Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Down with Appraisals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who feels that we need to just do away with the appraisal sections?

This is unquestionably one of the most abused, non-sensical, and spam derived sections on DNF.

Each and every time I offer an appraisal the spam begins. I have received countless spams because I had appraised something,

Or, along comes another buffoon to start posting what names he/she has that is similar :)laugh:) to the name,

Or, I then have members PM'ing me to give my thoughts on their name,

Or, I get PM's wanting me to get in their thread to bump it or whatever.

Or, there are too many people who are asking for appraisals on a name that is currently at auction and they do not own it,

Or, there are too many people who submit the most asinine names for appraisal who for DAYS get no response (which should tell them every thing they need to know about the domain) and bump and bump and bump their own thread,

Or, there are so many differing opinions on a name that often times (WAY too often, imo) gets the thread so off track that spats and name calling starts (which is, at times, entertaining :popcorn::beer::cheers:)

Or, am I the only one who sees this?

Upvote 0

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree.
When I was new to the forum I posted a couple of appraisal threads, quite useless, and I don't think I've done that since the first month or two.
Very seldom do I offer my own appraisals - and then only when it's a domain I can relate to, have experience of one way or another. Not often at all.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Appraisal threads serve their purpose; that of gauging a domain's appeal among domainers. Although valuation methods differ as much as opinions, there are ways to extract valuable feedback from such appraisals.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do you see what i see.... do you feel what i feel (remember that tune)

you are not alone :)

no one ever asked me to bump their thread but a few have sent me links to the domain once they put it on sale....like i was interested in buying it.

i would say most of the posters there really do seek genuine imput and sometimes they may feel ignored when no one posts a reply

that's why the bumps

we/you/us often label names as crap and then again we/you/us all know that one's man crap can be another's gold.

but every now and then some good domains do come up for appraisal, so we just have to deal with both sides. :)

i'd still rather they post here in hopes that a human will respond, rather than choosing automated appraisals.

imo...

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As annoying as the section is, I would guess that it is one of the main sections that bring in new members to the forum? While it may be aggravating to read them, it may be a bad thing for revenue to eliminate them.

I really enjoy the threads where the person that asks for an appraisal attacks all the "stupid" people who appraised the name lower than they wanted to hear, or lower than what they paid for it.

All of the bashing and whining is why most posts don't get a lot of appraisal responses.

So, while I wouldn't miss the section, I doubt it is leaving anytime soon.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Monetary figures by themselves offer little assistance to those who ask for an appraisal. The most useful comments are those that offer a breakdown of the appraisal, giving reasons why a domain might be worth $xx or $xxx,xxx - often with suggestions about how to best develop or monetize it. In other words, appraisal threads often serve as mini brainstorming sessions; to have a "brainstorm" one needs several brains as one is not enough :D

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO I like the appraisal sections but I think it could be a lot more valuable if people put in WHY they think the domain has a value (recent sales, keyword combination, they have a .com and the .net is a successful site) etc..

BUT --- in no way should the appraisal section be used to sell or promote the sale of a domain. If you post an appraisal and they send you a solicitation to sale (unless you posted that you were looking for that kind of a domain in the wanted section) - that is PM spam. Feel free to report it. ;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As annoying as the section is, I would guess that it is one of the main sections that bring in new members to the forum?
Good point.

i'd still rather they post here in hopes that a human will respond, rather than choosing automated appraisals.

imo...
Agree...the machine automated responses are bunk.

Even Sedo, which you pay a premium for a "hand appraised" one are bunk. A good bud of mine had his domain appraised, regged since 93 - 95, and a Sedo hand appraisal was for 5K. I won't disclose the name, but it is the name of his business, a 5 letter dictionary word that the same name recognition and meaning in any language. He was just curious and wanted to know what it was worth after he got an offer for $50K.

BUT --- in no way should the appraisal section be used to sell or promote the sale of a domain. If you post an appraisal and they send you a solicitation to sale (unless you posted that you were looking for that kind of a domain in the wanted section) - that is PM spam. Feel free to report it. ;)
Perhaps you recall (as it was not too long ago) a member started asking for appraisals and before that thread was far from being over he had started a sales/auction thread at the same time.

So concurrently running threads - one for appraisal and the other for a sale at the same time. That was somewhat annoying and, imo, was taking advantage of the forum and its members who posted.

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I came back to dnforum and upgraded my membership so I could mainly list my names for sale but also to get some advice from experienced domainers.

I probably should have read the rules closer as I have have 2 of my domain threads closed as I asked more than once for an appraisal (serves me right) although I must admit I am feeling rather frustrated at the lack of not just decent appraisals but any appraisal at all, a few kind worded threads have not received a single response.

I think it would be a shame to get rid of the section as it encourages anyone wanting to get into this game to join a forum such as this.

Even though I have only managed to sell a couple of domains myself, I still like to offer my own constructive opinion on threads. As has already been mentioned, probably a bit of a pity that more threads aren't very constructive as it would greatly benefit the forum and all of its users.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you recall (as it was not too long ago) a member started asking for appraisals and before that thread was far from being over he had started a sales/auction thread at the same time.

So concurrently running threads - one for appraisal and the other for a sale at the same time. That was somewhat annoying and, imo, was taking advantage of the forum and its members who posted.

Which is against the rules now. :)

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Appraisals should stay, although most members do not participate in the appraisal forum.

If someone posts a domain for sale they are forbidden to get other's thoughts on the domain's value? lol

I propose a new rule: anyone who posts an appraisal has to wait a year before they can post the domain for sale. lol

Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Just because a section has a few flaws is no reason to get rid of it... The benefit it serves to members far out weighs the annoyances posted by the OP.

I gave plenty of appraisals and opinions and have not experienced what the OP posted to a degree that it bothered me, I do receive PM's from members, mostly newbies who ask my opinion, and I gladly give it every time.... I'm always happy to help a fellow domainer, That's one of the reasons were here for isn't it?

If your bothered by SPAM, PM's and the quality of domains posted, DON'T VISIT THE SECTION... Nobody is forcing you to.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Appraisals should stay, although most members do not participate in the appraisal forum.

If someone posts a domain for sale they are forbidden to get other's thoughts on the domain's value? lol

I propose a new rule: anyone who posts an appraisal has to wait a year before they can post the domain for sale. lol
While he was asking for an appraisal he had posted the name for sale at the same time with a minimum offer.

Two threads,
running at the same time,
both on the same name,
one for appraisal of it and
one accepting offers ABOVE a minimum he had set
based on the ongoing appraisal thread.

Doc

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Having asked for appraisal and a couple of days after that posting domain for sale is fine. But bumping an appraisal thread at time of sale is a big NO-NO !

sometimes mediocre domains are undervalued (even NIL) in appraisal section , category killer names of course get their due recognition (mostly) although many a times they don't get much response .Not getting a response does not mean that domain is totally worthless ( the least one can do with the domain is recover the reg fee ) Many names which feel crap to one may look like a pot of gold to another .

Appraisals in a way help analyze the forum marketplace response ( not to mention the occasional sales when guests reading the appraisal thread - go and offer on Sedo etc. )

Of course not owning a name and asking for appraisal is downright wrong.(as bad as fake whois - regular sales b/w members still ocurring - Either they don't care or are totally ignorant) .
Just my thoughts

DNBA

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
just ignore it. i do

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While he was asking for an appraisal he had posted the name for sale at the same time with a minimum offer.

Two threads,
running at the same time,
both on the same name,
one for appraisal of it and
one accepting offers ABOVE a minimum he had set
based on the ongoing appraisal thread.

Having an active sale and an active appraisal thread is against the rules - it's called spamming. If you see someone doing this feel free to report the post(s) and we'll deal with it.:boom:

People also need to know how to use the appraisals since it can be extremely subjective. Not only will the price vary (rarely can you give a true dollar figure to a value, unless it is reg fee or $0) but a domain's value will vary from person to person based on opinion and needs.

chrisb72

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Did you just start a thread to tell about how stupid the appraisal section is? Time to start one now about how the thread stating "how stupid the appraisal section is" is so stupid.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You mean abuse of the appraisal section like THIS?

http://www.dnforum.com/f4/lovers-info-thread-382557.html

1) Note how the OP is upset that I mention he bought it THAT DAY at a public auction, so he already knows the value and has no interest in an appraisal and

2) Note the same domain listed at auction in his sig.

A classic example of inappropriate use of the appraisal section.

keyword

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have said this until im blue in the face, a Domain is only worth what someone wants to pay for it !!!

Personally I feel domain appraisals are worthless and paying for one well that's just a joke and the only people making money off your domains are the people selling these worthless appraisals in the first place

just my opinion but im entitled to it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom