Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

DreamVacation.com $750k-$1m reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodash

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The name DreamVacation.com has been accepted into the current TRAFFIC auction with a reserve of $750k-$1m reserve.

I'm at a loss to understand why there is such a high value being placed on this name and I was hoping someone can explain what the criteria is that got DreamVacation.com into the Live auction with such a huge reserve?

I'm at a loss to see how it can be so highly valued. It's a parked page, not a website, so people will be bidding on a name. It is not a pure generic name in the sense of vacation.com or vacationpackage.com. Although the name contains the highly sought after key word "vacation", the associated word "dream" means nothing except that the term "dream vacation" is a cliched saying (which in my mind would hardly account for it being expected to sell for $750k). The name has a Quantcast ranking of 1.3 million, based on traffic figures of less than 2000 visitors a month (and I suspect that's out of date because the name is now parked and Quantcast ranks websites, not parked pages). The Google search references are 3.6m, which is hardly earth shattering. And although the domain name currently appears as No.20 in the Google search results, that result will change once Googlebot discovers it's a parked page. The parked page does not have a Google PR ranking. And, there are no independent traffic figures given.

So what is the criteria that has prompted TRAFFIC to rate this name so highly?

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think this posting is mis categorized. The news section is for industry news that impacts our industry; not to question the value of one domain in one auction...

rodash

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, but before making this post I scoured the threads and was unable to find a thread for general industry discussion. Every thread I looked at ended up not seeming appropriate. I'm more than happy to have this post moved there, if such a thread exists.

In regards to this not being relevant to latest industry news, I have to disagree. The sale of a name like this, which is being put up for auction with a reserve price close to a million dollars, is news and I think it's important for discussion to occur so as to be able to understand how high-ticket domains are being defined and valued by auction companies. This is, after all, DNForum, which is short for Domain Name Forum, a forum primarily to do with domain names. If we can't discuss the thinking behind the sale of a very high-priced domain name then what is this forum really all about?

However, as I said, if this post can be moved elsewhere for the "right" kind of discussion to take place then I'm more than happy for that to be done. I just want to be able to use this forum as a place of learning, and of course I want to do so within the parameters that exist and not get people offside. So please, point me to the appropriate thread and tell me how to delete this post and I'll do the right thing.
Thank you.

:)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"dream vacation" is a common term at least in North America, meaning the vacation you would take if money is no object, the vacation of your dreams.

this could be made into a 'luxury vacation' type site, which means high paying customers. very brandable name. could target honeymooners or the increasing baby boomer population with a nice travel site.

I think if people saw advertising promoting travel to do with a dream vacation, and saw the url, they would go to the site just to see what's there. I don't know if the domain is worth 750k, or will even sell at this auction, but I can see some reasoning behind the price.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dreamlife.com sold for 171K at snapnames recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom