Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

DROA --fighting back

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems like DROA fills up my USPS mail box with junk mail every week.

They obviously mine the WhoIs and then spam the heck out of registrants with junk mail.

Is there anything we can do? How about forwarding all of these junk mails to ICANN in Marina Del Rey, CA? Would that accomplish anything?

:angry:

:angry:

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes.

File a separate suppport ticket for EACH and EVERY DROA notice you get with eNom. Cause them enough trouble, and they'll boot DROA. Let them continue to make money easily, they will continue.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They used to supply a business reply envelope (postage paid). One suggestion I saw was to fill it with rocks and drop it in the mail. After they switched to self-addressed, unstamped envelopes I saw the same suggestion -- now they'll get a bunch of mail "postage due".

I'm not recommending anyone do this, of course.

I've also read that their junk mail doesn't conform to postal regulations and that you may be able to complain to the post office that it's mail fraud.

Maybe you could get some tree-hugger environmentalists after them. :)

Beyond this, do what you do with the rest of your junk mail.

Redstone

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I get the Canadian version of those...they are definatly very annoying...I find it only happens with my domains I have registered with register.com, I have now been using WildWest and haven't received any for my domains registered with them...I wonder if they purchase a list from some registrars?

One suggestion I saw was to fill it with rocks and drop it in the mail. After they switched to self-addressed, unstamped envelopes I saw the same suggestion -- now they'll get a bunch of mail "postage due".

Now that's funny...if everyone did that I am sure those letters will stop pretty quick..:-D

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't even open them anymore. They go directly into my paper shredder :)

RMF

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I find it only happens with my domains I have registered with register.com"

That is because Register.com and Enom (DROA's patron and enabler) are involved in some sort of joint venture together.

For example, if you look at www.rcomexpress.com, you will find that while it is a Register.com webpage, it is hosted on Enom's IP block and is an Enom RegistryRocket Interface.

Also, if you look at Register.com's lawsuit against DROA, you will find that some time after the preliminary injunction issued, the case went away. This has the aroma of some sort of deal being reached among Register.com, Enom, and DROA.

I would not be surprised if these people were all in bed together in some manner.

Ovicide

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not being a devil's advocate, but I have never really understood how DROA harms people.

Maybe they've made some money from the mentally disadvantaged, but AOL has done that for years (and with support of trade press and mainstream media).

DROA has polluted my mailbox, but that's nothing new. From the start, I knew the DROA stuff was junk mail before opening the envelope(s).

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not being a devil's advocate, but I have never really understood how DROA harms people.
+++++++++++

Fair question.

Let me respond. If you get bunches of 10 letters every month, which fill up your mailbox.. it feels like harassment.

Ovicide

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
If you get bunches of 10 letters every month, which fill up your mailbox.. it feels like harassment.

K-Mart has put more pictures of Martha Stewart in my mailbox than DROA has sent junk renewal notices.

I just throw it all away. Never felt harassed, and still shop at K-Mart once in awhile.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I have never really understood how DROA harms people."

Cool. So, if you run a business, then you are perfectly fine with the idea of other people using deception to steal your customers?

Tucows resellers and other registrars lose a pile of money to these people. Also, the registrants are subsequently charged higher renewal fees than they had been paying prior to being slammed.

It is one thing for AOL to persuade people to overpay for dial-up internet access which they didn't have to begin with. It is quite another thing for MSN to pretend to send AOL subscribers a bill for switching them over to MSN.

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should pool our money together and buy DomainRegistryofAmerica.com which BuyDomains.com just regged on 2/06/04, we can then profit from their abundant mailings......

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just received 9 of the DROC (Canadian version) mailings today. They went straight into the recycling bin, without being opened. :party:

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
GeorgeK said:
I just received 9 of the DROC (Canadian version) mailings today. They went straight into the recycling bin, without being opened. :party:

I got 2 today...looks like they are stepping up their efforts

Ovicide

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Cool. So, if you run a business, then you are perfectly fine with the idea of other people using deception to steal your customers?

I'm not defending them, only kicking the ant hill a little to learn why they're unpopular here.

Tucows resellers and other registrars lose a pile of money to these people.

Does DROA make a pile of money? It's hard to imagine they'd make enough to pay for mailing the stuff.

Maybe they do make money. I saw the first of their mailings about three years ago, and they're still at it.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does DROA make a pile of money? It's hard to imagine they'd make enough to pay for mailing the stuff.

Maybe they do make money. I saw the first of their mailings about three years ago, and they're still at it.
++++++++++

As JB said, they have been accused of the domain equivalent of "slamming."

It all revolves around money. They MUST be making alot of money or they wouldn't be continueing with these mass mailings.

It's one great reason to avoid doing business with eNom.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it's just a matter of time before eNom kicks them. Sure they make $, but there will be a point when the $ just isn't worth it.

Lets make that sooner! :)

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom