Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Easter for the Non-Believer (serious thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

exponent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Steven, and its a relatively safe assumption to say that I'm a non-believer (I question various aspects of faith and the Judeo/Christian account of things). I have made this thread with an open mind and an open heart, in hopes that others like me will have the courage to share their ideas and beliefs in a fair and constructive manner for everyone so that those seeking truth (like myself) might find it through this thread. Additionally, if you don't have the time to read this thread, consider this video by one of my good friends on Youtube as it narrates the same point I'm trying to express.

A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thoughts to his steps. (Proverbs 14:15, NIV)

My Story:
I grew up in southern Ohio and attended church services regularly. For the longest time, I suppose you could say I was blinded by my faith. It wasn't easy growing up in a relatively conservative area. My family mostly attended Methodist / Baptist services on a regular basis. I always felt a strange connection with faith, often finding the Bible was far better at creating questions than giving me answers. Questioning things has always been my nature. I have an inquiring mind. Sometimes, I was met with understanding, other times, hostility.

It wasn't easy, that was for sure. I always went to church with my Great Grandmother, and her best friend Ida. Many times, I learned a great deal from what the Bible had to offer. Other times, I questioned why God seemed so angry and disconnected from the teachings of the Bible. These questions plagued me for the remainder of my youth. After my Great Grandmother died of Cancer and an uncle was brutally killed by a drunk driver, I questioned my faith. I wondered why God would allow such tragedies to happen to good people.

The Transition to Catholicism:
I began reading my Bible more closely, scrutinizing everything in hopes of gaining a deeper understanding of my faith. I opened my heart and mind to alternative beliefs, and started going to different church services in order to realign my heart with God. I joined the U.S. Army to serve my country and get an education that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford. While I was at Ft. Sill, I had the pleasure of being introduced to a very good man of God. He was the Chaplain, and a Captain. I spoke with him about services, since soldiers were normally only permitted to attend their own specific services. He graciously allowed me to attend other services on Sunday, provided that I helped out with clean up after the conclusion of Sunday service.

Through this time, I drifted toward Catholicism. I felt relief that I could confess my sins and seek atonement without the having others in the church question me or think poorly of me. After all, its really none of their business to judge (Matthew 7:1-5). Through Catholicism, I was able to embrace the Bible as more of a guide than the literal truth that I had once perceived it to be. I felt a connection to many other people where I could openly discuss and study the Bible since a lot of the people that I went to mass with were rather open minded, rather than ultra conservative. It was a wonderful experience for me. I embraced many of the ideas of John Paul II and studied the teachings of St. Christopher, St. Francis, and St. Thomas (the apostle as well as Thomas Aquinas).

In dozens of letters spanning 66 years, Mother Teresa described the "emptiness" she felt and confessed her struggles with faith and the existence of heaven in pages she had planned to have destroyed. I suppose that is where I'm at.

Seeking Truth
Through the encouragement of others, I sought to strengthen my faith and find truth among distortion. Some of the things I found were amazing. Many things I have discovered confirm my beliefs and many things oppose them. I started by familiarizing myself with history, learning more of the origins of how the historical records of antiquity came to fruition. This insight was a helpful starting point for what was to come.

Studying history was a great way to start because it allows you to examine how the Bible has been altered over time from its true (or more likely to be true) form into what it is today. It opened a lot my mind even more than it was already. This allowed me to continue my study of my faith and the bible in more detail and with much more scrutiny. I suppose this was my epiphany. From this point on, I decided that I would no longer believe something without seeking some form of confirmation of truth (Romans 1:21-25).

I hope each of you will seek truth. I would be honored if others would share their stories as well. :yes:

Domain Summit 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators