainers (Dotster) out of business completely, and end their whois search monitoring.

Everything in business is a cost/benefit analysis. I probably spend half my time telling people that legal disputes are not emotional issues.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I usually register 100+ "John Berryhill" domains a day; only to realize that there can only be one :D

NYdomainer

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Dotster wouldn't release or transfer my premium names for 6 months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom