Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Everyone know all the CIRA rules yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How sad is it that we have to learn about new rules from this board and trial and error. What new rules haven't been uncovered yet?

I just learned that when a domain is in "auto-renew grace" and is renewed, the CIRA whois does not update it for that 45 day period.

I just read here that a TBR domain that is not transferred within 14 days to a Registrant gets thrown back into the TBR.

I figured out that CIRA gives a false expiry date if your name goes into "auto-renew grace". It appears as if it has been renewed, when in fact it has not. If you check the expiry date during this 45 day period you could easily be lulled into a false sense of security that the domain is okay. I can see a lawsuit there, when a new domain administrator thinks everything is okay assuming because of the new expiry date that accounting has paid the bill.

CIRA told me that the "auto-renew grace" is "industry best practice". That statement tells me that their policies are geared directly towards the Registrars, ignoring the end users.

Vanster

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sad indeed :undecided:

The fact that CIRA no longer sends a renewal reminder also makes me wonder if the Registrars have managed to convince CIRA to make things so that more domains will end up in TBR. My Registrar didn't send me a domain renewal reminder either, so I'm a bit suspicious at this point. Couple that with the fact that the bar has been raised to become a Registrar, after some have virtualy cornered the market on 'clone registrars'. Something smells fishy in CIRAland :disappointed:

If they are turning away valid Registar applicants at 3 times the old fees, but allow an entity to own/control dozens of Registrars.... F'in stinks!!!

Conspiracy theory?? or fact?! :)

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

The fact that CIRA no longer sends a renewal reminder also makes me wonder if the Registrars have managed to convince CIRA to make things so that more domains will end up in TBR. My Registrar didn't send me a domain renewal reminder either, so I'm a bit suspicious at this point. Couple that with the fact that the bar has been raised to become a Registrar, after some have virtualy cornered the market on 'clone registrars'. Something smells fishy in CIRAland :disappointed:

If they are turning away valid Registar applicants at 3 times the old fees, but allow an entity to own/control dozens of Registrars.... F'in stinks!!!

Looks like people are finally starting to clue in.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

...fact ;)

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domainsatcost has this in the control panel:
Note that changing the registrant on your CA domains (including turning privacy on or off) will lock the registrant for a period of 60 days.

Other registrars state that changing the registrant email also locks for 60 days.

Are these accurate, and are they CIRA-generated or registrar-generated?

It seems if you sneeze wrong, your domain is locked for 60 days.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They must be using a in-house privacy system and not the CIRA provided system. Changing your privacy settings as CIRA does not lock your domains, also changing the registrant email address does not lock your domain for 60 days at CIRA's level. Transfering/Pushing/Registering locks your domain for 60 days at CIRA

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom