Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Frank Schilling Lands an Astonishing $185,000 for CDN.net to Lead This Week’s Sales C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is that if CDN.net was posted here on DNF, it wouldn´t have gotten even a $1k offer.

This just proves that .nets are awesome and also way underpriced.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is that if CDN.net was posted here on DNF, it wouldn´t have gotten even a $1k offer.

What it proves is that domains are worth exactly what a buyer is willing to pay. One .net sale does not define a market.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If an end-user comes along with deep pockets and possibly not happy with their old domain (or maybe a desire to establish a new division) or in their view thinking it's a better domain, the price may not matter since they have such deep pockets and may not even care about how much they paid - plus the purchase is tax deductible anyway. Remember, to large corporation paying 200k would be similar to you or I paying say $200 - maybe even $20 by comparison.

Another example I can think of is the very high cost of prime time TV 30-second commercials which average a high $140,000 for 30-seconds on TV, making this purchase the equivalent of a one-time under a minute TV commercial! I watched American Idol last night where 30-seconds costs more than 500k to show you how insignificant a big domain purchase is. Again, it's most all luck and a numbers game. Even if you can somehow play that game the problem is 99.8% of domainers do not themselves have the deep pockets needed to decline assumed very substantial early offers made before the big one was accepted.

Last edited:

the_poet

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

It proves that .net still does amazing at what it was created for originally, network-related tasks, and CDN is one of them.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Content delivery networks are very "behind the scenes" and are exactly why the layperson would not generally understand the high selling price of this particular domain.

In this instance, the .net TLD was definitely the most suitable, but not in such a way that it justifies six figures, IMO.

While it's a big business, it doesn't have the same "general public" appeal that the same $185k could have bought otherwise. Millions will benefit from content delivery networks, but only a handful will actually "use" them, per se.

No doubt that the name is bragging rights. But not an expenditure I would sign off on personally, if I were a decision maker in the company who had bought the name.

Biggs101

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It proves that .net still does amazing at what it was created for originally, network-related tasks, and CDN is one of them.

I agree. Single keywords relating to NETWORK (under.NET) do and will continue to command mammoth prices.

Could email be included in "network-related tasks" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom