Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

DVD and CD duplicating domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbst23

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering about launching domains about DVD and CD duplicating and DVD and CD copying.

Now if I was to put Google Ad Sense ads on these domains, which promoting products that offer DVD and CD copying and Duplicating services and products, and then customers use these products illegally, could that in any way come back to me?

Or if the advertisers sell products that allow for illegal copying, is it on them...I guess for refferring the user, could any of it be tracked back to me if those products are indeed used in a non-legal manner...

I know this sounds like I am being overly concerned, but that is how I approach this stuff on occasion!

sjaguar13

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a CD printing and duplicating company. If someone sends in something we know is not legally theirs, we will not duplicate. Otherwise, they have to send in their signature on our contract saying they own the rights to it.

With that being said, I don't see how you could be liable for anything. A computer can be used to burn illegal DVDs, and Dell isn't held responsible.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This depends in a big way on where you live, and where you do business.

In Canada right now there is legislation now before the house of commons Bill C-60 somewhat similar to the US DMCA but less draconian. It may die if there is an election soon

In the US there is the DMCA and that may have all sorts of legal ramifications regarding this if there is any US nexus. For example a US based advertiser, server etc.

I can go on for example DeCSS is legal in some parts of the world illegal in other parts of the world, and more often than not subject to litigation.

My one suggestion here is to get legal advice in every jusridiction you plan to do business in. :-O

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't sell model glue. Kids might sniff it.

Don't sell laundy bleach. People might use it to make crystal meth.

Don't sell cigarette papers. People might use it to smoke drugs.

Etc.. etc... etc...

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The law allows for "back up" copies of all owned software. As long as you don't portray the DVD / CD duplication software as a means of achieving illegal duplication you should be fine.

NB: *coughjohndidyoureceivetheemailwiththeimagescough*

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
The law allows for "back up" copies of all owned software. As long as you don't portray the DVD / CD duplication software as a means of achieving illegal duplication you should be fine.

NB: *coughjohndidyoureceivetheemailwiththeimagescough*

Yes. But if you have to break the copy protection in order to make a fair use backup copy, is this not illegal in the US under the DMCA?

Correct me if I am wrong. But is it not illegal to distribute DeCSS in the US even if it is portrayed as a means of making legal fair use back up copies?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
DeCSS is not software to duplicate DVDs; it's a program to rip them onto a different medium: a video stream.

Duplication of a DVD via specific software to achieve a back-up copy (which itself is not copiable) is 100% legal.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
DeCSS is not software to duplicate DVDs; it's a program to rip them onto a different medium: a video stream.

Duplication of a DVD via specific software to achieve a back-up copy (which itself is not copiable) is 100% legal.

So if I understand this correctly a "fair use copy" must allways, if the original is copy protected, be on the same medium as the original in order for it to be fair use in the US?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It depends on the specific EULA - license terms.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acroplex said:
It depends on the specific EULA - license terms.

If the copyright holder agrees then of course you can make as many copies as you want, but that is not the point. The point of "fair use" under copyright law is that there is copying under certain circumstances that is legal without the permission of the copyright holder.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Again, the EULA defines the method & medium. Some allow digital copies - files - others only physical copies on CD/DVD.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Though I can't recall it off the top of my head, I believe there was a court ruling saying making personal copies of a medium you own is legal. I believe the ruling stated that the owner has a right to protect his investmest (IE- CD or DVD) by making a copy in case something were to happen to his copy which he purchased. I think it was stated that the buyer bought a "license" from the copyright holder and not an actual product (or something along those lines), therfore; the buyer is just protecting his license.

Now selling copies is another story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom