Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Free .info = what exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What exactly do you think will happen with all these free .info's around?.

Will it improve .info?
or
Will we see TONS of .info's expiring next year?

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well by the quality of what some people have registered, I think a lot might be dropping...

Ross1982

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it could help .info's

Once the offer is over a lot of good .info's would of gone, whether people will want them is another matter but I don't see it doingmuch damage, probably just go back to what it was if anything.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its only going to help the .info market in the future, this offer will leave less .info domains available in the future, which leads to less supply, which leads to more demand.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll go and reg 25 and sell em for cheap, so it'll hurt it :p

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
What exactly do you think will happen with all these free .info's around?

IMO, it will dilute the .info market significantly bringing down overall values of dot-info.

Perhaps the reason for this big promotion is the major .info players and .info site developers seem to be in Germany and the U.K. The domain market could be saturated there, after all they are relatively small nations vs the U.S. Info registrations and sales may have slowed down to the point something needed to be done to revive sagging sales.

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
its only going to help the .info market in the future, this offer will leave less .info domains available in the future, which leads to less supply, which leads to more demand.

Less supply doesn't lead to more demand. Less supply with existing demand leads to a higher price.

intelliot

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Which registrars are offering free .info?

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Real shame DomainSite.com is down so much 'cos of all this, though. Seems they can't keep up?

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
beshopalula said:
Real shame DomainSite.com is down so much 'cos of all this, though.

Maybe if you didn't post it on numerous other forums the site wouldn't have been down due to abuse and I could have finished registering my 25. :)

RealNames said:
IMO, it will dilute the .info market significantly bringing down overall values of dot-info.

I think this will only increase the "INFO BUBBLE" as I would like to call it. BIZ & US were low price alternatives for too long at $4.95. Afilias is trying to boost the bottom line and even if half of these names are traded and then renewed they will still be making a small profit and boosting recognition which could give a short boost. The more speculators that jump on this means less active sites for INFO which will hurt it in the long term.

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
clemzonguy said:
Maybe if you didn't post it on numerous other forums the site wouldn't have been down due to abuse and I could have finished registering my 25.

ah, touché! :wink:

BTW, don't underestimate on how many forums others (are the first to) mention DomainSite as the registrar to go to. And it seems DomainSite has been sending out press releases left and right about their free .INFO offer, more so than other registrars; see the Google search for the phrase "free .info domains".

Cheers!
Rob

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
beshopalula said:
DomainSite has been sending out press releases left and right about their free .INFO offer

Well I got at least 10 names and was making a list of other ones that I had held out on for a while but for the last 16 hours the site has been inaccessible.

I do like the idea of curtailing the supply to boost demand, but I think it will definitely lend popularity/usage to other extensions especially if people/end-users find those available instead during searches. But really most decent ones were already taken anyways. So this may have no effect at all.

Now maybe some of the people at Afilias who allowed insiders to use fictitious trademarks can finally sell some of their Tier-1 names for nice profit. :bandit:

M

mole

This Matt Stern guy sent an email to all eNom ETPs saying that .INFO prices will be $3 a piece. So I checked. If it is more than 1 year, it is the normal $8.95. If it is 1 year, it is $5.95. (I'm on the 8.95 ETP level)

Ello, are the Enom programmers sleeping on the job or what?

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder if domainsite.com will stop the special when they come back online....

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The .info names regged via this special pricing will consist of 3rd tier level names at best imho. More likely it will be 4th or 5th tier level names. The bad part may be that tier 1 and tier 2 info sales might get lost in the coming deluge of this worthless stuff. The secondary market may see a big supply of resales offered at low prices and apply that mentality to tier 1 or 2 level infos that should be pulling much higher values.

I'd rather Afilias did not offer these free, and concentrated on returning the names originally taken with fraudulent sunrise registrations.
Doc

M

mole

On the bright side, maybe the .commies will take this opportunity to familiarise witht the .INFO domain.

What is certain though, the good solid names are mostly gone.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just to update this thread, .info is now also free at Dotster.com and NameSecure.com.

I personally think that this will increase the value of .infos. More people are likely to start branding their business with .info (assuming they get their domains soon before all the resellers buy them up), therefore more exposure in advertising, therefore less aversion for people to buy .info. Think about it -- if the game were to start over right now, which would sound better -- .com or .info? .info, of course (what does "com" mean, anyway). But because .com is more familiar people have to have the .com. Once .info becomes more commonplace, people will be less averse to them.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
personally i think the free .info promotion will help their cause ... 6 months from now when someone is looking to secure their namespace they will see...

xx,xxx,xxx .com registrations
x,xxx,xxx .net
x,xxx,xxx .info
xxx,xxx .biz
xxx,xxx .org
xx,xxx .us

or whatever the actual numbers will be? .. .info will definetly move up the list and it is so intuative to what the internet is all about ... information

i think they are doing it at the right time so a year or so from now when the new tlds roll out they will look like the major player behind .com (and maybe .net)

personally i would prefer a .info that makes sense over a .net

just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom