Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

First time received a mail from someone wanting to buy my domain. [=HELP!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I fell for an appraisal scam. A buyer contacted me for one of my names (one month old domain) and I had it appraised. The buyer says his person has money tied up because of a recent big purchase and needed to wait. Cost me $88 for the appraisal.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yes, you did just get taken for an appraisal scam.

Fortunately, the first time I got one of those emails the concept of paying to sell my domain was beyond me, which got me questioning. But they're showing you just what you want to hear, and that's an interest in purchasing your domain name, potentially putting money in your pocket.

As soon as they exercise their escape clause in the "potentially" part, you're out $88, and you have ZERO chance of recovering that money. Since you paid for an appraisal. Not for them to buy your name. Very clever scheme they've got going.

Best you can do is post this scammer's information so that google searches will turn up this thread, and hopefully he'll get some spam in the process.

Sorry to hear you got taken.

Keep this in mind... just be glad that it was for $88, and there weren't a few more zeroes involved. Good to learn your lessons the cheap way, as opposed to in a way that will truly cripple you. $88 won't make or break you.

AustinBiz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think I fell for an appraisal scam. A buyer contacted me for one of my names (one month old domain) and I had it appraised. The buyer says his person has money tied up because of a recent big purchase and needed to wait. Cost me $88 for the appraisal.

Sorry to hear that. I've had a couple of such emails before also asking for appraisal. Luckily I knew that this was likely a scam by checking this information before. I told the potential buyer they should have it done himself. Only makes sense, if you buy anything normally you will check it out yourself and not ask the seller to do this on your behalf. This person sent me a few emails and was quite cunning offering me money straight away through paypal for my asking price $650, All he apparently wanted was confirmation of its value like a ceritifcate and he would pay extra if the valuation was higher through a service he of course trusted. I did offer him the chance to do the appraisal himself first, then If he was happy to purchase would deduct the cost of this after the sale. I cant see fairer than that if he is genuine. When he straight refused I knew that this was likely a scam and not genuine buyer. In reality noone should ask you to pay to appraise your own domain before any sale. If they think its too much then they can appraise themselves and make you an offer or walk on by cetainly not worth paying anything to appraise your domain for their potential benefit unless sure of a sale.

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Post the all details on the warning forum in case it is a new scammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom