Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Error: "Domain *** has an outgoing mail hold. Message will be reattempted later"

kinregva

Level 1
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have a problem for the last 5 days or so..
I use a joomla website in order to send newsletters for the company i work for, using acymailing. There was no problem until now and everything was running smooth, until one day no one was receiving their emails.
I got the following error reports:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its recipients after more than 24 hours on the queue on **server-name**.
The message identifier is: *****
The subject of the message is: ******
The date of the message is: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:34:47 +0000

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

***@***.com
Delay reason: "Domain **domain-name** has an outgoing mail hold. Message will be reattempted later"

No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up, and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.

Has anyone got any idea what could the problem be???

Thanks in advance!

Domain summit 2024

kinregva

Level 1
Reaction score
I use angellight web hosting.

The thing is that in the same server i also have 2 more websites that don't have any problem at all.
Also i have noticed that the problem exists even when i'm sending a single mail too and not only on mass emails.
To make things clear because the situation is a bit complicated..
Lets say that the domain with the problem is called "problemdomain.com" and the other two that are working fine are called "domain1.com" and "domain2.com".
If i send an email from "nick @ problemdomain.com" to "nick @ domain1.com" the mail arrives just fine and there is no problem. If i send the same mail to any gmail, yahoo, outlook or any other address, then it fails.

Can i check the quota or rate limit from my cpanel? Nevertheless i have set up my acymailing to send 100 mails every 15 minutes and i never had a problem for the past 2 years or so. Now even when a single mail is sent to an external mail provider, it fails.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Reaction score
As far as I know you can only perform rate limiting direct from the server or whm if using a panel. I would get in touch with your host but send a copy of the error. Also gmail, yahoo, and outlook are notoriously a pain in the backside to mail and I always use a separate paid mailserver if I have to send to them. However this problem doesn't appear to be coming from the receiving end.

kinregva

Level 1
Reaction score
Well actually i have contacted my hosting company and i have sent them the error reports but they did not provide a working solution.. I know gmail and yahoo (and the others) are a bit of a pain in the "you-know-where" but so far i did not have a problem with any of them.. Everything worked fine for over 2 years that i have been using this method to send my newsletters and there were no problems at all.. It seems a bit odd to have a problem with ALL mailservers at the same time now.. I would get it if it was with just one of them (let's say gmail or yahoo) but not all! :confused:

Reaction score
If this is from the outgoing end which it appears to be then you would have a problem with all mailservers as the mail is not actually being sent to any. This is not an error message from the receiving end. Your host has to look through the logs in /var/log on the server to determine where the problem lies. If he is a reseller himself then he will need the server owner to sort it.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators