Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Dreamhost? Know anyone inside? Help needed urgently + Reward !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In that case Tom I am one step ahead already because I do have their number.
DG

While I understand the desire to help (I get that at times, too), don't expect
Dreamhost to give any information to third parties other than their standard
replies for issues like this. Next best thing might be to give tomclownes their
number instead and let him take it up with them.

If those files are that important to you, tom, you ought to exhaust all means
of communication with them, including phone. However, Dreamhost reserves
the right not to further communicate with you.

Just telling you things to expect.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any help which leads to a resolution will get a significant reward. I want my scripts :) !
If you are asking for some insider help here, at least do NOT offer material rewards!

I DO know somebody there (DreamHost). However, I can't find any reason to help out (so please DO NOT contact me). You spammed, and THAT's your prize, sorry, I mean price. It's NOT about how easy or hard it is for them to let you do that, because they SHOULDN'T.

I am good at this type of thing. Im in the UK. If I manage to get them for you will you do a website for me (i.e. build one ). ?.
Sorry, but what are you good at again?

They should not be holding your code hostage in my opinion.
No, they are NOT holding his code hostage.

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are asking for some insider help here, at least do NOT offer material rewards!

I DO know somebody there (DreamHost). However, I can't find any reason to help out (so please DO NOT contact me). You spammed, and THAT's your prize, sorry, I mean price. It's NOT about how easy or hard it is for them to let you do that, because they SHOULDN'T.

Sorry, but what are you good at again?

No, they are NOT holding his code hostage.

Yes they are holding my code hostage! They did not write it.
They wont return it, thus I define that as being taken hostage.

I can offer material rewards if I want to. Give me one reason why not to. I need my scripts. I am not going to give up. If someone can help me they deserve a reward of some sort.

Yes I spammed, I have lost my dreamhost account, I am not trying to hide that fact, and obviously you havnt read my posts above.

Obviously it would be great if you do know someone at dreamhost who could help me out, but dont try and make the focus of this matter on you. You either help or you get lost. Got it.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You either help or you get lost. Got it.
Sure, that's about how well you deserve any help; and I guess others who are browsing this will have their minds made up now, if not earlier.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I feel I deserve help

Others feel differently and are as entitled to express their opinions as you are entitled to request help.

Objectively, anyone with a friendly relationship with DreamHost is unlikely to contact them and ask "I'm trying to get some help for my buddy the spammer that you banned".

Some people feel very strongly about spam, and are going to believe that your predicament is well deserved. There is nothing you can do about that and "Help me or get lost" is not a constructive posture.

Whether you "deserve" help is clearly not a question on which you can be objective. Perhaps the point of someone suggesting you are not "entitled" to receive help is driving at a larger question of your feelings of personal entitlement, such as that which led you to believe you were entitled to send unsolicited commercial emails in the first instance. If that is the case, then failing to come to grips with what might be larger character flaw is not going to serve you well in the long run.

This is life. I have had any number of wonderful and terrible things happen to me which I may or may not have "deserved" at any given time.

I agree that it sucks to have lost your code. DreamHosts actions have been entirely appropriate.

I see so much bizarre crap in the course of a day, that I don't have any strong feelings about this one way or the other, but I do hope you have learned a valuable lesson.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had any number of wonderful and terrible things happen to me which I may or may not have "deserved" at any given time.

On review, that statement needs further qualification.

There are three kinds of people:

(a) those that make things happen,

(b) those that have things happen to them,

(c) those that wonder what happened.

To the extent that life consists to some degree of cards dealt, and they are not always dealt according to various definitions of "fair", one must be able to take responsibility for how one plays them, and to recognize one's willful contribution to the ultimate outcome thereof.

If one believes that one's life consists mostly of a sequence of things that "happen to them", then one is probably not appreciating one's own contribution to those happenings, and is likely to continue to bounce along at random.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I understand the frustration, however my question is: why did you trust your only copy of the code on a leased server? By contract, you don't own that space and since you broke certain rules, they now reclaim that space.

There are three kinds of people:

(a) those that make things happen,

(b) those that have things happen to them,

(c) those that wonder what happened.

I like it :D

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the further replies guys.

This whole experience has been a learning experience as far as keeping regular backups, reading T and Cs carefully, watching what you do, and choosing the companies you deal with wisely.

Maybe at this point I am fighting a losing battle. By the looks of it I do not have much of a legal standing as such.

I thus want to take this time to express my gratitude to those who have expressed their opinions, and spent there time in this thread as such.

The problem with this is the code is very unique, and took me a long time to make. It isnt really a case of me being able to rewrite it. Thus I will not give up. This is not me disrespecting the opinions of the above, and in many respects I deserve my situation, but I am very stubborn and will perservere. There is evidence of others suceeding in similar cases, so I may as well try.

Thanks again guys
Tom

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nobody is upset about your determination to get your code back.

I mean, yes, I'll never forget the time I got caught screwing my best friend's wife and he kicked me out of his house and told me never to come back. Now, I had left the only copy of a manuscript for a novel I was working on under their bed. He wouldn't let me back in to retrieve it. It was a great novel, and would have been a best seller.

So, instead, I had to become a lawyer.

Sigh.

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nobody is upset about your determination to get your code back.

I mean, yes, I'll never forget the time I got caught screwing my best friend's wife and he kicked me out of his house and told me never to come back. Now, I had left the only copy of a manuscript for a novel I was working on under their bed. He wouldn't let me back in to retrieve it. It was a great novel, and would have been a best seller.

So, instead, I had to become a lawyer.

Sigh.

Lol :) Thanks for the help John

Update: I received a reply from Jeff at dreamhost saying my files had been purged from dreamhosts servers anyway. I sent an email back, but havnt received a confirmation of reciept autoreply yet, so not usre if it has gone through...
It doesnt seem logical that dreamhost would purge all files in such a small time frame (3 weeks). What if I really was mounting an awesome legal attack? Then they'd be in trouble.

Anyhow Jeff seems like a nice guy, so hopefully they will have something and we can sort it out.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
John, that's the actual plot of your story, correct? A bootstrapping kind of plot ;)
Your pen name wasn't [SIZE=-1]Gene Roddenberry was it? :D
[/SIZE]

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Roddenberry stole several Star Trek episodes from me.

What if I really was mounting an awesome legal attack?

Oh I hope you haven't taken the "I'm going to sue you" approach.

There is no awesome legal attack to be mounted here, and if they've been in the hosting business for any appreciable length of time, they know it, and they are threatened umpteen times a day.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Tom, for the life of me I don't understand why you didn't keep copies of your script on your home computer.

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Damn that sucks, keep emailing them...email the crap out of them....you got nothing to lose now

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom