Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

General Domain Name Discussion

Benton Slane

Reaction score
Why Do Domain Names Exist

Websites are stored on individual computers called 'servers.' These servers are assigned a unique numerical address (IP address) to identify themselves on the internet. Because IP addresses are difficult to memorize, a 'domain name' can be registered and assigned to a certain address. When you want to visit a certain website, you have to remember its domain name instead of its IP address.

It works kind of like your contact list on your personal phone. Rather than memorizing which person is associated with each phone number, you assign a person's name to that phone number. When you want to call someone, all you have to remember is their name and contact them.

Are There Different Types Of Domains

A domain name is a website address like ipage.com or google.com. A top-level domain (TLD) is the portion that comes after the period (ipage.com). There are several TLDs customers can choose from when registering a new domain. Some are generic TLDs, while others are specific to a country (.us - United States, .ca - Canada).

TLDs availability may vary from brand to brand, so the easiest way to determine what's available is to begin the process of registering a new domain on the brand in question and browse through the available TLDs.

Do I Need To Register More Than One Domain

One domain is usually enough to help people find you online. However, you can also choose to register multiple domains to protect your name and brand. For example, let's say you registered 'example.com,' but other companies could easily be related to 'example.net' or 'example.org.'

Does It Matter Where I Register My Domain

You are welcome to register and manage your domain through whichever company you choose. However, keep in mind that it is generally easiest to register and manage your domain through the same company that hosts your website.

Domain summit 2024

blogwriter

Reaction score
Does It Matter Where I Register My Domain
Once you register a domain, it's yours – it doesn't matter which service you purchased it from. If a domain is available, you can usually buy it anywhere you'd like. However, some domain registrars offer services or advantages that others don't.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom