Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Experian Phone Calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever received a phone call from http://www.experian.com/ asking about your business information?

I got a call from them today and they wanted to know information for a "directory" of some sort. Then I went to their website and it looks like they do credit reports? They are a legit company, but I'm wondering why they would have needed my information.

Anyone else have a similar experience with them?

~007

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
NEVER give any info to such calls. Call them up yourself.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have also received the same phone call you did. They just wanted to confirm business name and address. I have to admit something doesn't sound right when they just call out of the blue like that. Nonetheless I'm glad someone else has received the same, more likely to be legit in that case. They didn't inquire about anything more than Company Name and address. Did they ask you for something more?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Hereby lay the dangers of unsolicited phonecalls.

Not just for spam.

Certain calls are entrapment; certain questions and consequent answers on your part can directly authorize the other party to:

1. Charge the CC on file
2. Switch debt from other CC's to theirs
3. Otherwise manipulate funds based on info they have on record.

DO NOT RESPOND TO UNSOLICITED CALLS.

OgieOgalthorpe

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Acroplex. Unsolicitated telemarketing phone calls give me the heebe jeebes.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ask for a verifiable phone number and employee name, and call back yourself.
This might me an ID theft ploy.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They SELL the data, including to telephone solicitors, in all kinds of ways.

I like to F--K with these people when I'm driving or have time to kill. I ask them how much they are going to pay me for the info. They'll say nothing, then I ask if I can have all of THEIR data for free -- that I want to put their database on my website for free. They'll say no, but I can buy it, blah blah blah. Then get into "if you give you data away free, why should I?"

My goal: get them to hang up in utter exasperation without getting info. It's fun! Although we sometimes have to go down the "what are you wearing" route to get there. Have fun with them - you have nothing to lose!

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, their number they called from is 1-866-660-6940.

I just called them right now and they removed me from both their calling list as well as their marketing list that is sent to soliciters. I would recommend anyone else who gave their information to them to do the same.

:)

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Experian is a fair sized company, is it not?

BTW, I am not saying that you should answer their questions.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
Experian is a fair sized company, is it not?

there are 3 major credit reporting agencies out there and experian is one of them ... not sure i'd offer up any info to them either.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personal data is their PRODUCT.

It's like Microsoft calling and asking you to write a new feature for Microsoft Office, but getting upset at the suggestion you should be PAID.

Mess with them. Tell them the name of the company has been changed to Poontang.info. Play a game see how long you can keep them on the line.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Juniper is right. They are a huge world-wide credit reporting agency. But they also are a huge data 'overlayer'. That means they will rent their database data to direct marketing companies looking for extra 'selects' on the basis of matching and indirectly augmenting data. Sly business. Some of it illegal in UK jurisdictions, under the Data Protection Act.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just called and got removed. What a pain!

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I usually do a reverse lookup when I get unsolicited calls that will not leave a voice mail message. If the callback account information is shielded or unavailable, then I know it's a telemarketer (or worse). Any legitimate party knows how to leave a simple voice mail message.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The person on the phone was rude too. She was nice until I gave the information, then really quickly she said "If you have any questions please call blah blah, etc." *click*

That was red flag #2 to me, and the reason I called and got removed. I was trying to ask her what they needed the info for after she asked if I had any questions but she hung up too soon.

Anyway, I'm all removed now so I don't care. At least more people here will know for next time. :)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh come on, have fun with them!

THEM: Who's the CEO?
ME: Dee Panal. But she's not "IN" right now. (Can't wait for the fun of telemarketers call and asking for deep anal!)

THEM: Street Adress?
ME: 69 E ATME Place

You get the picture...

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lol, I couldn't figure out Juniper's joke.
"The Panel"? What?

:-D

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Oh come on, have fun with them!

THEM: Who's the CEO?
ME: Dee Panal. But she's not "IN" right now. (Can't wait for the fun of telemarketers call and asking for deep anal!)

THEM: Street Adress?
ME: 69 E ATME Place

You get the picture...
:eek:k: E atme Place?!!!

Anyway I get calls like that and have them talk to my daughters... I used to put them on speaker and walk away to let them talk to themselfs. My daughters can frustrate a telemarketer to no end. "please give it to your daddy!" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom