Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

duba¡.com 1,650 USD 4h 16m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is a scam because I deeply think the buyers are being misled.
Do you really believe all the 21 bidders knew what they were buying?

Unlike SEDO, on forums sales we can post more info, maybe that would help.

Probably not all knew, but on Sedo, there is a prominent "IDN" tag by the listing of any IDN, and that was the case for this one too, and it's really up to the bidders to check that.
Additionally, for any listing on Sedo you can add a lot of info in the offer description, just as much as you can in a forum.

Domain Days 2024

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If this is true, I'd like to see their face when they figure out they didn't buy "dubai.com" .... as they thought they did :eek:

They deserve it, if they thought they got Dubai.com for $1,650. :disappointed: People in Dubai pay $1,000,000 to get a specific license plate. I wonder what they would pay for Dubai.com. :)

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Probably not all knew, but on Sedo, there is a prominent "IDN" tag by the listing of any IDN, and that was the case for this one too, and it's really up to the bidders to check that.
Additionally, for any listing on Sedo you can add a lot of info in the offer description, just as much as you can in a forum.

True. There is also a huge, colored box which clearly states that the domain is an IDN and that you are actually bidding on xqn-30049.com* (* example).

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the domain is an IDN and i think the price is good.

If you ask anyone that is serious about IDNs, this is a "phishing" domain, a mixed script to fool you into thinking it is something it is not. In this case....dubai.com.

Simply put, the domain is absolutely WORTHLESS!!

SEDO should be ashamed to allow these to be sold in their marketplace. The buyer is going to be PO'd when they find out they have a worthless piece of crap domain that will not get 0 typein or traffic.

If they want to sell these they should be labeled and flagged "IDN Mixed Script Vanity Domains".

Mixed script IDNs are BANNED from sale on all 3 or 4 IDNForums to let you know how the community at large feels about them. Countless letters to SEDO has done nothing to slow them down from making a buck on someone elses unknowing misfortune.

Last edited:

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they want to sell these they should be labeled and flagged "IDN Mixed Script Vanity Domains".

They ARE clearly labeled as IDNs in the listings, plus on the auction page itself it's explained that it is an IDN, and that you really buy the punycode domain, for which the punycode is also listed.
Check any IDN auction on Sedo, and you see how it looks. (In this case it said that the domain name you were really buying was "xn--duba-3ea.com")

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I find amazing is that the name drew bids from 8 parties :rolleyes:
Too many suckers in this industry.

The buyer is going to be PO'd when they find out they have a worthless piece of crap domain that will not get 0 typein or traffic.
Serves them well :)

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They ARE clearly labeled as IDNs in the listings, plus on the auction page itself it's explained that it is an IDN, and that you really buy the punycode domain, for which the punycode is also listed.
Check any IDN auction on Sedo, and you see how it looks. (In this case it said that the domain name you were really buying was "xn--duba-3ea.com")

To take my opinion even a step further this should NOT even be allowed to be listed as an IDN without some strong qualification that it is a mixed script domain. Like I said, this domain would NOT even be allowed to be listed for sale on any of the IDNForums.

An IDN should be a domain that is written in ONE script and ideally a word you can put into Google and get real results in the language in which it was written (with a few exceptions for terms commonly used otherwise).

IDNs are going to get a big roll out in 2009 by ICANN and registrars around the world (idn.idn) and I am sure this mixed script issue will be dealt with in some fashion. SEDO is doing a disservice to the domain industry to allow these mixed script (phishing domain) sales to happen over and over.

Last edited:

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the auction page had a big frame below the domain name that said that this is not Dubai, but an idn domain etc. There is no way anyone could've missed it.

AçA.COM
Domain Name without content.
Important Notice: This is a Multi-Lingual (IDN) Domain.
Technically you are acquiring the domain xn--aa-4ia.com

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To take my opinion even a step further this should NOT even be allowed to be listed as an IDN without some strong qualification that it is a mixed script domain. Like I said, this domain would NOT even be allowed to be listed for sale on any of the IDNForums.

An IDN should be a domain that is written in ONE script and ideally a word you can put into Google and get real results in the language in which it was written (with a few exceptions for terms commonly used otherwise).

IDNs are going to get a big roll out in 2009 by ICANN and registrars around the world (idn.idn) and I am sure this mixed script issue will be dealt with in some fashion. SEDO is doing a disservice to the domain industry to allow these mixed script (phishing domain) sales to happen over and over.

What you're saying is that this type of domains shouldn't be allowed to be sold at all, in any fashion, no matter how clearly it is stated what they are.
In that case they shouldn't be allowed to be registered at all, but since they are, they should be allowed to be sold.
I would agree with you if it was implied that it indeed was "dubai.com", but it was clearly marked and explained that it wasn't.

If that type of domain should be allowed at all is another matter.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well I don't think it actually matches the ICANN definition of an IDN, so it could still be regarded as fraudulent. Blame Verisign perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom