Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Eleven minutes ... Totally baffled

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainMyName

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last night at 6:50pm, I registered NascarDads.net & org at RackShack. At 7:01pm, I was astounded to receive a telephone call from a prospective buyer in Indiana asking how much I was asking for NascarDads.net. That's 11 minutes after registering the name(s)!

Just to confirm and reconfirm my expectations, I promptly checked the whois at RackShack, Network Solutions and BetterWhois and, as expected, the whois had not yet generated the registrant data.

How, then, do you suppose the caller was able to access my registrant and contact data in the span of less than 11 minutes? (You can pretty much eliminate the remote possibility that the caller works for RackShack. His call originated from Indiana. RackShack is in Houston.)

20 DN$ to anyone who can definitively solve this mystery?

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did you check the WHOIS at pir.org too?

That used to update within a matter of a few minutes. Don't know if it still does.

Do I get the 20 DN$? :)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is what happened ..on NBC world news last night they did a story on How "Nascar Dads" are potentially the next big political "force" that the polititians need to pay attention to.. Like they have been with "soccer moms" ..

I am assuming you probably also seen the story and reged the name.. you simply beat a few thosand others who also had the same "bright" idea at the same time..

out of those thousands..
1 Guy wanted it bad enough to actually give you a ring..

Who-is DID update ..it simply had not propagated throughout the entire web..but it did where the prospective buyer lives

I would sell .. for a quick $500 before the hype setttles down....

DomainMyName

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotNetKing
Did you check the WHOIS at pir.org too?

Do I get the 20 DN$? :)

Unfortunately, TheStokie solved the mystery -- timestamped at about 10:45am -- at NPros, followed thereafter by several consensus confirmations.

Insofar as RackShack is an OpenSRS registrar, the registrant data, I am told, is almost immediately available at http://resellers.tucows.com/opensrs/whois/. As Johnny Carson used to say, "I did not know that" ... 'cept Johnny got megabucks for being oblivious :)

Thanks, however, for chiming-in with a worthy response, dNK.

Scott

DomainMyName

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
Here is what happened ..on NBC world news last night they did a story on How "Nascar Dads" are potentially the next big political "force" ... I am assuming you probably also seen the story and reged the name.
Exactomundo ... although the growing buzz had tempted me to register the names several weeks earlier. Brokaw simply closed the deal. :-D
I would sell .. for a quick $500 before the hype setttles down....
He said he was going to call the .com owner and get back to me if it was unavailable or overpriced. Haven't heard a word since.

Of course, offers welcome. :cheeky:

DomainMyName

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
UPDATE

FYI ... I spoke tonight with the guy who called last night to inquire about NascarDads.net. It turns out that OpenSRS was NOT the source of the whois data.

Are you sitting down? The 11-minute old whois data was accessed at --- are you sitting down? -- BuyDomains.com!!! I was completely blown away. As Butch and Sundance would say, "Who are those guys?"

So ... I just registered NascarDad.net and NascarDad.org and voila! Two minutes later, the complete registrant data was visible at BuyDomains' whois. Amazing. (Of course, OpenSRS had it, too.)

Question: Which do you think is a more valuable and viable domain to develop for the name's natural constituency, NascarDads.net or NascarDads.org?

I've pretty much made my conclusion. What's yours?

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
This is a cool thread. 11 minutes totally baffles me.

Congrats.org!

-Bob

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thats sweet!

I wish it would happen to me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom