Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

-=DTG=- Asks and Answers Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

Fair enough. I have no problem with your points 1-4. Just a problem with any attempt to suck the life out of the DNF atmosphere. If I wanted to sit around in a stuffy board meeting around the clock, I could just stay at work rather than come home in the evening and log on to DNF for more of the same.

Some people prefer the "Sam's Club" model, with big, ugly warehouses- no muzak, no frills. Other prefer to shop at Saks or Neimann Marcus, with plush carpet, gentle music playing and attractive sales people.

A little fluff for the sake of ambience never hurt anybody!

Personally, I buy my CAT food at 99 cent store. :razz:
WebCat

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Noooooo!! I won't come to any forum that doesn't let me have a penguin avatar :mad:

On the note of mass mailing the membership for news and updates, I think the vast majority of members won't mind this. Spam is only spam if it doesn't interest you, so just give them the option to turn it off if they wish. Then it's their problem if they miss out on info..

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke ......I'm in complete disagreement with Edwin on this one......

Good points you make Duke and very well said.

Perhaps the Avatars are not that bad after all and I should rethink my position in support of Edwin's stance on them as thanks to your excellent post :) I now see they have both pros and cons, though I would NEVER use one myself.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames
Perhaps the Avatars are not that bad after all and I should rethink my position in support of Edwin's stance on them as thanks to your excellent post :) I now see they have both pros and cons.

No need to rethink your position on avatars RN. No one will force you to have one. Some of them are a waste of space but some of them give you some insight into the individual's personality. I think it would be cool if everyone's avatar was their photo (I think Edwin actually does this) - you would feel like you know the person better and know who you are talking to. On the other hand, I have this underlying fear that if I saw some of the mug shots around here I would be running for the nearest exit! :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WebCat
Other prefer to shop at Saks or Neimann Marcus, with plush carpet, gentle music playing

Well, actually I prefer Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin, but I get your point. :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke .....I have this underlying fear that if I saw some of the mug shots around here I would be running for the nearest exit! :)

Mine in particular would send you running for sure :D but not Edwin's - a good looking guy.

P.S. I always thought that guy with the cape on was really you, are you saying that is not you Ron?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

Mine in particular would send you running for sure :D but not Edwin's - a good looking guy.

P.S. I always thought that guy with the cape on was really you, are you saying that is not you Ron?

No, I mentioned it once or twice before. That picture is from the album cover for Gene Chandler's Duke of Earl album. I got the nickname as a teenager because I was always singing "The Duke of Earl" (an R&B classic from the 60's).

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains

I was thinking the same thing. If the site is going to be down for a long period of time, an email may be better notification. There are people that have auctions running on the forum, with specific end times, and an outage may affect the sale. At least with an email, you can be sure they got the message.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Does that mean we're back to level now? :laugh: :laugh:

And by the way I'm against removing avatars, let's keep the atmosphere friendly and light - I'm with Duke and the others on that.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This thread only reminds me that I need to get a new Avatar. :sad:

The "mystic" izopod would like to upgrade to something a bit more contemporary. I'm open to any ideas...:D

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Beachie
Noooooo!! I won't come to any forum that doesn't let me have a penguin avatar :mad:
I'm with Beachie! Why... anyone who would even THINK about banishing that sweet little baby penguin.... it's just unspeakable!

Beachie.... no worries my friend! We will stand in support of your adorable little Penguin! :)

Save the Avatars! Save the Avatars!
WebCat ;)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod
This thread only reminds me that I need to get a new Avatar. :sad:

The "mystic" izopod would like to upgrade to something a bit more contemporary. I'm open to any ideas...:D

How about a DNJournal.com Logo? :D

Think about it. With the graphic element, Avatar marketing could be bigger than Signature marketing.

One other point on why avatars, glows, an entertaining atmosphere, etc. are anything BUT frivolous. It is common knowledge that in the real world, many (some say most) business deals get done on the golf course. DNF is our golf course. A lot of deals here are done on trust - because we've gotten to know the other person. The last thing you want to do is kill the atmosphere that has produced that trust and the unique friendships that have developed from just "hanging out" with each other.

dictionaryof

Longtime DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edwin said:
5) Out with frivolity, in with speed: get rid of glow (substitute colours or larger fonts, perhaps) and above all get rid of Avatars. I don't go to a trade show or conference to find that each participant is wearing a funny hat with their choice of cartoon character on it...

If all the above sounds too dull and dry, over the long term the changes will be ENTIRELY BENEFICIAL to this community as it grows more and more rapidly. The way to keep things on track and on purpose is to get rid of distractions - and to discourage those who feel they need such distractions from participating.

... in another post...

Basically "fluff" like glow, avatars and so on is needed at the first stage of an online community's development, where the key metric is how many people come back and how quickly traffic can be developed.

I would wholely disagree with this statement, as a few people have already done. I bother to reply for the good of the forum... and hopefully to help anyone else running a community.

As bolded, Community is the most important word here. All of the "fluff" is what makes a community. If you take personalities away from people; and remove the "fluff", there's not too much left to come back to day in and day out.

In a community, there is a spot light on personality.

There is half correctness to the statements only if the goal of this forum is to be changed to a business-only, stiff necked, shirt and tie kinda place to post and sell domains, then perhaps the fluff should go. If the goal is to become an afternic or even snapnames.com like service, then community has little to no place.

In his post, however, Edwin continues to refer to this site, overall, as a community. And, IMHO, to "get rid of distractions" is to get rid of... all together now... the community.

Now... Just to make sure to not lose his other points, as he specifically requested... :)

1) Remove all advertising (through multiple skins or similar) for Platinum members at least.

The problem being that the people who buy Platnimum memberships are about the only ones who would (probably) qualify to buy the products advertised. The rationale being that to buy from the advertisers here you need to a) be interested in domain names and b) have money. If you qualify as a & b, you most likely have a platinum account.

I think if advertising is to be removed, DCG will need to consider a significantly higher priced membership.

2) Make the Domain Names for Sale a non-bumpable forum... -snip- ... At the same time, raise the threads per day limit to 2 or 3 from the current 1

I would much rather keep the thread limit per day lower and keep the bumps in place. It's much easier to see a bump in the thread list; I am more apt to foolishly look at a new thread. The topic of thread ownership is much more revealed with limited threads.

IE, in all my time here, I have 3 threads I've nursed for a very long time. They're easy to pick out when I update (aka bump) them. On the other hand, if I started these 3 threads a new each day... well, that would mean I'd have created some 180 threads in my time here... instead of just 3.

3) ENFORCE THE RULES. It's as simple as that. If a rule says "No comments in sales threads" then kick out those that break the rules. This isn't a social club - it is (or at least, it should be) a place where serious businesspeople can transact business.

Much easier said than done. Especially in a forum like environment. BTW; refering to my started on community, this is, somewhat, a social club. ;-)

Hope something in there helps someone... somewhere.

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After reading all these threads I get the feeling that everyone is walking on eggshells around here. Especialy the moderators. I understand with the departure of Gregr and the leaving of Popper, that this drives some uncertainty and almost a cover your ass type of mentality with the new leadership.

I believe the changes so far to date are driven from proactive management, and that this is an important time to shine from a moderator standpoint. I also believe changes are being implemented from these threads.

Avatars, Glow and DNF bucks for that matter are immaterial to even mention at this point, with other major changes down the line I project. It is also important to read between the lines. The discussion should be more directed to the overall business direction / strategy, than immaterial stuff. With that being said, it is time to address the real issues about whether this should remain a dealers / reseller forum, or an open retail forum.

The question lyes with DotComGod. Did he come here to be profitable or to just oversee a forum. My insight tells me he is here to break the bank. We as a community need to give recommendations to achieve this goal, while putting some money in our own pockets.

I will post my recommendations and thoughts in a new thread. It would be nice to hear from DotCom the general direction the forum is heading. We could then taylor our posts.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The thread is good reading and we are trying to improve the board based on the suggestions given.

As for walking on eggshells, while some may be acting that way, it is rediculous. I asked for opinions and will not be angry or pissed or even banish people for giving them.

But that doesn't mean we have to agree on everything, sometimes I will be right and sometimes you will be. As long as it makes dnforum better, I could care less who is right.

As for webhold's last post, two thumbs up, it's a good one.

-=DCG=-

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WebHold
After reading all these threads I get the feeling that everyone is walking on eggshells around here. Especialy the moderators.

:confused:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

How about a DNJournal.com Logo? :D

Think about it. With the graphic element, Avatar marketing could be bigger than Signature marketing.

Hey... Not a bad idea.

btw: I'm extending your "Signature Marketing" contract another week (from tomorrow). I was impressed with your article about NamePopper.com. He's a good guy, and deserves all the exposure he can get!

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My first question is, what is important from a marketing standpoint? What brings people to this site?

In my opinion the live auction can be used as a tool for growth and continued marketability. In an effort to accomadate growth outside the resellers only market, it is my belief that the minimum for the live auction should be $15. We are all here to make money. It does not do any one of us good to sell a name for $1. The upside is that it forces resellers to do their homework and not register garbage. Leaders direct and implement change, it is time for this forum to drive the value of a domain up before enormous traffice comes to this site.

My second question is, How does WLS affect this forum? How do we take advantage of it so to put money in our pockets?

For starters we should consider a WLS category or section, so that we can be ahead of the curve. Once WLS starts, it is going to drop like a bomb.

Should DNforum become a registrar for domains?

In my belief the answer is yes and requires some real out of the box thinking. We need one registrar to reg our names and a place to house all of our names. How do we achieve this? Platinum Members get regs at lets say for example $6.59 (better than enom) and free transfers for all domains into dnforum. This can be pulled off by raising membership prices. Not a popular concept, but one to be considered for the long haul. Separate plans for registering (more profitable) can be put together for gold and silver members.

Rolling up the market of the reseller business into one site is an interesting concept and adds value and credibility to the customers and site.

If this was the strategy, how do you marry dnforum to the WLS? I say this is the million dollar question.

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i think theres been some interesting points made about having a more business attitude here

im a member of an affiliate forum called iafma where your username must be your real name and the avatars are all photos

at first its strange but it does attract a high calibre of professionals to the site

some more points :
* the glow adds nothing to bandwidth
* another skin is needed for plat members - charging $50.00 or whatever and then blasting members with ads is clearly not going down too well
* doing business with cartoon avatars doesnt bother me in the slightest - someone with a professional picture or image could rip you off before homer simpson did!!
* with regards to converting visitors to members - force visitors to have to register to see the rooms that are currently available to everyone
* the new owners seem ok but i really do think they have to participate more in the forums - of all the threads like this one suggesting new ideas etc i have only see them comment in one or two. However i understand that they are busy etc so it might be worth while employing someone as admin or asking mods here to act as a go between the members and the owners

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom