Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

god.com ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who else saw 'god.com' on TDNAM with 7 bids at about $1200?

There were 5 days left on the auction - when I clicked on the details it was an IDN (privately entered). Looks like the bidders must've realised and withdrawn, or else GD pulled it for being an IDN.

So who's going to put their hand up?

Is the seller here, who must've thought Christmas was coming 2 weeks late - or any of the bidders, who probably never checked the fine print...

Domain Days 2024

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is why I think IDNs are a joke. Ebay used to be the place for IDNs to be sold to unsuspecting buyers. I like the concept of IDNs but they should be confined to .IDN. You shouldn't be able to type in someone's .com on an IDN keyboard and not get the real .com.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Scams will always be around but once people have full knowledge on what idn actually is they will have no excuse for being suckered into deals like that unless there's no clear mentioning of it's idn nature of course. As you said they backed out, as it will happen most of the time but just occasionally it happens that the scammers hit gold and that's why they keep trying and that's why people should be educated about this.

Obviously this 'God'-seller is or should be liable but we all know that the general state of online lawlessness or the certain lack of law representers makes it impossible to battle this behaviour, that's the real problem we're talking about here.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Scams will always be around but once people have full knowledge on what idn actually is they will have no excuse for being suckered into deals like that unless there's no clear mentioning of it's idn nature of course. As you said they backed out, as it will happen most of the time but just occasionally it happens that the scammers hit gold and that's why they keep trying and that's why people should be educated about this.

Obviously this 'God'-seller is or should be liable but we all know that the general state of online lawlessness or the certain lack of law representers makes it impossible to battle this behaviour, that's the real problem we're talking about here.

I'm not suggesting that the seller was trying to scam anyone - they clearly stated in the description that it was an IDN. It's just that if you didn't read the description, and just bid, like I assume some people did - they could have had a shock!

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting that the seller was trying to scam anyone - they clearly stated in the description that it was an IDN. It's just that if you didn't read the description, and just bid, like I assume some people did - they could have had a shock!

exactly. i see it like that. most domainers have or want little knowledge of idns. particularly newbies will never have heard of them.
it should clearly state it's an idn & in brackets say (god.com) as it isn't after all..god.com that is for sale!
the real god.com would no doubt go for 7 figures so there may be people bidding in the early stages, newbies etc , who wanted to just get involved. :smilewinkgrin:
probably thinking a $3k bid wouldn't put a dent on something that would be selling for $xxx,xxx up, not realising what actually was for sale.
i'll be honest i don't have a great knowledge of idns, i just think they need to be clearly labelled what is actually on offer. it might actually help their market if the sales pitch contains some info about idn's & their potential etc

nb: personally i have none & don't want any, so no spamming please ;)
Pred

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
saying IDNs are for scammers is stupid.....

allanh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what should have happened in this case is:

&&^(whatever God is in that language).com should be in the main title, with explanation for its meaning in English(God) in fine print

The seller did it the other way around, deliberately I believe, to mislead the public. Hence I still consider it a scam

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link for this scam, guys?

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link for this scam, guys?

No link as the name was taken out of the sale.

If it was a scam, surely the owner wouldn't have clearly stated it was an IDN in the description - which is on the same page as the box to enter a bid.

DarkStealth

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IDN are worthless to me unless you get the perfect one and they still suck if you do. I only buy .com and if I must .net but only if the .net is a great domain.

allanh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No link as the name was taken out of the sale.

If it was a scam, surely the owner wouldn't have clearly stated it was an IDN in the description - which is on the same page as the box to enter a bid.

even if it wasn't a scam, the seller definitely had the intention to deceive by putting god.com . The title of the sale should have the exact name of the IDN URL, instead the seller put the god.com as the main title and stating the IDN in small font in the description.

IMHO, he definitely was hoping people would think it's god.com rather than an IDN.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
even if it wasn't a scam, the seller definitely had the intention to deceipt by putting god.com . The title of the sale should have the exam name of the IDN URL, instead the seller put the god.com as the main title and stating the IDN in small font in the description.

IMHO, he definitely was hoping people would think it's god.com rather than an IDN.

Fair point allanh.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IDN are worthless to me unless you get the perfect one and they still suck if you do. I only buy .com and if I must .net but only if the .net is a great domain.

:eek: lol.... don't let RubberDuck here that... he'll get medievil on your buttocks with a 2 page reply on the history of IDNs and why they are the future of the industry:yes:

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

You obviously don't have a clue what IDNs are as they are also available in .com and .net.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Correct, he wasnt trying to Scam, but he was "Misleading" everyone, no different than what a lot sellers do on Ebay.

Kevin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Regardless of full intention, clearly it is easy for unscrupulous sellers to bemuse and exploit people with little knowledge about domains via IDNs.

As always: Caveat Emptor!

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Regardless of full intention, clearly it is easy for unscrupulous sellers to bemuse and exploit people with little knowledge about domains via IDNs. As always: Caveat Emptor!

Well said. IE7 will spot IDNs and puts the punycode up into the address bar so you can easily spot them. Also, if you "cut and paste" the words for sale and put them into google you will tell immediately.

Mixed script IDNs are pretty much worthless. EBAY has cracked down on them pretty good, and many domainers watch daily and alert EBAY to the scammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom