Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

FreeWho.com - Domain/Hosting/Net Identity Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
A little preview, but I wanted to see what people thought of a new web interface I'm developing for gathering Whois data (among other things to come).

It's pretty simplistic right now, but it is a combination of buttons and keyboard actions that make it very easy to pick the type of domain you're looking for and get information on it. The up/down arrows allow you to scroll through domain extentions, click the buttons sets the extension for the server, spaces are automatically interpreted as hyphens "-", and illegal characters are trapped.

The first screen is just the start of the types of interface ideas that will be implemented throughout the website.

Let me know what you think.

www.FREEWHO.com

Do the keyboard shortcuts help? Do the buttons on the bottom seem confusing? While the "Advanced Options" section is not ready, do the options seem interesting?

Of course all of this has been "done before", but I'm trying to "perfect" the environment, and make the interface and ease-of-use definitive.

Thanks, muchly
~ Dudley

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Feel free to say all sorts of negative things too! I just can't stand all the positivity! :)

~ Dudley

M

mole

It looks promising wiz. Are you using some script or something for your navigation? The buttons don't work for me. :(

Originally posted by mole
It looks promising wiz. Are you using some script or something for your navigation? The buttons don't work for me. :(

Some do, some don't, as he said "A little preview", I believe it is not yet finished.

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Most of the top navigation has been editted to disable them until the pages are finished. I didn't want to have a bunch of "under construction" pages up for them. All the functions on that first page should function for IE5+/Windows and Netscape 6+ though.

I've currently got 74 words in the glossary and counting.

Mole, what do you think of the made up term "dotHistory"? I have a section I'm developing for info on all the country code domains and other TLDs, and under each I was thinking about listing important occurences in its history... like the day Verisign bought eNic or when the rights to .TV were originally purchased from Tuvalu. Sounded like something that could be its own website, but I'm too tired to register any new domains. :)

Thanks.
~ Dudley

M

mole

Dot.History has a nice flavor about it Wiz. The internet's history has been a relatively short but spectacular one. Most people will find it a fascinating read, especially how you see the internet evolving in the coming 3-5 years. Many speculators and resellers are looking for clues to that area, what with mega cctld .us recently being launched to the public and all that. Good luck on your site!

Dot.History has a nice flavor about it Wiz. The internet's history has been a relatively short but spectacular one. Most people will find it a fascinating read, especially how you see the internet evolving in the coming 3-5 years. Many speculators and resellers are looking for clues to that area, what with mega cctld .us recently being launched to the public and all that. Good luck on your site!

History = Future (coming 3-5 years) :confused:

M

mole

You need to understand the signs from the past to predict future trends, goh. Unfortunately, most people use heuristics to think through future decisions, and that tends to be based on past observations.

How to understand
".tv + .cc + .ws + .net + .org past"
and use them to predict
".info + .biz future"
?

M

mole

For a start, you need to know why ICANN was formed and why Verisign is in such dire straits now. Verisign projected there would be 150 million names registered by 2004. Even at 2m names, there is very left of immediate commercial value to pick out on any one single extension.

Over 90% of all dot-com names remain in virtual limbo with none or useless content.

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The dotHistory feature will probably stick more to loose trivia than anything truly comprehensive, but it should be interesting and generally informational.

I finally got the expired names search tool in there now though. 5 tabs make it pretty congested tab-wise, but rounds out the slots for the main domain tools aspect of the site. I was using it tonight and put together a nice list of recently available domains for a future business venture. I'll list the names in the other forum when we've picked the ones we may use.

Best,
~ Dudley

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators