Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Dotster speaks out against WLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Definitely too little too late from Dotster. Where were they like six months ago? If they really want to slow down the WLS train they are gonna have to move faster and harder than this!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Domain Once WLS is activated, I would think that most speculators will see if any domain names within their portfolio now appear on the wait list. If so, they can update their whois data with (this name for sale) Poof! Instant buyer if you can encourage them to buy direct instead of waiting. Then again if the big V has their way, you wont be able to transfer a name unless they process it for you and charge you a fee of course. ;)

An excellent point you made here. If you see there is a WLS on your name you not only have an instant buyer but also know your name is valuable too, perhaps for a lot more money than the small WLS fee.

This is a great advantage to WLS and is a new reason I am strongly in favor of WLS. In fact, with that benefit alone it should make most everyone here a supporter of WLS ;)

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>If you see there is a WLS on your name you not only have an instant buyer but also know your name is valuable too, perhaps for a lot more money than the small WLS fee.

That's nothing new guys - I already use SnapNames for this purpose. Just enter a list of up to 100 of your names which are almost due to expire, in the 'Search Multiple Names' facility and you will see in an instant which names others are after.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Too bad you can't contact the snapback holder directly. Otherwise you have to hope that the snapback holder is aware that you are looking to sell the domain.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If a SnapBack holder sees that a name has just been renewed but he's definitely still interested in the name, you just have to make sure when that person types in your domain name and sees where it takes him, that he finds an indication that you are willing to sell.

Willing buyer, willing seller, good deal.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz >>If you see there is a WLS on your name you not only have an instant buyer but also know your name is valuable too, perhaps for a lot more money than the small WLS fee. That's nothing new guys - I already use SnapNames for this purpose. Just enter a list of up to 100 of your names which are almost due to expire, in the 'Search Multiple Names' facility and you will see in an instant which names others are after.

Correct to a degree but WLS should be a zillion times more commonly used and popular than SnapNames.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
exactly! what i was trying to say ...

M

mole

Wait a minutem guys. I thought that WLS only applies to names that have already expired?

Read it somewhere, too lazy to reaffirm.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Wait a minutem guys. I thought that WLS only applies to names that have already expired?

the level of knowledge of WLS supporters lol

M

mole

Serious, uncle.

I saw it somewhere. I read hundreds of threads a day.

If it was true, then you anti-WLS supporters are not just stewed, you are atomoized :D Welcome to the new internet :D

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

Read it somewhere, too lazy to reaffirm.

If thats true then Verisign would be losing a lot of revenue for those willing to speculate about the non-renewal of a name well ahead of time. Seems like they would think that through a little better. Anyone else know for sure?

M

mole

Remember, ICANN has just approved an official 45 days grace period for expired domains. Wonder why ? :D

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by uncle

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wait a minute guys. I thought that WLS only applies to names that have already expired?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the level of knowledge of WLS supporters lol

From the part two paper http://www.snapnames.com/wls.html

On page 4, paragraph 3: "It will do so by allowing back-orders to be taken on domain names prior to their expiration." (The word prior is underlined in the original text.)

If WLS only applied to expired names, the market would be much smaller, and VeriSnap wouldn't be projecting the multimillion dollar figures that are floating around.

BTW, the posting volume at the ICANN forum has AGAIN exploded over the past few days, mostly anti-WLS.

BD :D

WLS is being marketted as "insurance" for your own names so that they don't ever accidently drop because you forgot to renew them. Besides, what would the point of a dropped name service be if it only applied to names that had already dropped...

As for the grace period that ICANN just passed, it gives the domain holder 30 days to renew his domain post DELETE if it was deleted in error.

Here's the text
Any "delete" of a domain name (whether inside or outside of any applicable grace period) will result in a 30-day Deleted Name Redemption Grace Period. This grace period will allow the domain name registrant, registrar, and/or registry time to detect and correct any mistaken deletions.

During this 30-day period, the deleted name will be placed on REGISTRY-HOLD, which will cause the name to be removed from the zone. (The domain name therefore will not function/resolve.) This feature will help ensure notice to the registrant that the name is subject to deletion at the end of the Redemption Grace Period, even if the contact data the registrar has for the registrant is no longer accurate.

During the Redemption Grace Period, registrants could redeem their registrations through registrars. Registrars would be able to redeem the name in the registry for the original registrant by paying renewal fees, plus a service charge, to the registry operator. Any party requesting redemption would be required to prove its identity as the original registrant of the name.
-t

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom