Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Ever wonder where the Registration fee goes? Here's a break down:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domainmaster

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google Checkout seems like it will give Paypal a run for it's money. On Buy.com if you use Goog checkout you get $20 off any order $50 or more. I think they were also giving $10 off purchases of $30 or more.

Google has the resources to offer large incentives like this to many retail merchants, I think it will take off big time. I still like Paypal myself, but when they are giving deals like that it will allow Google to gather even more information about the buying habits of online purchasers and much more. I think the Goog will just keep growing. Their stock already went over $500 a share before backing down a bit. Now they are also in bed with YouTube, AOL, etc Time will tell.

FYI you can still buy domains at 1and1.com for six bucks. They make their money off hosting just like GoDaddy. I've used 1and1 for over a year and have been very happy with them.

Domain Days 2024

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1and1 stink as far as domain handling goes. Rather than drop names you don't renew, sometimes they just renew and invoice you. If you ignor the invoice they send it to a collection service. They are also part of the same company as Sedo. (a negative as far as service and fees go)

ICANN collects .25 per name for what? They provide absolutely NO representation for us domainers, NO protection, and continue to put in contracts that take advantage of us. By the way, some of these registrars charge .25 per name on .us even though there is NO such fee on those names. I still would also like to know how they can get away with getting paid a fee to deem a registrar "accredited" when it has absolutely NO meaning whatsoever?

Oh by the way, Fabulous has a real nice system (they actually respond to emails) that charges $6.75 per name AND they don't charge a credit card fee.
They also don't require a minimum "refill" of $100 like enom, meaning if you see that 1 name to reg, you can do it without having to tie up 100 bucks. Easy push system too.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree, recently started using a Fabulous account and find their various benefits and capabilities excellent and cust service top-notch.

After having accts at almost every registrar under the sun over a number of yrs I have found Moniker and Faboulus by far the best of them all, with really little comparison between these 2 and all the others.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree, recently started using a Fabulous account and find their various benefits and capabilities excellent and cust service top-notch.

After having accts at almost every registrar under the sun over a number of yrs I have found Moniker and Faboulus by far the best of them all, with really little comparison between these 2 and all the others.

Is Google checkout new? Is it supposed to become as common as Paypal?

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google Checkout seems like it will give Paypal a run for it's money. On Buy.com if you use Goog checkout you get $20 off any order $50 or more. I think they were also giving $10 off purchases of $30 or more.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm checking it out now. Looks easy enough.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Little pricey for an action figure of a $10 whore, even with the google checkout discount. Is it flamable?

And that's the "School Teacher Outfit" doll. You would really like the "Co-Ed Coke Whore Social Climber Outfit" doll.

I have no idea why I am encouraging this conversation. I guess because of something I noticed six years ago. It is quite obvious from the statements and body language of George Bush Sr. that Jeb is the good and beloved son, not George.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can google checkout be used between two people in a domain name transaction?

Reaction score
ICANN actually gets about $.36 for every registration. although there is a $.25 (tax) on every domain, there are also accreditation fees for each registry paid to ICANN each year that are also spread accross all domains at a registrar.

That's before you turn the lights on, employ great people, interfaces, infrastructure, etc.

Perhaps you can see what it takes to deliver premium service, security, functionality and charge $6.95 to dnforum members....

Just an FYI

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can google checkout be used between two people in a domain name transaction?

AFAIK no, it can't. GPay isn't the name anyway....... take a look at the gpay.com domain... not even owned by Google. However, check out the owner of the "gbuy.com" domain ;)

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Registrant:
Google Inc.
(DOM-1401170)
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway Mountain View
CA
94042 US

Domain Name: gbuy.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

I wonder what they are up to with gbuy.com

ICANN actually gets about $.36 for every registration. although there is a $.25 (tax) on every domain, there are also accreditation fees for each registry paid to ICANN each year that are also spread accross all domains at a registrar.

That's before you turn the lights on, employ great people, interfaces, infrastructure, etc.

Perhaps you can see what it takes to deliver premium service, security, functionality and charge $6.95 to dnforum members....

Just an FYI

That were my thoughts exactly when reading the article... and we love you for that monte :D

Validweb

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i don't see why verisign's fee should be so high. why does verisign need $6 if ICANN only needs 25 cents? What a rip off.

Consider nominet in the uk as an alternative, for names ending .uk. Their fee of £2.50/year is much less than verisign and icann's combined(even with the dollar at a 15 year low), you get a written certificate of ownership every 2years, and they are still able to provide the support to staff to deal with telephone calls and post from any member of the public. Add the fact that .com and .net have much higher volume than .uk, you can see how much joe public are getting ripped off.

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ICANN is a non profit organization. That's why they are all sold out

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom