Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Frank Schilling Lands an Astonishing $185,000 for CDN.net to Lead This Week’s Sales C

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Earlier today, DomainGang suggested that March 14 be termed as ‘Frank Schilling’s Day’, perhaps to honor the superstar domain investor’s salesmanship. Considering that Schilling was able to wrangle $185,000 for CDN.net, it’s definitely a suggestion we can take up in earnest. Jokes apart, CDN.net represents a massive sale for a .net domain, far, far ahead [...]

More...

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Happy Frank Schilling's day! I would seriously love to see how this negotiation went down...Amazing sale for a .net.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam Dicker said:
Earlier today, DomainGang suggested that March 14 be termed as ‘Frank Schilling’s Day’, perhaps to honor the superstar domain investor’s salesmanship. Considering that Schilling was able to wrangle $185,000 for CDN.net, it’s definitely a suggestion we can take up in earnest. Jokes apart, CDN.net represents a massive sale for a .net domain, far, far ahead [...]
Not clear from the wording whether the previous owner or a Broker at DomainNameSales made this awesome sale. Did Frank own it and sell it?

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess the million dollar question is how to convince them it is worth it. Buyer coulda gotten killer generic .com for that price (and they wouldnt leak traffic like this .net will)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe most domainers would have sold it for 5k or even less. Can you imagine when the offer went to 20k (assuming it did) saying no, then I am guessing 50k but no, later a no to perhaps 75k and then I would guess 100k offer but still no, next I imagine 125k still a no, and possibly 150k next but again a no. P.S. I can't even get 16k for a nice and good 2 letter dot-org with traffic!

Last edited:

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Almost same merits of dudu.com sale, unless you ask, you will never get.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Almost same merits of dudu.com sale, unless you ask, you will never get.

Some time ago after a decade of thinking hard about big sales like these on lower value sounding domains I finally figured it out when I realized is mostly just a numbers game combined with luck,

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe most domainers would have sold it for 5k or even less. Can you imagine when the offer went to 20k (assuming it did) saying no, then I am guessing 50k but no, later a no to perhaps 75k and then I would guess 100k offer but still no, next I imagine 125k still a no, and possibly 150k next but again a no. P.S. I can't even get 16k for a nice and good 2 letter dot-org with traffic!

They need to come to you. When you then add good negotiation skills, it can happen.

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure negotiating becomes easier when you don't need the money. It's not dissimilar to playing poker with a sufficient bankroll to withstand the swings.

That is obviously the case. But there are several ways to playing winning poker, as with making money with domains. Imagine the offers he keeps turning down for alot of his names, offers 99% of us would have accepted. Obviously he will win a few big pots, when that is all he is trying to do, but there is nothing wrong with chipping away and picking up the small ones. In fact, that is a very common trait amongst pokes pros, perhaps even more so than amongst newer players

To continue with the poker analogy, Frank seems keen to maintain his "table image", and for good reasons. I am not claiming he is doing anything wrong, in fact, from what I have seen/heard of him, he impresses me alot.

On a side note, I have an eye on one of his top .com's. I am currently developing the name in other TLDs, and if it turns out to be working, I plan to contact frank for a joint venture . One must be allowed to dream... :rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Knowing who the buyer is now would help to understand the price they paid. If Frank knew who the buyer was during negotiations, that also would have helped a lot in getting to that price. I wonder if CDN.com bought it (Computer Data Networks)?

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe one of the behemoths just wanted a vanity name for their content delivery network... not totally unreal.

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some time ago after a decade of thinking hard about big sales like these on lower value sounding domains I finally figured it out when I realized is mostly just a numbers game combined with luck,

Well, when you own as many names as Schilling does you increase your chances of having a killer sale, but still...What was the asking price, $300,000?

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As I keep saying (because it's true), I'm still very much a newbie, but even I can see that it wouldn't much matter what name someone like Frank Schilling had in his portfolio, it would automatically have increased value simply by his thinking enough of it to have it. Of course, this would only go where most of the names had clear value. But if this weren't the case, then he wouldn't be Frank Schilling, would he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom