Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Gas Prices ^

Status
Not open for further replies.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gas prices are rising. Stations here in North Carolina are running out of gas. This begins the downfall of our economy. :smartass:

$4.99/gal in atlanta. My sis and I were lucky to find a gas station for just $2.50/gal last night, though it had a 30 minute line. All of the other stations were around $3.00

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
09/01/05 is...... "do not buy gasoline day"!

1 day with no gas sales, should speak loudly to big oil.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
09/01/05 is...... "do not buy gasoline day"!

1 day with no gas sales, should speak loudly to big oil.

Terrible idea, they would raise the price even more to make up for labor.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duncan said:
Terrible idea, they would raise the price even more to make up for labor.

demand = higher price

no demand = lower price

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just wait for $6/7 per Gallon :-D

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to say that it will cause a downfall of an entire nation's economy. Yes it will impact it slightly and people will drive less, simple as that. In many other countries gas has always been this expensive:

Netherlands $6.77
Norway $6.56
Denmark $6.29
Belgium $6.02
UK $6.02

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's my point.

The sky won't fall down when gasoline prices rise to $3 or $6 even.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Then why was america's gas so cheap for so long? How did we get it at a cheaper rate?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
octobus said:
Yes, that's my point.

The sky won't fall down when gasoline prices rise to $3 or $6 even.

although, this is true....they (the oil comp.) have successfully sold you the acceptance of $3.00 a gallon, before it reached that point!

the price affects more than what you pay at the pump, it also increases the cost of other goods and services.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
NameYourself said:
I wouldn't go so far as to say that it will cause a downfall of an entire nation's economy. Yes it will impact it slightly and people will drive less, simple as that. In many other countries gas has always been this expensive:

Netherlands $6.77
Norway $6.56
Denmark $6.29
Belgium $6.02
UK $6.02

The people in these countries do not drive as much as Americans do (average American commutes between 40 and 80 miles a day - just to go to work). Public transportation is affordable and punctual. Not to mention that the 4 top nations on that list have a large number of bicyclist commuters.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
The people in these countries do not drive as much as Americans do (average American commutes between 40 and 80 miles a day - just to go to work). Public transportation is affordable and punctual. Not to mention that the 4 top nations on that list have a large number of bicyclist commuters.

Guess it's time to start up some bike shops here in the major U.S. cities d:)

Based on the 80 miles / day worst case work scenario here's some numbers. Figuring 250 work days per year after vacation and weekend days:

80 Miles Driving To Work: 4 gal/day = 1000 gal/yr

Average Cost Today $2/gal To Drive To Work: $8/day = $2,000/yr
Average Cost At $5/gal To Drive To Work: $20/day = $5,000/yr

Count in other places people drive as leisure and overall it would make probably about a $3,000-$5,000/yr difference per vehicle driver per year if it were to go as high as $5/gal. and that person had to drive 80 miles per day to work. Not sure what the overall impact of this would be although I'm sure it would get felt hard, I don't think it could cause a collapse. I'm not an economist though so feel free to add more input to the discussion.

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why does Americans get their gasoline cheaper?

Because your government levies less taxes on gas and to some degree, you drive with less octanes. Three quarters of the gas prices is tax in my country. The usual octane for gas here is 95/98 and sometimes you can even find 100. Your "premium" grade 92/93 hasnt been sold since mid-90s, if I remember correctly.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I can assure you, I drove 80 miles/day for 3 years - till finally I sold my house in the burbs. It's an insane pocket money killer. Most two-income families can barely make ends meet; can you imagine those that commute to 2 jobs?

Also, the impact of a raising gasoline cost is tremendous to the economy. Goods will cost more - because they need to be transported. So your calculation should not be linear, it does not include those secondary factors that eventually drive the trend into a parabole.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Goods will cost more - because they need to be transported. So your calculation should not be linear, it does not include those secondary factors that eventually drive the trend into a parabole.

Very good point.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
octobus said:
Why does Americans get their gasoline cheaper?

Because your government levies less taxes on gas and to some degree, you drive with less octanes. Three quarters of the gas prices is tax in my country. The usual octane for gas here is 95/98 and sometimes you can even find 100. Your "premium" grade 92/93 hasnt been sold since mid-90s, if I remember correctly.

octobus, also don't forget that in the US there is no such thing as socialized medicine, which in most countries in Europe is being paid for by gasoline taxes. I agree with your octane breakdown. Gasoline is "horrible" in the US compared to Europe.

Also, Venezuelans currently pay 12 cents per gallon for their "home-made" gas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom